Independence of the Seas Couples Cruise SMOKING ALLOWED EVERYWHERE ON POOL DECK!!!!

starnsky

Me too!! While I'm not naive or a prude the type and amount of this type of carry on is disgusting. IMO..

Personally, I don't care if the entire pool deck is a swingers party. I don't care if there is overt sexuality any and everywhere on the ship. They could convert the Solarium into a hedonistic palace. As long as it's not my cruise - which means - I won't book on those cruises.

My comment about the hot tub was tongue in cheek (pun intended) :eek:

So.. Are you guys saying Retired Leo is lying. He did find out before the Cruise set sail that it was A Swingers Cruise and was able to rebook.

Just (reading) saying..

The cruise that I was referring to is not a "swingers cruise" but rather a LBGT cruise. It's a partial charter with about 500 participants. It seems that this group does this every Halloween on a different ship. In 2015 it's on the Independance. I simply googled the ship and sail date and came up with the info.

This is disturbing to me on so many levels. Up thread a pp asked how the couple were even aware of the goings on because, they spent most of their time in their cabin and on their balcony. Well, it's my understanding this activity is in your face, in full view of Promenade windows, and yes on the Balconies too!

Then another pp said they were in fact not aware they'd booked a Swingers Cruise. So much for being made fully aware.

But, besides all this it's alarming to me to think a non swingers cruise was used in this way. The staterooms, common areas, pools, hot tubs, it's so revolting.

I'm shocked that these people expose themselves to what may be life altering if not threatening in what the Utube showed as partying in dark rooms not just staterooms, and not being able to determine whom you were with or even what was being done to you!

Makes me rethink Cruising. Do all Lines allow this?

Here ya go! Add a dot com after Cruise Theme Finder

Yes I would say all Cruise Lines have chartered ships!

ps. Balconies were used on The Oasis last week!:eek::eek:

Could we get back to cruise questions, and not hijack the thread about allergies. I too, am in the medical field, but came here to find out about the Independence of the Seas..;)

Tigerlady, I've been on the Independence twice on the 8 day Eastern itinerary. It is one of my favorite ships. Relaxing, open to sea from a lot of angles with very friendly crew and good service. There is smoking allowed on one part of Deck 11 port side and the Cigar lounge on the Promenade with is an enclosed room. We didn't really think that smoking situation on Deck 11 was bad but that may be because we are not sensitive to smoke and don't mind it as long as it's the smoke is not blown in our faces.

The specialty restaurants are Giovannis and Chops...we like Giovannis better on the Independence but I really hesitate to recommend any restaurants since food is very objective. MDR food is regular MDR food...we could always find something to eat that was good. If you don't like something, the servers are happy to bring you something else.

In terms of cabin--we get the hump balcony cabin if we can because of the large balcony. We don't go to shows anymore but do enjoy bands -- and clubs. There are at least 2 venues every night with live music.

I hope this is the kind of information you wanted on the Independence. Let me know if you have any questions.

So.. Are you guys saying Retired Leo is lying. He did find out before the Cruise set sail that it was A Swingers Cruise and was able to rebook.

Just (reading) saying..

Nope, I didn't see anyone claim that he was lying. But it appears you are putting words in his mouth - as he notes below, he never said the cruise he was talking about was a "swinger's cruise", only you said he said that. These Couples Cruises are FULL SHIP charters, and it IS impossible to book them without knowing what you're booking. Partial charters are different, but partial charters have to follow ship rules - such as no nudity around the pool decks.

The cruise that I was referring to is not a "swingers cruise" but rather a LBGT cruise. It's a partial charter with about 500 participants. It seems that this group does this every Halloween on a different ship. In 2015 it's on the Independance. I simply googled the ship and sail date and came up with the info.

Nope, I didn't see anyone claim that he was lying. But it appears you are putting words in his mouth - as he notes below, he never said the cruise he was talking about was a "swinger's cruise", only you said he said that. These Couples Cruises are FULL SHIP charters, and it IS impossible to book them without knowing what you're booking. Partial charters are different, but partial charters have to follow ship rules - such as no nudity around the pool decks.

