When do you start packing?

Esilef

Well it makes me blush to admit it, but when I was cruising (soon to be reinstated :D ) I packed months out. I live in cold weather 9 months of the year so my off season clothes sit sadly in totes far too long each year, making packing pretty easy.

I start with a calendar, I write down what will happen each day of the trip, airplane (pants, t-shirt and a cardigan with tennis shoes), FL (jean shorts t-shirt and sandals), boarding ship (swim suit, tan shorts, t-**** and sandals)......you get the point.

I will pile all that in the suitcase, I will thumb through it and try to pare it down, as most of us know we bring way too many clothes on a cruise. I try to zip it and continue to remove things knowing I won't wear it.

Now that I've written a book I'll say about 2-3 months out, then I mess with it until I am happy and zip it up. My suitcase sits on the laundry room table so it makes doing that mundane chore so much happier!!!:)

I make a calendar too!:D

Night before. My dog does not like to see those suit cases out. Depression sets in.:eek:

I also pack the night before because the cat actually counts the luggage! If it's more than an overnighter, he's he** to live with. As it is, when we come back he won't talk to us for a week.:)

• 4 months later...

I mentally start packing and making lists a month out

2 weeks out a lot of stuff goes into the suitcase except underwear and toiletries and clothing items I am currently wearing.

2 days before I am essentially packed and nagging hubby to start packing.

night before I do a check and tick off everything on my list.

We're going in October and since March, I've been picking up things that need to be replaced and storing in my "cruise/vacation" box. I'm going through my clothes now and seeing what I have and what doesn't fit anymore. So if I need to get new ones I can do it now and not at the last minute.

On our last cruise I started to set up a travel bag for my toiletries that will only be used for cruises. It has some things that I would normally not need on other type of trips and like this it is ready to go.....on short notice (oh how I wish, we could take cruises on short notice).

I keep in it staples for travel as well, then I don't need to think of them -- they are already there. Then just drop in my makeup and I am good to go.

If I decide to add something never thought of before....I get it after the last cruise and put it in the travel bag.

Usually, right after finishing the laundry once we return home. Not everything, but just the cruise only items.

Seriously, we have "cruise clothes" that are repacked as soon as they're washed, dryed and folded, or return from the dry-cleaners. If it's stuff that is on a hanger, that goes to one side of the closet, until we finalize our packing (usually the day before we leave for the cruise port).

But, I suspect you are asking when can you pull out your suitcases and start loading, without being considered a psychotic cruise addict?

First . . . what's so bad about being a nut-case? Personally, I don't suffer from weirdness . . . I enjoy every second of it!

OK, back to the subject.

I would suggest pulling the bags out a week before you leave. Take your time, Use a check-list. And, relax . . . .

Edited by Calgon1

The only thing I pack early is my electronics. If I forget a cable or a charger, I am in deep trouble. I forgot a cable for my GPS on a trip to Fairbanks. Did you ever try to find a power cable for a GPS in Fairbanks. I almost had to buy a complete new unit.

Clothes - who cares. As long as it is fits and is clean, I do not much care what I look like. My wife, however, feels differently but even she packs only a day or so before we leave.

DON