just returned, faster to the fun, and Platinum too

cruzn buckeye

We just debarked yesterday from the Liberty and would like to share our experience for those wishing to purchase the faster to the fun...

I say do it!

My daughter and myself are Platinum, her on her 10th cruise, and it was my 24th. We have three friends that cruised with us that are not Platinum. As soon as I heard about the faster to the fun pass, I called them and told them to purchase it. Personally, while I did not like the fact that others could just buy into perks that we have earned, over many cruises with Carnival, I just thought ... well if others are doing it, why not them??

Our plane was scheduled to arrive at Miami at 10:40. We arrived early... 10:20. We shared a cab/van for the ride to the port, with a quick 10 minute stop to purchase cranberry juice to mix with the vodka that we ordered from room service... that worked out very nice by the way.

After arriving to the port, our luggage and their luggage was put in a different area that those that are not Platinum, Diamond or faster to the fun. We went together through the security line. Our friends asked us to wait for them after getting checked in, because they wanted our embarkation pic taken together. We went to the front of the line where they were taking faster to the fun and vip guests, including Platinum.

The security line for us was very fast, then they sent our friends to the faster to the fun line, and us to the Platinum vip lounge. Our friends were boarding immediately, us... not so much. Our friends kept calling us to find out where we were... well... we were sitting the the lounge waiting for them to call our names. Finally, when we get done getting checked in, and standing in another short line, for our sail and sign money to be applied, we headed to the line for boarding. Got to the top of the ramp, sorry we were told... you have to go to the back of the line ( a very long line by the way ). I showed him my card and told him we were supposed to get priority embarkation,... he said go to the back of the line... so we did.... Our friends had already boarded and eaten their lunch at the buffet by the time we got onboard... and were waiting for us... It actually took us almost 55 minutes from the time we arrived at the ship to the time we boarded. While it doesnt seem like much, we were told that the security cameras show us boarding 28 minutes after our friends... yes, they have good security when they can actually go in and look at the time you boarded by the camera.

Anyway, faster to the fun worked great for them! Onboard within 27 minutes after arriving.... I was happy for them... but we would have been onboard faster if we had paid for that instead of with our Platinum card. We were told at the guest service desk that the idea of Platinum boarding is so you can sit and not wait in the line. I always thought it was to get you on faster. I would have preferred that they put us all through the same line if this is how it is. Instead, we were sitting in a room with about 20 others, with empty lemonade pitchers. Oh well... to those thinking of booking faster to the fun, do it! It worked out great for our friends...:D

I am not trying to pizz off anybody... but it did bother me that they boarded first.. I did want to let those know if they want to purchase this, it is good for them...

However, it could be because boarding had begun (not by too long though), and the faster to the fun people had a shorter line than those those sent to the vip lounge. the same thing happened to another family in line near us, they said those in the family with the faster to the funpass, were already boarding... while they were still in line...

I think that maybe, once this thing really gets rolling, they may be able to get it down better. Personally, I think the solution to this would be to keep one line instead of two, with Platinum merging in front. And offer the vip lounge to those that want to sit and wait.... some people like that you know.. not me, we just wanted to get onboard... by the way , we had a great time on this ship!

My hubby and I are very laid back people but I can tell you that if that happens to us when we arrive in Pt Canaveral to board the Dream in a few weeks, I will not be a happy girl. I didn't get my feathers ruffled about the FTTF program but if this knocks the Platinum cruisers back from the early boarding that we have become accustomed to then they blatantly lied about the way the new program works.

My hubby and I are very laid back people but I can tell you that if that happens to us when we arrive in Pt Canaveral to board the Dream in a few weeks, I will not be a happy girl. I didn't get my feathers ruffled about the FTTF program but if this knocks the Platinum cruisers back from the early boarding that we have become accustomed to then they blatantly lied about the way the new program works.

You still get early boarding. If you arrive before the embarkation begins, they will board Platinum before faster to the fun. The problem lies with being sent to the vip lounge where faster to the fun goes straight to checking in. At least, that is what it seemed to be. I don't think they lied, I just think they need to make a few adjustments to something that is just getting rolled out.

I think they need to offer the Platinum guests a choice, join the faster to the fun line, or go wait in the vip lounge.

maybe what they should do, is have VIP LINE and VIP LOUNGE. Then as faster to the fun come, they can join the VIP LINE.

That's great to hear. We are doing the FTTF for our Liberty cruise next April. I think it's not that FTTF's are boarding before the VIPS, which I don't think that they are. It's just the timing of how many VIPS show up to board at the same time. I sure many VIPS were all ready on board. You are talking 100's of VIP's versus 20 or 30 FTTF's.

I'm certain that Carnival is doing their best to keep lines moving. They aren't going to wait until all VIPS show up before they start boarding FTTF's and others - that just would not make logistical sense.

You still get early boarding. If you arrive before the embarkation begins, they will board Platinum before faster to the fun. The problem lies with being sent to the vip lounge where faster to the fun goes straight to checking in. At least, that is what it seemed to be. I don't think they lied, I just think they need to make a few adjustments to something that is just getting rolled out.