I was referring to post #39. Retired Leo came back with the one you quoted #52 after my post. His last post cleared that up for me.

Edited by evelyn51

500 passengers of any group will tend to take over a ship!:eek:

Should always check for partial charters, just like anything else if it bothers you!

500 passengers of any group will tend to take over a ship!:eek:

Should always check for partial charters, just like anything else if it bothers you!

Can't disagree, check in advance, particularly if it would bother you! As for taking over the ship - probably depends a lot on which ship you're talking about. 500 on Oasis or Allure would hardly be noticed! :)

Just a few comments on this thread.

1. IF it is a full charter takeover there is no way you could book it without knowing what kind of cruise it is. Especially when you had to sigh a rules of conduct agreement.

2. There are a few partial lifestyle cruises and there you could end up on one of those but the activities are restricted to private areas and have very strict rules for common areas.

3. On full ship charters the rules of conduct strictly limit where activities are allowed and are enforced by couples cruise staff. On the last cruise 8 passengers were left at ports because they refused to adhere to the rules. All common areas are limited to kissing only. There is a time and place for everything and in the common areas is not one of them including pools and hot tubs.

4. The limited areas on the ship where activities do take place are well marked, cordoned off, and entrances monitored by couples cruise staff when they are open so you can not inadvertently go into one of those areas.

5. The crew are briefed weeks prior to the cruise so they can decide where they want to work. If they do not want to be exposed to the lifestyle they are assigned to areas where they will not be exposed to even passengers wearing the risqué clothing. Also when the charted takes place the crew is severely restricted where they can go - even the external entertainers can not go freely around the ship.

6. I am on the follow-on cruise and most of the crew we have talked to really enjoyed the passengers on the last cruise. Very friendly with almost no complaints.

7. Yes there are some things that I do not personally agree with but it's not my job to judge what other people want to do with their lives. We just enjoy all the other areas of the ship and have a great time partying. The earliest we got bed was 4:00 A.M. most nights 5:00 A.M.

8. My wife is very sensitive to smoke and we never had any issues with smoking but maybe we weren't where the op was.

Hope this answers a few of the questions that were raised.

Interesting. If the usual crew (or even some significant part of the usual crew) chose not to participate in this cruise, where would they have stayed during this cruise, and who would have taken their place?

They are put up in a hotel in Florida. Even the crew that does work this cruise hates it.

The only group I'd change a cruise for would be an non monogamous.

Edited by evelyn51

Love to hear where you got THAT bit of "information", since it's completely untrue - according to many crewmembers we chatted with last week? :rolleyes:

I'd be really interested if you'd write a review of this cruise. I've put it out as a trial balloon to the wife. Not into the lifestyle but not bothered by it either. Like the idea of a kid free cruise on a bigger ship w features plus using our diamond benefits. Price is a consideradtion. I generally think you are an observant guy, your review and opinions would be insightful

Do you know which cruise is couples only in Dec? We are on Silhouette 12/13/15 and want to make sure it is not a swingers cruise!!!

It looks like the November 29th cruise. It's not available to be booked through Celebrity's website.

I'd be really interested if you'd write a review of this cruise. I've put it out as a trial balloon to the wife. Not into the lifestyle but not bothered by it either. Like the idea of a kid free cruise on a bigger ship w features plus using our diamond benefits. Price is a consideradtion. I generally think you are an observant guy, your review and opinions would be insightful

Thanks - I'll try to put one together, may be a few days though. What I bolded above is us exactly too.

They are put up in a hotel in Florida. Even the crew that does work this cruise hates it.

Talked to the hotel manager tonight. No crew members were put up in a hotel and most were looking forward to the cruise for weeks.

For the record, cigarette smoke is not an allergen. It is an irritant. You may have an intolerance to it and it may bother you but you're not allergic to it.

I do not smoke but I tell people this all the time. It is impossible to be allergic to cigarette smoke. :)

We were on this cruise and here are a couple of observations.

1-Smoke was no issue for us even on the smoking side of the pool.

2-The food was much better then the Enchantment 3 weeks earlier. Was is great? No, but it never is anymore. The Windjammer was open late and had many decent choices.

