Luggage???

norwane

Hi all!

I was wondering if you all had any thoughts or suggestions about the best type of luggage to bring on a cruise? Soft side or hard sided luggage? Best brand that is not crazy expensive? We will be flying and checking luggage and I am the type of person that will throw in the kitchen sink for good measure so I need something that is not too heavy but can hold a lot!

Thanks!

Here's what was suggested to me. Definitely soft sided. In fact the recommended piece was a duffel. Specifically a drop-bottom wheeled duffel. The primary reason is it easily collapses to fit under your stateroom bed. We don't cruise until mid May but we purchased two Samsonite 30 inch duffels and have done some 'test' packing. They seem to have more than ample space. Generally $85-$100 on eBay. I'm sure other cruisers have their preferences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto the drop bottomed duffels. We picked up three at Costco for a 3 week grand tour and they served well. We have used them on a cruise since then and been very happy. Fitting under the beds is critical for our comfort and these do it easily.

Beyond buying a carry-on small enough for international air travel and American puddle jumpers (lighter weight or smaller overhead storage), a standard American air carrier carry-on that will fit in the gate measuring boxes (United et al. are cracking down) is essential. Any thing bigger should keep in mind common weight restrictions (e.g., 50 lbs before extra charge). As to brand, you'll get all sorts of recommendations here. But, if you travel a lot, you may want to research whether warranty repair for the brand you're considering is convenient to your location. We use upper end Travelpro stuff because of discounts available to us and good warranty with local repair available.

Also, if you're superstitious, black bag on a ship in days of yore was a big no-no - very bad omen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, if you're superstitious, black bag on a ship in days of yore was a big no-no - very bad omen.

Amazing the amount of very interesting but totally useless information I find on CC. :D

We've always used rigid fabric-covered cases, though not the shiny slippery ones cos they crack quite easily with rough handling. As long as they're not excessively deep - or you're not bringing six cases each :rolleyes: - they fit under the bed.

Cases that fit inside each-other when empty are ideal.

For your cabin bag, get one that's as close as possible to airlines' maximum size, but not so much as a millimetre bigger. And one with zippered pockets for documents etc.

Always worth decorating cases with a ribbon or somesuch, so that you can spot it more easily on the airport carousel - and so that others don't go off with it by mistake.:eek:

Mebbe I'm just being paranoid, but a high quality case suggests to baggage handlers that it's probably worth rifling.

Just my four-penn'orth.

JB :)

L.L. Bean. Excellent quality and 100% guarantee. Return for exchange or refund for any reason, no questions asked.

I have a small rolling duffle from LL Bean and it is terrific! I'm a big fan now and (if I weren't in Canada) would certainly buy another from them. I much prefer rolling duffels to square-cornered suitcases, whether hard or soft-sided.

Hi all!

I was wondering if you all had any thoughts or suggestions about the best type of luggage to bring on a cruise? Soft side or hard sided luggage? Best brand that is not crazy expensive? We will be flying and checking luggage and I am the type of person that will throw in the kitchen sink for good measure so I need something that is not too heavy but can hold a lot!

Thanks!

We have changed from soft to hard side. We have samsonite forgot the name of the model, but it is extremely light and durable. If you purchase, make sure you opt for the lightest luggage available that will also protect your clothes.

Enjoy your cruise.

Ditto the drop bottomed duffels. We picked up three at Costco for a 3 week grand tour and they served well. We have used them on a cruise since then and been very happy. Fitting under the beds is critical for our comfort and these do it easily.

Thanks for the help and advice! Just out of curiousity, how do the duffels do with formal clothes? :confused: Our next cruise is a themed cruise (and we are doing a vow renewal :D!), so we will have several formal outfits with us.

Thanks again!

We have changed from soft to hard side. We have samsonite forgot the name of the model, but it is extremely light and durable. If you purchase, make sure you opt for the lightest luggage available that will also protect your clothes.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Cruise a holic-

If you happen to think of the brand of Samsonite, could you please post it or message it to me? :)

Thank you!

Thanks for the help and advice! Just out of curiousity, how do the duffels do with formal clothes? :confused: Our next cruise is a themed cruise (and we are doing a vow renewal :D!), so we will have several formal outfits with us.

Thanks again!

Great actually. I packed the tux and suit and blazer in the bottom with all the very flat or bulky stuff such as sweaters. All the bumpy and awkward stuff went in the top half where it wouldn't wrinkle things up. my gowns and dresses went into the bottom as well in my bag. Shoes and odds and ends went into the top. I use packing cubes for all the small items to keep it easy to find things. IKEA has wonderful packing cubes for a song!

We use upper end Travelpro stuff because of discounts available to us and good warranty with local repair available.

If you are doing carryon luggage I second the Travelpro. I have used mine for years.

...... IKEA has wonderful packing cubes for a song!

Oh dear.

Have they invaded the US of A too? :p

We have a new IKEA right opposite one of the cruise terminals in Southampton.

Got lost in it :rolleyes:

Gave up following the stupid footprints which take you past every square inch of selling space on every floor, & went out an emergency exit, automatically setting off the alarms. :D

Never been back.

Edited by John Bull

If you are doing carryon luggage I second the Travelpro. I have used mine for years.

Yes - check out that bag being pulled by a flight attendant - usually Travelpro (and not just because of the discount given to transportation personnel).

Large, light, durable, hard sided quad spinners for us. We have no problem fitting them under the bed at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I totally agree-spinners are great for going down an airplane aisle sideways. We have 2 sets of Ricardo. They have sets of roll aboard and 25 inch suitcases. They seem to hold up pretty well. We invested in a spring scale to weigh our luggage. On our last trip each one came in at 49 pounds!

Oh dear.

We have a new IKEA right opposite one of the cruise terminals in Southampton.

Got lost in it :rolleyes:

Gave up following the stupid footprints which take you past every square inch of selling space on every floor, & went out an emergency exit, automatically setting off the alarms. :D

Never been back.

Yes, we have an IKEA (we live near the Mall of America in Minnesota) and my husband has sworn never to go back to IKEA!!

Oh dear.

Oh yes the Swedes conquer all ; -)

Not terribly fond of the 'All Ikea, All the Time' look I see in so many of the vacation rental apartments I see online, but I confess my daughter's college room is an artful blend of Ikea and Salvation Army ; -)

Shopping to furnish her room is when I found these;

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30235115/

And I LOVE them. I have discovered how to sneak in the exit, run up the down stairs and around the corner to the cafe where the travel gear is displayed. I can get in and out without ever setting foot in the rat maze they call a selling floor!

I have given them as gifts to all my friends and family this year. Three sets is all I need no matter how long I am traveling, but I have a few extra so that I have enough of the shoe bags. They are actually large enough for a pair of mens shoes!

They make packing so easy and being on the road a breeze.

I have discovered how to sneak in the exit, run up the down stairs and around the corner to the cafe where the travel gear is displayed. I can get in and out without ever setting foot in the rat maze they call a selling floor!

Ha! I often go in the exit door too, and sometimes have to climb over the railing to get in the back way, then through the warehouse to the market items. As a matter of fact, I need to go there for a candle snuffer (strangely, they are incredibly hard to find).