Airline advice needed..Singapore or Qatar?

RMS Olympic

I have booked a cruise on Star Clipper in Bali for next year and am planning the flight. It has come down to 2 contenders (both business class)....

Singapore airlines out of JFK through Frankfort to Singapore to Bali.

Qatar airways out of Miami to Doha and the onto Bali.

Singapore has more stops but takes less time because Qatar has a long layover in Doha.

Has anyone flown either of these two airlines in business class and can provide some guidance.

As I start the long trek from Tampa, it's more tempting to go thru Miami and fly Qatar, but the 9 hour layover oh Doha seems way too long. Then going through JFK is no picnic.......help!

We haven't flown Qatar, but flew business class on Singapore two years ago from Perth to San Francisco (with overnight stop in Singapore and a connection in Hong Kong). We flew their 777 with 1-2-1 seating in business class. We had a wonderful experience from all ends -- at the airports -- in their lounges -- and the in-flight experience. So while I can't offer a comparison to Qatar, we were very satisfied with Singapore.

Singapore Air usually rated 1 or 2 of ALL airlines. Tried to book it once, completely sold out.Do not wait too long to book.Think its also Star Alliance for points .

Edited by zoncom

Think its also Star Alliance for points .

That's correct. I joined Avianca's Lifemiles program (also Star Alliance). Three or four times a year they run a terrific promo where you can purchase miles and they give a 100-135% bonus. By using this promo it was just over 1k per person for biz class from Australia to SF (one way). A great way to fly biz class if you don't have enough miles. You have to already be a member of Lifemiles before you can take advantage of the promo, so don't wait for the promo to come around and then join.

I can strongly recommend Qatar. We have flown Frankfurt - Doha - Bangkok last year and it was very nice. Fantastic cabin and good food. Would ever prefer Qatar. But haven't flown Singapore yet but some other airlines.

100% for Qatar Airways! It is the best Business Class out there!!! Singapore has a strange folding seat, while wider then the one on Qatar, you will fly the Singapore Bali on an old configuration. Qatar Airways is on 787 or 350 to Bali and 350 or 777 to the USA! Qatar is AMAZING...think more of flying FIRST Class!

Also on Qatar you get a Luxury Hotel and city tour complimentary for your stopover!

Edited by Prada Cowboy

We flew Qatar from Doha to Beijing a couple of years ago prior to the new Doha airport being opened and it was fabulous.

They had chefs at several stations preparing all sorts of food, lounge chairs that you could sleep in and beautiful fully stocked showers.

Always look for a chance to fly them again!

Joe:D

With Qatar if you have a layover in Doha of nine hours they will give you a hotel room free. Check it out and it may make the long time less painful.

Good to know. Do you have to be in a certain cabin or fare type to qualify, or just the 9+ hour layover alone qualifies you?

Sometimes I think the planning is as much fun as the trip....at least lasts longer. With these responses and now having watched way too many YouTube videos I have decided to fly Qatar. It's a bit more money for their business class over Singapore but comparing all aspect of the transit Qatar looks better for me. In fact Qatars onboard experience (as seen on YouTube) really looks more like first class. The 9 hour layover in Doho is less than desired but looking at the facilities...wow. In addition I can get a shower ....after driving to Tampa, waiting two hours, flying an hour to Miami, waiting three hours to board Qatar, and then a 14 hour flight.......I need a hot shower.

Also having only one stop enroute means less chance of airport problems in Frankfort and Singapore. Singapore would give me the chance to experience the A380, but flying Qatar gives me the chance to try the 787 Dreamliner on the second leg. Guess trying the A380 will have to wait till late 2018 if the New Zealand cruise gets booked.......sheep farmers and all that lamb......heaven!

So thanks to all for the info, comments and thoughts.

I board the Star Clipper in Bali on Sept 9,2017 for a week cruise.....anyone want to join me? Just think of the Komodo dragons!!!

