Tracy Arm

JetCruister

Hello!

I'm curious too, as I'll be on the same route, but in July. I'm assuming, though, that the info from the recent cruises may not be applicable to us late July/August cruisers, since there will have been additional time for the route to open up by the time we get there. Hoping to make it all the way down the fjord!

We are leaving in August from SF to Alaska for 10 nights, and we are cruising the Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay. Just wondering if anyone has been in the Tracy Arm this year and how close to the end did you get?

Thanks!! :)

I think I am on the same cruise as you. I go up at least every other year ... we laugh because the captain or whomever is announcing the events always states, 'this is as close as we've gotten all year' -- every time. LOL

Either we are extremely lucky or that is a rehearsed statement ...me thinks the latter.

On the recent previous years, we've not gotten all that close. We haven't really been close enough to even see any calving in the last few years. I think it is a short run up the Tracy Arm, a turnaround and then headed back. I remember when it used to be a day trip but think it is only from 5 AM - 10 AM this go around. What's up with that??? Heck, we're going to view the glacier with our morning coffee.....and a camera with a good zoom lens.

Sorry that wasn't really an answer to your question ... just not expecting too to get to terribly close.

I think I am on the same cruise as you. I go up at least every other year ... we laugh because the captain or whomever is announcing the events always states, 'this is as close as we've gotten all year' -- every time. LOL

Either we are extremely lucky or that is a rehearsed statement ...me thinks the latter.

Exactly--since each cruise is a little later and has had a little more melting time than the one before.....it only makes sense, right?

We did a late August cruise. Probably a different experience than early June.

Exactly--since each cruise is a little later and has had a little more melting time than the one before.....it only makes sense' date=' right?

We did a late August cruise. Probably a different experience than early June.[/quote']

I would think so....I've only gone in Sept with the exception of one time in May and we didn't get close at all on the May one. August is for my SIL's birthday, otherwise, I love Sept in Alaska!!

We were on the May 21 Grand to Alaska. Two weeks earlier, Ruby out of LA missed Tracy Arms and then we also missed it. Too much ice. Half the people on the cruise did not know we went up Endicott Arm Fjord to see Dawes Glacier until we were heading out of the fjord. This is our second time we missed Tracy Arm Fjord.

We were on the Celebrity Solstice the first week of May and we turned around at about the 3/4 mark. I wish I could remember the mile marker for you, but it was one of the last large curves where the ship could actually turn around. You should have much less ice by the time you travel and we have been blessed with an earlier spring and summer in Alaska. I live in Fairbanks and this spring came earlier than most. Best of luck that you can see the glacier!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went on the Ruby May 22. We went partway, but then had a small boat excursion that picked us off the ship. We then went all the way to the Sawyer glacier. It was the 1st small boat trip of the year, and the crew said they really should not have gone due to the amount of ice.

Thank you for the information!! Last cruise to Alaska was in 2002! We leave August 19 for 10 days. Is this the same one you are on?? Are there other glaciers that they will take us to and do the 360?? We have about 20 people traveling with us! It our sons 30th birthday and this is what he wanted to do!! I am always up for a cruise!

On the recent previous years, we've not gotten all that close. We haven't really been close enough to even see any calving in the last few years. I think it is a short run up the Tracy Arm, a turnaround and then headed back. I remember when it used to be a day trip but think it is only from 5 AM - 10 AM this go around. What's up with that??? Heck, we're going to view the glacier with our morning coffee.....and a camera with a good zoom lens.

Sorry that wasn't really an answer to your question ... just not expecting too to get to terribly close.

Would you please let me know how far your ship goes when you return? I am hoping to get to the end too!! :)

Hello!

I'm curious too, as I'll be on the same route, but in July. I'm assuming, though, that the info from the recent cruises may not be applicable to us late July/August cruisers, since there will have been additional time for the route to open up by the time we get there. Hoping to make it all the way down the fjord!

We have been to Tracy Arm three times. The first time we got close enough to get long range shots of South Sawyer. The next two times we took an excursion which picked you up at the point where the ship turns back. We got on excursion boats and these took you to with in a quarter mile of both the North and South Sawyer glaciers (1/4 mile is as close as the excursion boats are allowed).

After they spend time at each then they take you back to Juneau to meet your ship. It is about an eight hour excursion. If we go to Tracy Arm again we will take this excursion again.

Other than the Ketchikan Crab Fisherman tour on the Aleutian Ballad, which we take every time we cruise Alaska, this is one of our favorites.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Edited by ChiefBoats
spelling correction

Thank you for the information!! Last cruise to Alaska was in 2002! We leave August 19 for 10 days. Is this the same one you are on?? Are there other glaciers that they will take us to and do the 360?? We have about 20 people traveling with us! It our sons 30th birthday and this is what he wanted to do!! I am always up for a cruise!