I think they need to offer the Platinum guests a choice, join the faster to the fun line, or go wait in the vip lounge.

maybe what they should do, is have VIP LINE and VIP LOUNGE. Then as faster to the fun come, they can join the VIP LINE.

We always arrive at the Port before embark begins so maybe we will not be affected. I agree with you that it sounds like they have a few things to work out. Glad you had a great cruise.

We just debarked yesterday from the Liberty and would like to share our experience for those wishing to purchase the faster to the fun...

I say do it!

My daughter and myself are Platinum, her on her 10th cruise, and it was my 24th. We have three friends that cruised with us that are not Platinum. As soon as I heard about the faster to the fun pass, I called them and told them to purchase it. Personally, while I did not like the fact that others could just buy into perks that we have earned, over many cruises with Carnival, I just thought ... well if others are doing it, why not them??

Our plane was scheduled to arrive at Miami at 10:40. We arrived early... 10:20. We shared a cab/van for the ride to the port, with a quick 10 minute stop to purchase cranberry juice to mix with the vodka that we ordered from room service... that worked out very nice by the way.

After arriving to the port, our luggage and their luggage was put in a different area that those that are not Platinum, Diamond or faster to the fun. We went together through the security line. Our friends asked us to wait for them after getting checked in, because they wanted our embarkation pic taken together. We went to the front of the line where they were taking faster to the fun and vip guests, including Platinum.

The security line for us was very fast, then they sent our friends to the faster to the fun line, and us to the Platinum vip lounge. Our friends were boarding immediately, us... not so much. Our friends kept calling us to find out where we were... well... we were sitting the the lounge waiting for them to call our names. Finally, when we get done getting checked in, and standing in another short line, for our sail and sign money to be applied, we headed to the line for boarding. Got to the top of the ramp, sorry we were told... you have to go to the back of the line ( a very long line by the way ). I showed him my card and told him we were supposed to get priority embarkation,... he said go to the back of the line... so we did.... Our friends had already boarded and eaten their lunch at the buffet by the time we got onboard... and were waiting for us... It actually took us almost 55 minutes from the time we arrived at the ship to the time we boarded. While it doesnt seem like much, we were told that the security cameras show us boarding 28 minutes after our friends... yes, they have good security when they can actually go in and look at the time you boarded by the camera.

Anyway, faster to the fun worked great for them! Onboard within 27 minutes after arriving.... I was happy for them... but we would have been onboard faster if we had paid for that instead of with our Platinum card. We were told at the guest service desk that the idea of Platinum boarding is so you can sit and not wait in the line. I always thought it was to get you on faster. I would have preferred that they put us all through the same line if this is how it is. Instead, we were sitting in a room with about 20 others, with empty lemonade pitchers. Oh well... to those thinking of booking faster to the fun, do it! It worked out great for our friends...:D

I'm a little confused about the boarding. The boarding had already begun before you got to the line, right? Did they not give you a VIP card or were they no longer using zone cards for boarding? We were platinum on our last cruise and boarded right after the weddings before they started calling zone numbers. I thought VIP would go to the front of the line for boarding regardless of when they arrived.

VIP boarding has always been slow IMHO but you get to sit on a couch. But instead of 25 agents to check you in you have maybe 4.

I have had my non VIP friends check in faster then me on numerous occassions. Don't think you can blame the new program?

Only time I ever found VIP to be a real perk is when there are long security lines.

I'm a little confused about the boarding. The boarding had already begun before you got to the line, right? Did they not give you a VIP card or were they no longer using zone cards for boarding? We were platinum on our last cruise and boarded right after the weddings before they started calling zone numbers. I thought VIP would go to the front of the line for boarding regardless of when they arrived.

We did not get a zone card. I was told that boarding begun just a short time before we got onboard. We were sent to the vip lounge. Faster to the fun was sent to their line, and the other passengers were in their long winding line, getting checked in. I did not expect to be put ahead of anyone already there, that would be silly. It just seemed odd to me that our friends who we arrived with, boarded the ship long before we did, and that the person at the top of the ramp, let them go to the front of the line, (which they did pay for) but sent us to the end even after showing him our Platinum cards and telling him they we are supposed to get priority embarkation with the cards.

Also, we were not in the normal terminal. It did not have the seating like last year when we boarded. And the vip lounge was totally different. I think it was a temporary thing due to construction.

VIP boarding has always been slow IMHO but you get to sit on a couch. But instead of 25 agents to check you in you have maybe 4.

I have had my non VIP friends check in faster then me on numerous occassions. Don't think you can blame the new program?

Only time I ever found VIP to be a real perk is when there are long security lines.

While I agree to a point about the general boarding with the 25 agents, the faster to the fun have their own line to check. They are not with the general boarding with the 25 agents. And those 25 agents have over 2000 people to check in. And they can keep the couch. the perk is not the couch, it is priorty boarding...:)

Archived