Taking a Digital SLR on the beach

MbaLady

I'll be taking my first cruise in June and of course I want pictures! The only camera I own is a DSLR which is expensive and bulky. What should I do with it on the beach? I know some people would say not to take it on the beach, but I want to take great pics and swim! Any ideas? I don't really want to buy a separate camera just for this purpose.

We have the same issue and ended up buying a water/sand-proof camera from Amazon. I can only see bad things happening by taking camera gear worth over 1000 dollars to a beach in a foreign country. Either damage or theft. We're still bringing out SLR, just not to the beach on the excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Either, ask someone to watch it while you hop in and out of the water, or don't bring it. Usually, you are easily able to "watch" your stuff while in the water, assuming you aren't swimming laps or something!

If it's something you don't want to lose, or can't afford to lose, don't bring it, unless you plan on being there with it all the time.

I'll be taking my first cruise in June and of course I want pictures! The only camera I own is a DSLR which is expensive and bulky. What should I do with it on the beach? I know some people would say not to take it on the beach, but I want to take great pics and swim! Any ideas? I don't really want to buy a separate camera just for this purpose.

My DSLR goes everywhere with me.

As for sand and water protection, I put it in a large zip baggie, then put that in a larger plastic bag. I carefully remove it to take all my pictures, then back in it goes.

As for theft, someone responsible will always have it within their grasp.

My digital camera is a cross between an SLR and the smaller pocket size digital cameras. I purchased something called a "DICA-PAC" (google them) for my camera so I could take it into the water with me. Basically, it is a thick plastic bag that your camera sits in with a covered opening for the lens. They have them for all different kinds of cameras. I believe, on the website, there is a place where you put down what kind of camera you have and a recommendation comes up. Anyway, mine came and I followed the instructions to the letter. I have ended up with some amazing snorkling pictures! To be sure, the first time I used it, I held my breath, as my camera is my baby and I would have been crushed if anything had happened. The dica-pac even held up beautifully when we had very rough surf in the Bahamas in 2011. Another added bonus is that, because of the air that invariably gets trapped in the pac, the camera floats on the surface of the water. Just a thought.

I'd also suggest a "superzoom" lens (like an 18-200 or similar) so you don't need to change lenses on the beach (considering renting one if you don't own one and don't want to buy one "just" for this trip). I'd also suggest a UV filter to help minimize sand intrusion (usually I'm anti-UV filter, but harsh conditions it's worthwhile IMHO).

...a difficult decision. I have taken my Nikon D90/18-200 lens, on every trip. Most recently, I have left the camera on the ship when going to the beach.

* Hate to admit it, but it has become cumbersome to carry around in my backpack. Not to mention the towels, snorkeling gear, water, sunscreen, and other stuff.

* Who will be watching your camera when you're swimming? My wife and I could never swim together thinking someone could just easily take our backpack (and the camera).

* If you allow someone to use your camera...will they have sand in their hands? Will they have sunscreen in the hands? Will their hands be wet? (Of course you'll handle your camera with more care.)

* You will soon discover that there are plenty of photo ops under the water as well........and would want an underwater camera. This was exactly what happened to us. Ultimately, we purchased a Nikon AW100 and use it strictly for our beach days. We have great pictures on the beach and some outstanding underwater photos and videos. :)

If we are going to be sightseeing and going to the beach, I take my dslr and dh and I take turns in the water so one of us is always with the camera. If we are going to be at the beach all day with no sightseeing, I take my underwater camera and leave the dslr on the ship. Sometimes, if the beach is supposed to be beautiful, such as Trunk Bay on St. John, and I want tons of pictures, I choose to walk the beach for pics, put my feet in the water, and read in the sand rather than swim so I have my dslr. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable asking a nearby stranger to watch it.

My digital camera is a cross between an SLR and the smaller pocket size digital cameras. I purchased something called a "DICA-PAC" (google them) for my camera so I could take it into the water with me.