It is the same one....come join our roll call if you think it would work for you. Wow...20 people ... that should be a gas. We are celebrating my sister in law's 50th birthday and it will also be my 50th cruise (over all lines).....so lots of celebrations!! We are always up for a cruise ... especially those to Alaska! It is my favorite of all itineraries. I just dropped off my younger brother and his family at the airport this morning to go to Hawaii. They said their next big trip, they want to go on a cruise to Alaska with us. I mentioned we will definitely be up for that again in the near future!!

Looking forward to seeing you onboard and happy birthday wishes to your son.

We’ve been to Tracy Arm many times. Normally the cruise ships will only go as far as Sawyer Island, you can see both Glaciers from there off in the distance. I highly recommend taking the small boat excursion if it’s offered, you won’t be disappointed with that excursion. They’ll get you closer to the Glacier.

We’ve been to Tracy Arm many times. Normally the cruise ships will only go as far as Sawyer Island, you can see both Glaciers from there off in the distance. I highly recommend taking the small boat excursion if it’s offered, you won’t be disappointed with that excursion. They’ll get you closer to the Glacier.

I've been to Tracy Arm probably 10+ times by cruise ship and have never gotten closer to the South Sawyer glacier than Sawyer Island. From here the glacier is barely visible and that is pretty much the standard by large cruise ship. I had one exception where the Dawn Princess actually went to the North Sawyer but that was the first visit in many many years

None of the trips I was on offered the small boat option but I have sailed with Adventure Bound from Juneau a half dozen times. Getting up close in a small boat takes it to another level and IMHO the South Sawyer up close has the most calving and bluest color I've seen in any of the glaciers. I have not seen any major calving in Glacier Bay in years, same with Hubbard. (and I've had trouble getting in close here also)

There is a reason Glacier Bay gets the most votes as a must see as it is always accessible and still a pretty spectacular day.

About 99.9% of the time the cruise ship will not go up into the upper arm of Tracy Arm. Many years ago we went up a ways towards the North Sawyer Glacier, just pass Sawyer Island, I think that was on the Mercury. We always take the small boat tour off the cruise ship. Last year Allen Marine had 2 boats pick up passengers from the ship at Sawyer Island. If the Tracy Arm small boat tour wasn’t offered on the itinerary that we are looking at we would find another itinerary that it is offered on. It would be a definite game changer. We alternate between Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, this year is was Glacier Bay, next year Tracy Arm.

In the middle of September a couple of years ago we only got as far as the fork in the channel with the small island in the middle. We could barely see North Sawyer and South Sawyer glaciers in the distance. The Golden turned around in front of the small island.

On our first cruise to Alaska in 2003, the ship made it to where we had a good view of the glacier. On our second cruise six years later, we did not make it as close to the glacier but still got to see it. I know if we ever take another cruise that includes Tracy Arm, I'm going to want to book the small boat excursion.

On the other hand, the scenery getting to the glacier is pretty spectacular. We enjoyed seeing wildlife and waterfalls along the way.

I think I am on the same cruise as you.

Same here. :)

I go up at least every other year ... we laugh because the captain or whomever is announcing the events always states, 'this is as close as we've gotten all year' -- every time. LOL

Heh heh. I agree that sounds suspiciously scripted.

Same here. :)

Heh heh. I agree that sounds suspiciously scripted.

I laugh when they say the same thing about the ice being bluer on a cloudy day. Maybe a little but I'll take a spectacular sunny day anytime LOL

We're also on the Aug. 19 cruise, and I second Cruise Raider's invitation to all of you to join the roll call.

Wow! I hadn't paid much (make that any) attention to the time in Tracy Arm. Only 5 hours, and starting that early? That's a disappointment.

Kathy

We're also on the Aug. 19 cruise, and I second Cruise Raider's invitation to all of you to join the roll call.

Wow! I hadn't paid much (make that any) attention to the time in Tracy Arm. Only 5 hours, and starting that early? That's a disappointment.

Kathy

Didn't you check port times before you booked the cruise? With so many choices out there it pays to do your research before booking.

Didn't you check port times before you booked the cruise? With so many choices out there it pays to do your research before booking.

Considering that our cruise dates are determined by work schedules, that's not a real option. Thank you very much for your unsolicited criticism.

Kathy

Kathy

Regardless of how long .. it will probably still be my favorite day. No balcony on this cruise (which incidentally looks to be completely sold out) ... so I might be found up in the indoor pool really early that day.....coffee in hand.

You know, the Grand also has a lovely seating section out back near the aft pool. It is one thing I do really love about the Grand....haven't really seen that on any of their other ships. It is such a nice place to enjoy a good book and it is rather wind proof as well. If it is a nice day, maybe that is where I will hang out that morning.