Hotel Packages??

Cruisin Around

Hello My CC Friends!

Once again I'm heading to these boards because you all are always lifesavers and a wealth of information. I did try to find an answer to my question before starting another thread but I'm getting myself so confused! We are semi-seasoned cruisers (this will be our 11th) but we are from Pittsburgh, PA and have only ever left from Baltimore or Bayonne. This is will be our first flight to a cruise port. Actually it's our family's first flight ever (and yes, I'm scared lol). We are looking for a hotel that includes a shuttle to the cruise port - here is where I'm getting confused. We fly into Fort Lauderdale but we leave on the Vista out of Miami. Do we look for a hotel in FL instead of Miami because it might be substantially cheaper (not sure if it is or not)? If we do stay in FL and the hotel has a shuttle is it uncommon to need a shuttle to Miami and not just to the FL port? There will be six of us total - three in my family and three in my sister's family. Do we not worry about a hotel with a shuttle and just look into some kind of van? I've used Uber before but I'm not sure how that would work with luggage even if we did two separate cars. Please help my wise friends! Thanks in advance!

If you look down the board, all your questions are discussed here daily. Flying into FLL is commonly recommended, as generally FLL is a cheaper hotel location. But if your airfare is better or similar into MIA, then the choice is less clear.

There are no hotels in FLL that will give you a shuttle to Miami- as discussed it is a 45 minute drive. Yes, some have shuttles in a package, or on a determined rate, but none give a shuttle. As commonly discussed, arranging a shuttle through one of the many recommended shuttle companies is usually the better deal.

The shuttles will run about $15pp. Uber will be around $40-45 for the car. So you need to do the math.

For 6 you'd need two UberX cars -- and maybe one of them would need to be an UberXL if anyone in your group packs like my wife. ;) Shared shuttles from SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport and others are easy. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

What time will you be arriving? And the date? Do you have any kind of budget?

Our choice is usually to head to Miami, if cruising from there, upon our arrival into FLL. But that's mainly because we have spent lots of nights in Fort in the past. And DH likes to be nearer the port when he awakens.

Fort Lauderdale is a nice city to spend a day. Especially if you enjoy and want some beach. There is easy transportation in the morning to get to Miami.

If staying in downtown Miami, you can pick up a very nice hop on hop off bus tour of the area or a boat tour of the bay. Just saying.....choice is yours.;)

From where I live flying into Miami is almost always cheaper than flying into Fort Lauderdale but that would be something you'll have to compare for the six of you. Also consider that if you fly into Fort Lauderdale you will have to pay for a shuttle and there will be a per person charge to get to the port of Miami. See which way is more cost effective for the six of you. If you arrive late in the day and just need a place to sleep overnight a hotel by the Miami airport would be fine and most of them have a complimentary shuttle that will pick you up at the airport. Then you will need to taxi or Uber to the port the next day. Some of the hotels do have a shuttle to the port but again that will be a per person charge.

Burgh ex-pat here, so I know you don't have good air service. Are you flying into FLL because there are no flights from PIT to MIA? You have to weigh a number of factors to determine the bottom line cost for your group of 6. Cost of flights to FLL vs. MIA, cost of hotels in each city (both can be expensive if you're cruising during peak season); and cost of shuttle for 6 people if you choose FLL. As was already pointed out, with 6 people and luggage, you may need 2 vehicles.

I never cruise out of Miami because I can get flights to FLL from Nashville on SW so much cheaper than the airlines that fly to MIA. There are enough cruise leaving FLL to pick from that I haven't seen the need to pay extra to cruise out of Miami. Your mileage may vary.

Roz

Hi Cruisin Around. We stayed in FLL our first cruise out of Miami and booked Super Shuttle to take us to the POM the day of the cruise. This time we are staying in Miami. We booked the Holiday Inn Downtown by POM for 3 nights for what we paid to stay in FLL for 3 nights 2 years ago. I'm just hoping the hotel is nice and not to run down. I've read a lot of different reviews. We fly in from Las Vegas so everything is a cost. Start checking hotel prices now. I use booking.com and book the Pay at the Hotel prices with free cancellation. That way I can continue to shop for better prices up until about 2 days before check in. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Trirail is a commuter train that you can take from FLL to Miami Just go to the FLL Airport Commuter Rail Station and then when you arrive MIA find a hotel near the rail station and just take a taxi or Uber to the port.

Or depending when you arrive stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale by the airport then in the early morning take the train about 90ish minutes to a station nearest the port and take a taxi to the port.

This may be your cheapest and quickest option to avoid evening or morning rush hour and you get a nice view of the Atlantic going south.

But as others have stated check flying into Miami especially if its on American you can most likely get a nonstop or one stop from where you live.

Just an option for your consideration:

Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale great location and hotel..breakfast included and it offers a shuttle from FLL to the hotel for $2.00 per room (not per person). Price and book using:

www.valuetrips.com

Transportation from hotel to POM ...price and book (I would do a roundtrip for the return from POM-FLL) using:

www.southfloridashuttles.com

We just stayed at this hotel and used this private transportation company for our family group of 7 last month.

Trirail is a commuter train that you can take from FLL to Miami Just go to the FLL Airport Commuter Rail Station and then when you arrive MIA find a hotel near the rail station and just take a taxi or Uber to the port.

IMHO you'd be better off staying near FLL and transporting to POM the next day than to stay near the MIA airport (not an attractive area). www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.