Valican, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica Tours

HEINER

We will be in Rome five nights so really four full days to tour. And this is our first time in Rome so we need some help with what would be the better tour to take.

Our question is are we better off to take a 3.50 hour tour that goes to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica with a tour guide that takes 12 people all in one tour?

We could take the night tour of Vatican and Sistine Chapel with a guide and less people. But would not get to see St Peter's Basilica on that tour. Would we better off with this tour and then booked a different day to see the Basilica?

Should we also book the Scavi tour? What is the differents in the Scavi tour and the Basilica tour? I'm confused about this tour.

Thank, for any information you can give us.

How important is the Vatican overall with you in terms of sightseeing? Is it one of the primary things you want to concentrate on in Rome?

If so, then I would probably recommend doing the "after hours" tour with fewer people. The museums can be a complete zoo during the day, even when it is not peak season....

You can visit St. Peters separately, either on your own or with a guide. Rick Steves has an audiotour that you can download for free. And if you are interested, you could combine a visit to St Peters with climbing the dome and/or the Scavi Tour.

As for the Scavi Tour, it is a very limited tour that visits areas off-limits to tourists generally, underneath the modern basilica. What you will see are some remains of the first basilica (the one built by Constantine) and the necropolis that was discovered underneath, including the purported burial place of St. Peter. You end up in the crypt area where many of the popes are buried. It is a unique tour and one that I found well worth it. You do need to request reservations well in advance if you want to do this tour.

If I had four days in Rome, I don't think I'd devote more than one total day (or parts of two days) to the Vatican. There is so much else to see and experience. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The nighttime tour is very special.

I've done it as well as the daytime.

Please keep in mind you could spend countless hours or visit these sites many times because there is so much to take in and see but if it was me I would do the nighttime.

Keith

You can visit the Basilica on your own (guidebook or podcast would be good) so I would opt for the night tour with fewer people.

When you see the Basilica be sure to climb up to the roof, both for the outside view and to get a better sense of the massive size of the inside.

I did the night schedule at the Museums. I did not do a tour, but DIY. Totally uncrowded, so nice! There were rooms where I was the only person! I had one of the first time slots, so I could spend as much time as I wanted. I would highly recommend the night visits if you can do it. Then, come back another day and do your Basilica visit.

• 1 month later...
How important is the Vatican overall with you in terms of sightseeing? Is it one of the primary things you want to concentrate on in Rome?

If so, then I would probably recommend doing the "after hours" tour with fewer people. The museums can be a complete zoo during the day, even when it is not peak season....

You can visit St. Peters separately, either on your own or with a guide. Rick Steves has an audiotour that you can download for free. And if you are interested, you could combine a visit to St Peters with climbing the dome and/or the Scavi Tour.

As for the Scavi Tour, it is a very limited tour that visits areas off-limits to tourists generally, underneath the modern basilica. What you will see are some remains of the first basilica (the one built by Constantine) and the necropolis that was discovered underneath, including the purported burial place of St. Peter. You end up in the crypt area where many of the popes are buried. It is a unique tour and one that I found well worth it. You do need to request reservations well in advance if you want to do this tour.

If I had four days in Rome, I don't think I'd devote more than one total day (or parts of two days) to the Vatican. There is so much else to see and experience. :)

Do you stand in the long line to go on the Scavi Tour?

Do you stand in the long line to go on the Scavi Tour?

You have to make a reservation in advance for the Scavi tour. The tours are very limited -- only a few people per tour and only a limited number of English tours on a given day. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, you bring the voucher to the Swiss guards outside St. Peters and they will let you through to a side door from which the tour starts.

There is not a long line involved.

You have to make a reservation in advance for the Scavi tour. The tours are very limited -- only a few people per tour and only a limited number of English tours on a given day. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, you bring the voucher to the Swiss guards outside St. Peters and they will let you through to a side door from which the tour starts.

Thanks. I assumed it must work a bit differently for entering. Maybe I missed that part. We go in 3 months so thought we might check on it.

Thanks a lot for your reply. :)

Just had to come back to thank you! We have confirmation of a tour! Of course, subject to last minute change because of Jubilee, but nothing on the current schedule.

Thanks again!

Lynda :)

Just had to come back to thank you! We have confirmation of a tour! Of course, subject to last minute change because of Jubilee, but nothing on the current schedule.

Thanks again!

Lynda :)

Excellent! I'm sure you will really enjoy it. It's quite a special tour.

Where did you book this through?

You have to request a tour directly through the Scavi (excavations) Office of the Vatican.

Contact info for the Ufficio Scavi: tel. + 39.06 69 88 53 18; fax + 39.06 698 73017; e-mail: scavi@fsp.va . The office is open from 9.00 to 17.00, Monday to Friday, keep in mind any time difference if you plan to call.

You have to request a tour directly through the Scavi (excavations) Office of the Vatican.

Contact info for the Ufficio Scavi: tel. + 39.06 69 88 53 18; fax + 39.06 698 73017; e-mail: scavi@fsp.va . The office is open from 9.00 to 17.00, Monday to Friday, keep in mind any time difference if you plan to call.

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I put in my request and just received confirmation for the date we requested. We are very excited, again thanks for sharing.

How much walking is involved in the Scavi tour, and is it very dark? It sounds absolutely fascinating, but my dad has some mobility and vision problems.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. :)

It's not an excessive amount of walking but it is underground in narrow and sometimes steep short passageways. The guide has to use a laser pointer to highlight items inside the tombs. I honestly don't think it would be a very good idea for someone with mobility and vision issues. I really enjoyed it tremendously so I don't say that easily--I'd like everyone to go!