Backing up photos

bob-a

In the past, we took our laptop along with us on cruises. On our trip coming up shortly on the Island P., we are taking a tablet instead. I used to transfer photos from our camera thru the laptop onto thumbdrives. Can't do it with the tablet - no SD port, no usb port:(. Haven't sailed on Princess for a while, so question:

can I use the ship's photo shop to transfer pics from an SD card onto either a DVD or thumbdrive? If so, what would be the charge?

Additionally, would anyone have a suggestion for an alternative way of backing up photos. I get nervous without at least one or two levels of backup:eek:

Does your camera have built-in Wi-Fi? If so it would be easy and that is what I recommend. I have two Canons and one Nikon with Wi-Fi and I just follow their own Apps to transfer directly from the cameras to an iPad. This does not require you to use the ship's Wi-Fi so no cost is involved. If your camera does not have Wi-Fi I don't know of any way unless you use a computer with a card reader. Don't know about the ship's photo shop, they can certainly do it with their laptops but I don't know if they will or the cost.

Can you tell us what kind of device you have?

You say there's is no SD port, then ask if photos can be transferred from an SD card onto a DVD or thumb drive. If your device does in fact have an SD port, copying your photo files onto an SD card might be all you need for backup.

Lew

They do offer a service to transfer and archive camera pictures to CD or DVD.

If your camera uses SD card or similar , why not just buy a few extra cards. That way you don't have to worry about losing anything. I always travel with three SD cards for my cameras.

Maybe something like this: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/accessories/memory/access-devices/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma2-240gb-ssd I can't speak to how well it works though.

Aside from that, I feel your concern, and I have no good suggestions on how to go without a laptop. You'd be jealous of what I put together for our last cruise: a 240G SSD and three 1TB hard drives on my MacBook Pro. One HDD remained in the cabin safe at all times, and some "quick" scripts I wrote automated the process of copying images from SSD to HDD1 to HDD2 (I essentially had two HDD2s, one in the safe and one on the MBP). It also verified that the data was unchanged per card. I'd copy a memory card to a folder (e.g. "Card101"), then place the card on a paper with numbers written on it (101, 102, etc.). The script would tell me when each card was successfully copied/verified to three drives, and only then would I format/reuse that card. I'd load all of the day's cards onto the SSD when we got back to the room (worst case: 1h10m to copy 13 cards with 157GB), then launch the scripts while dined or slept. By morning, all cards were copied, and then I'd swap drives with the HDD2 in the safe, and re-trigger the sync/verify onto that drive. Once it finished, I'd free up space on the SSD to make room for more shots. :)

Does your camera have built-in Wi-Fi? If so it would be easy and that is what I recommend. I have two Canons and one Nikon with Wi-Fi and I just follow their own Apps to transfer directly from the cameras to an iPad. This does not require you to use the ship's Wi-Fi so no cost is involved.

I suspect the iPad does not have enough memory for the number of pictures many people take.

If your camera uses SD card or similar , why not just buy a few extra cards. That way you don't have to worry about losing anything. I always travel with three SD cards for my cameras.

That does not provide backup. If an SD card went bad, there would be no backup.

Can you tell us what kind of device you have?

Still waiting for a answer here. My Samsung tablet has both a sd card and usb capability. The usb is actually in the recharging power cord - just disconnect the cord from the power plug.

Ive been contemplating this problem myself and have found 2 products that might work. One is a western digital WiFi hard drive with SD slot (easy to find on Amazon) . you can transfer from SD card to the hard drive without a computer. You can also move images between several devices with the user of an app on your tablet or phone.

The other option I found.. Much cheaper was a RAV power hub with SD reader. You can attach a portable hard drive by USB which it will power up and then you use an app on your phone or tablet to transfer images.

It also doubles as a hub to charge your devices. I think it was around $40 on Amazon. I think this is the option I'm going to take . I have a couple of portable Hard drives here already I can use so it works out a lot cheaper than the WD option.

I use a ravpower filehub,

http://Http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-rp-wd01-filehub-3000mah-power-bank.html

Its a battery backup, has sd card slots, and usb.

Controlled by any device with wifi, even runs portable hardrives

Great to know someone who uses this and can vouch it works well. I will go ahead and order one now your confirmed it works well

Edited by daydreamer62

In the past, we took our laptop along with us on cruises. On our trip coming up shortly on the Island P., we are taking a tablet instead. I used to transfer photos from our camera thru the laptop onto thumbdrives. Can't do it with the tablet - no SD port, no usb port:(. Haven't sailed on Princess for a while, so question:

can I use the ship's photo shop to transfer pics from an SD card onto either a DVD or thumbdrive? If so, what would be the charge?