This is more of what I had in mind! Just worried it would be cumbersome.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I definitely won't be leaving it w/ a stranger. I am spending a ton of money on this cruise (it's my honeymoon), while also getting married and just bought a home! So I doubt I'll fit another camera into my budget. So right now, I think I will decide whether or not to take the DSLR on the beach or buy a waterproof bag.

Sony is selling its TF1 16 Mega Pixel Shockproof, 33ft waterproof and dustproof camera @ 50% off on its ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Official-Sony-Store

I have it and it takes great pictures. You can see more details on the regular Sony store website: http://store.sony.com/cyber-shot-digital-camera-tf1-zid27-DSCTF1//cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-Cameras;pgid=iFRekzJXcnRSRpzpaJnnTVAV0000_3U41Ia0?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3DTF1

See if this suits your needs. Totally worth it in my opinion for the price. This way you can carry both of your cameras. I do that.

NOTE: I have ruined a Nikon D5200 DLSR with a waterbag. Would never do it again my life. This was the bag I got: http://www.amazon.com/DiCAPac-WPS10-Waterproof-Cameras-190mm/dp/B00169HXW2

Edited by canbonbon
Added a note

If you want to take an expensive camera (or expensive anything) to a beach you should stay with it at all times or leave it in the care of somebody you trust. Many of we beach lovers (I spend many months a year at various beaches) have learned (the hard way) not to take any valuable to a beach that we cannot keep on our person when in the water. Bottom line is that we never leave any unattended "valuables" on any beach...and we have never lost any valuables as a result.

Hank

Assuming you have more than one memory chip for the camera (and you should), leave any with photos on them on the ship and only take a blank chip with you. That way, should your camera be lost or stolen, you won't lose all your photos.

Art

As long as I have been taking photos, I too have been worried about getting sand in my camera and cringe when I see nice cameras on the beach.

I also used to drag an SLR camera everywhere I went like a ball and chain. But with 35 years of pictures (including Kodachrome slides back in the day) that I've done little with other than put some photo memory books together, I downsized to a decent compact camera that fits in a case I can carry in my pocket. It's not like I take photos to sell them as art or stock photos to make money. I have been freed from the ball and chain and still take decent photos to remember our trips. :)

Will someone else be with you that can guard your camera while you swim? Also, you need a protective bag to keep your camera in while you are not using it. Beach sand is attracted to anything that is expensive, including cameras, iPads, e-readers & laptops.

Otherwise, make a choice. Either buy a waterproof camera (the Canon D10 or the Pentex WG-2 are my recommendations) or don't swim.

I am a photography teacher and have some awesome equipment, but I buy throw-away cameras for the beach.

I am intrigued with the Sony FT1, but my biggest concern is shutter speed. I have a P&S and the shutter is so slow. We have 2 water excursions on our upcoming cruise so I would love to finally get a camera for the water. I have 3 disposables from several years ago I haven't even developed. What to do...

I am intrigued with the Sony FT1, but my biggest concern is shutter speed. I have a P&S and the shutter is so slow. We have 2 water excursions on our upcoming cruise so I would love to finally get a camera for the water. I have 3 disposables from several years ago I haven't even developed. What to do...

I am not taking my good camera. I just bought a P&S camera and a dive rated case for it. Much less expensive than an underwater camera. I saw mixed reviews on the underwater cameras as to their reliability for being waterproof. Hope this helps some.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

My DSLR goes everywhere with me.

As for sand and water protection, I put it in a large zip baggie, then put that in a larger plastic bag. I carefully remove it to take all my pictures, then back in it goes.

As for theft, someone responsible will always have it within their grasp.

^^This^^

Why own a dslr if you arent going to use it, i always say.

If it gets lost or stolen, its covered under my home owners insurance. If you dont have insurance, you can buy it for a reasonable amount of money.

• 1 month later...

I put mine in a waterproof dry sack (you can get from any outdoor store or amazon) and make sure my hands are clean and dry before taking it out. The dry sack has a strap so I can take it in the water with me and not leave it behind on the beach. I also have a P&S that I bought a waterproof case for and that I use most often. Sometimes though, you need your big camera when that perfect shot comes your way. :)