Buffet Meals

4Mast

I’ve had the pre-plated buffets in Vegas.

Difference is on my May 2014 Summit Cruise - the same plates would languish and languish. Fine, put pancakes in a plate. Pre-plate it. BUT do it in a fashion that stuff doesn’t sit and get old.

Funny part: To each his own BUT i read some nice reviews where people say “Restaurant X on the ship had slow service - but so what, i’m on vacation - no hurry” BUT- then they explain that while the Summit Buffet pre-plates were not so good- they appreciated the speed and convenience.

Hmmmm, “you’re in no rush on vacation” when service is slow, BUT “you prefer quickness” when the pre-plated buffet isn’t up to par.

I’ve concluded, people fall into lust and love with cruise-lines and will justify and make excuses for their beloved line.

Kinda nice to see actually. So cute. Awwwwwww.

We solved the issue of no trays. Most cruise lines without trays, have dishes large enough you can put most of what you may want on one plate, as long as it is not something like soup (liquid).

We make a selection, put on one plate, cover the plate with another clean plate, stack another plate for bread on top. We generally get a few beers, open later, after we take our plates back to our cabin, to enjoy on our balcony.

We have no desire to sit up in the buffet area, too noisy. We prefer the quiet of our cabin area. When we want coffee, we order coffee from Room Service, order coffee for after our meal, ask the Room Service folks to take away the plates from lunch and tip them.

Some times we use the tray from our Room Service breakfast as an alternative. After cruising for years, we have learned how to use what is available to suit our needs.

if my table is cleared and gone, just find another someplace else.

This may work well as you are traveling solo.

I like to meet back up at the table with my 'peps'.

The method we use is to get water, coffee and cutlery. Set the table so it is clear that someone is sitting there. Often leaving a book or bag on the table too, then leaving to get food. If we need more of something one stays at the table.

This may work well as you are traveling solo.

I like to meet back up at the table with my 'peps'.

The method we use is to get water, coffee and cutlery. Set the table so it is clear that someone is sitting there. Often leaving a book or bag on the table too, then leaving to get food. If we need more of something one stays at the table.

With Peeps it's even easier, one person stays back while the rest get the goods. Like holding seats in theatre, or pool deck or bar while someone goes to use the facilities. :D

But the best thing as you say, is leave something personal there while you seek out additional items, and make the table look obviously used (don't leave silverware on plate, put it neatly on a folded napkin by the side of plate).

When I abandon a table, I fold my napkin in quarters and place it over the plate, to over the mess and make it look pleasant. Same thing with room service orders and I place tray in hallway, cover it up. I always hated seeing messy plates on rooms service rays in hallways of nice hotels.

For at least the first 20 years of their existence, Celebrity had trays in the buffet (all of our first cruises on Horizon class, C class, M class). Never really noticed a problem one way or the other (definitely did not make them less upscale--e.g., waiters were always available to assist you with your tray) except that people tended to put more food on them (and waste more) due to the amount of real estate available. With the introduction of the S class ships and their action station approach, they began to eliminate the trays on the older ships.

I always hated seeing messy plates on rooms service rays in hallways of nice hotels.

And you, as a former manager of a nice hotel, surely know that is exactly why they ask that you please do not place the tray in the hallway but call to have it removed. ;)

I might hold a table with a book or jacket but not with food, drinks or silverware. Don't like the idea of leaving those to be tampered with.

We normally do the buddy system, one gets an empty plate and another on top loaded with food for two; the other gets drinks. Works for us but I have had dirty looks for saving a table and for how much food I have on my plate. Don't really like buffet but make the best of it.

The challenge with trays is once a passenger has used it, the tray should be sanitized to prevent the spread of noro. Just like a mug, most people hold a tray in the same manner with their hands most likely in the same position as the previous person who used the tray.

The challenge with trays is once a passenger has used it, the tray should be sanitized to prevent the spread of noro. Just like a mug, most people hold a tray in the same manner with their hands most likely in the same position as the previous person who used the tray.

Not really a challenge. they just run thru the dishwasher like all the other silverware and plates.

Fast food doesn't do this process, but cafeterias and institutional food service does do this, for the exact reasons you state.

Trays and noro may be a problem. Just don't put your fingers in your mouth or on your face. Use your flatware to eat everything or hold items with napkins.

You will always touch something after washing your hands so don't put them in your mouth or on your face.

Yes, it's true. On Celebrity the staff does a very good job of overseeing the status of the tables and they don't jump to clear things unless they are sure people are done.

On this Summit this May, we had servers who grabbed a plate that was half full without asking, and others who asked if we're done when the plate before us is empty.