Additionally, would anyone have a suggestion for an alternative way of backing up photos. I get nervous without at least one or two levels of backup:eek:

Without knowing what type of tablet you have it is difficult to suggest alternatives. Also, are you taking any cell phones and if so what model(s)?

Yes the photo gallery can help you with transfer, not sure about the prices. ;)

I suspect the iPad does not have enough memory for the number of pictures many people take.

Mine does, bought larger memory... Obviously no idea what the OP's memory is but if he bought one with 32GB or above he is likely to have space even if he shoots thousands of pictures (videos are another matter).

If he has an iPad and his camera does not have Wi-Fi he can buy a Lighting to SD Card Reader from Apple for $29 and the issue is solved (assuming he has the memory). A caution here, this only works with iPads, not iPhones.

If he had a Samsung or similar it would likely have a card slot although it could be MicroSD and the camera could be SD (adapters available). His tablet has no USB or SD card slot as he said in his post so this is probably not the case. Without more details from him it is hard to help.

All that being said, I don't know why he is concerned. Cards can go bad but it is rare these days. His camera is more prone to failure during the trip than the card.

Mine does, bought larger memory... Obviously no idea what the OP's memory is but if he bought one with 32GB or above he is likely to have space even if he shoots thousands of pictures (videos are another matter).

If he has an iPad and his camera does not have Wi-Fi he can buy a Lighting to SD Card Reader from Apple for $29 and the issue is solved (assuming he has the memory). A caution here, this only works with iPads, not iPhones.

This is what I have and it works well.

All that being said, I don't know why he is concerned. Cards can go bad but it is rare these days. His camera is more prone to failure during the trip than the card.

I don't know about the OP but I shoot in RAW format and can get approx 500 photos to a 32gb card .. I can shoot that easily in a day overseas on holiday so I need a backup system or buy 20 or more cards . I've always taken a laptop but I really want to be free of it this trip .

Hence my reason for requiring backup .

Still waiting for a answer here. My Samsung tablet has both a sd card and usb capability. The usb is actually in the recharging power cord - just disconnect the cord from the power plug.

As I thought I mentioned initially, the problem is that the tablet has neither usb nor SD ports. I went back over and checked specs - it has a miniSD port and a micro USB port, that will not help in enabling transfers. Frustrating:eek:

Oh, and I have an HP android tablet. Camera is a Fuji finepix HS 30, so no wifi:(. Could I connect a hard drive to the tablet thru the microUSB port, if there's an app available for the tablet to control the :confused:hard drive.

Getting complicated - probably should have posted this on the site for tech camera advice, but started here thinking that if the Princess photo service is reasonable enough, I might go the simplest route. But appreciate all the advice:)

As I thought I mentioned initially, the problem is that the tablet has neither usb nor SD ports. I went back over and checked specs - it has a miniSD port and a micro USB port, that will not help in enabling transfers. Frustrating:eek:

Of course they will allow for transfers. You can buy miniSD cards that come with an SD adapter - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6329095&ST=pla&dgc=ST&cid=3852&lid=5352969&acd=1230881379347400. Use it in the camera then take out the miniSD card and put it in the tablet. That is what I do with my Samsung 10" tablet.

MicroUSB is just a connector size. You can buy cables with mini USB on one end and USB on the other. An example is http://www.amazon.ca/Eforcity-Adapter-Compatible-Samsung%C2%A9-Galaxy/dp/B00871Q5PI.

However, it may not be as simple as that. Which is why the query about the actual model of tablet.

Edited by broberts

RAVPower RP-WD01 Wireless Filehub / Media Drive

"The RAVPower Filehub lets you transfer photos, music or files between iOS devices and an SD Card or a USB HDD. You can also move files between the SD card and an attached USB drive. The RAVPower streams music, or video. The small unit has a 3000 mAh battery for charging smartphones, and using its NAS file server, you can connect multiple devices like a laptop, iPhone, iPad or desktop machine all at the same time!"

See more at: http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-rp-wd01-filehub-3000mah-power-bank.html#product

RavPower - With USB Stick & SD Card

EC172693-1C9A-44D2-AE48-AD35708AF352_zps5pleqj0y.jpg

~$40 on Amazon.com

RavPower - With USB HD (Note it powered) & SD Card

D286089F-6EEF-4D55-A6B5-AC96D5F5590B_zpsefqdrksu.jpg

RavPower - Software for all laptops, iOS, & Android

34931B13-D44B-4132-BC7C-7B0B3A0BFC9B_zpsy9y8kd2t.png

I have used it with much success, size of a small wallet so it can be carried with you as a batter charger/backup for your device

Uses wifi from handheld/tablet to access it.

Edited by M4dC0w