Thanks again. Now to star planning more bucket list journeys like New. Zealand, India, South Africa and the Seyshels.🛳

I happened to price out Qatar flying out of Atlanta instead if Miami. Wow, what a shock! Departure time the same, connect with the same flight out of Doha to Bali, same 9 hour layover. Only difference was aircraft! Miami it's a 777-300ER and Atlanta gets a 777-200 LR. But the cost........the round trip out of Atlanta is over $600 less......who would have thought. It's even less than Singapore out of JFK. So all I have to do now is to wait to book when the dates become available online. It maybe a year off but I must say I am excited......as said in Now Voyager, I am not a "commercial traveler"👹

Now to count down the days till the Norwegian Jade in Nov and the Norwegian Escape next May. My cruise addiction continues.....dare I squeeze in another in February.......if I had Prada Cowboys $$$, I'd book the Europa 2!

I'm flying Qatar business to Johannesburg through Doha in November. On the outgoing it's a A350 and a 787 from JFK. On the return it's a 777ER and 777200 to LA, also with a long layover in Doha so I'll be spending lots of time in Al Mourjan. I'm looking forward to all legs of this trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours too, RMS Olympic.

With Qatar if you have a layover in Doha of nine hours they will give you a hotel room free. Check it out and it may make the long time less painful.

Yes I would do more searching. I thought they will put you up in a hotel and drive you to an from. I have flow Singapore Airline. They are very nice. I have worked on the Qatar 787 they have a very nice business class. Hugh on demand movie database.

According to the Qatar website, my 9 hour layover should get me a hotel room . Very curious as to whether I must pick up mu luggage or whether hey hold it for the entire time awaiting the second leg of the trip from Doha to Bali? The new airport in Doha looks amazing and the business class lounge is beyond anything I have ever seen at any airport.....hope the cruise is over the top as well.

Wripro, your trip sounds exciting hope it's for pleasure or romance and not just work :-)

We did fly Qatar Business Class from Oslo to Delhi last year and it was excellent.

All flights were on a brand new 787 with reversed herringbone seating. Food service is a la cart, which means you can order any time you want.

Doha is a huge airport which is not finished yet. Be prepared to walk very long distances. The Al Mourjan Lounge is wonderful with a full service restaurant which serves Krug Champagne!

Qatar do have a lot of sales, in both economy and business.

You can't go wrong on SI either. Very reliable and consistant airline. And a Star Alliance partner as well.

Bali is wonderful, you'll enjoy it!

Oslo Dutch,

Sorry to have to correct you but Al Mourjan no longer serves Krug. Even Al Safwa, the first class lounge no longer serves it. Still these are among the best lounges anywhere and they still serve Billecart-Salmon, a very nice alternative.

Hi Reint, thanks for mentioning your flight to Delhi. My bucket list calls for a trip ti India in late 2018 and wondered it Qatar would be a good choice over something like United/Lufthansa.

I remember you from the Eurodam in 2009....believe it was a party held in one of the suites hosted by the boys from south Florida.

As for the flights on Qatar...just have to wait till they post them...in September. Decided to choose seat 2 k..........so as soon as the books open up....have credit card will spend. Now to research the hell out of the stops on the cruise....

• 2 weeks later...

United.....my last flight with them was pretty ratty. I am planning a bucket trip for late 2018 to India and hated the idea of flying United.....will avoid them if possible.

As for pricing flights in general I can't seem to understand how some web sites offer cheaper prices than the carrier itself. I have to wonder if there is a downside to not booking directly through the carrier?

United.....my last flight with them was pretty ratty. I am planning a bucket trip for late 2018 to India and hated the idea of flying United.....will avoid them if possible.

As for pricing flights in general I can't seem to understand how some web sites offer cheaper prices than the carrier itself. I have to wonder if there is a downside to not booking directly through the carrier?

I always book direct through the carrier. If you use a third party, sometimes they will let you select your own seats, sometimes they won't. The third-party has very little information about each carrier's seat maps, so you might find yourself in one of the non-recline seats (if in economy) and you won't know until you get to your seat. If you run into any problems with the booking or during travel, issues don't get resolved very easily if you book through a third party. Same thing with hotels - the hotel will give you a worse room if you book a cheap rate through a third party site. Also, if the hotel is oversold, you will be the first one the hotel will displace.

I've worked in both industries in the front lines and can tell you, it's not worth it to save a few bucks.

Michael