3-The crew was fine, better then the Enchantment. Our Cabin Attendant loved the cruise. Much easier to attended to rooms with no kids as they are far less messy. Plus he enjoyed the fact that most ladies were very nicely dressed each night.

4-There was FAR less drinking/partying then on a standard weekend cruise from Florida.

5-We went for the no kids/adults only and it was nice. The morning we left there was a screaming toddler in the hotel dining area which reminded us of exactly why we were going. This was a fair amount more expensive then other options that week but was worth it.

6-The cross section of people was amazing to us. Even if half were just there for the adults only it sure makes you look at the people in the Supermarket check out line and wonder.

7-The people watching was right up there with Vegas and NYC. We would often sit and watch, you have to see it to believe it.

8-Reconfirming our Enchantment observation the beverage package has lead to a complete change in way you are served. There was a complete lack of waiters in the pool area and in general. Instead of them coming to you to give you a drink and get your money they now make you walk to a bar in order to get the drink you have already paid for. We would often be on deck or in one of the hot tubs and not see a waiter for over an hour.

9-Looked all week for a bunch of Playboy Bunnies covered in baby oil on a big plastic sheet, didn't even come close, oh well maybe next time.

I do not smoke but I tell people this all the time. It is impossible to be allergic to cigarette smoke. :)

My hubby and I both are either allergic to or sensitive to smoke. I never have asthma but I can smell one Cig. and develop asthma, if I am around alot of smoke, I end up in the ER. So whether allergic or sensitive does not matter when it makes me so ill.

We were on this cruise and here are a couple of observations.

1-Smoke was no issue for us even on the smoking side of the pool.

2-The food was much better then the Enchantment 3 weeks earlier. Was is great? No, but it never is anymore. The Windjammer was open late and had many decent choices.

3-The crew was fine, better then the Enchantment. Our Cabin Attendant loved the cruise. Much easier to attended to rooms with no kids as they are far less messy. Plus he enjoyed the fact that most ladies were very nicely dressed each night.

4-There was FAR less drinking/partying then on a standard weekend cruise from Florida.

5-We went for the no kids/adults only and it was nice. The morning we left there was a screaming toddler in the hotel dining area which reminded us of exactly why we were going. This was a fair amount more expensive then other options that week but was worth it.

6-The cross section of people was amazing to us. Even if half were just there for the adults only it sure makes you look at the people in the Supermarket check out line and wonder.

7-The people watching was right up there with Vegas and NYC. We would often sit and watch, you have to see it to believe it.

8-Reconfirming our Enchantment observation the beverage package has lead to a complete change in way you are served. There was a complete lack of waiters in the pool area and in general. Instead of them coming to you to give you a drink and get your money they now make you walk to a bar in order to get the drink you have already paid for. We would often be on deck or in one of the hot tubs and not see a waiter for over an hour.

9-Looked all week for a bunch of Playboy Bunnies covered in baby oil on a big plastic sheet, didn't even come close, oh well maybe next time.

I laughed about the toddler screaming, because when we were in hotel after cruise a family of five had two screaming and I was glad I was not going on their boat.

The smoke and food was what bothered me, the people were are shades and colors live and let live people, which I loved. Last cruise had great food, and I did not pay $3800.00 and from where I live the plane tickets were $800.00 each, so basically $6000.00 plus before and after hotel, I expect something more than CHEWY STEAK in the main dining room and more than HARD ROLLS AND HAMBURGERS AND HOTDOGS in Windjammers. Yes of course there was lamb, which was nasty, and asian which I don't like. I love seafood and southern food. Again, to me the food was not up to standards.

If I smell smoke, I get sick, so basically I could not use the dang pool area or hotub.

Well... I say! As earlier noted, we were out on the pool deck on the non-smoking side for the better part of several afternoons. It definitely was not smoky there - I would have noticed, I don't like to be around smoke either.

I hope you're right about that!

I could not WALK THE POOK DECK AT NIGHT EITHER FOR THE SMOKERS.. I tried four times to sit on the port side of pool but could still smell it, I don't know if they were smoking on the wrong side or just smelled of smoke, but either way this ruined MY CRUISE.

The smoke and food was what bothered me, the people were are shades and colors live and let live people, which I loved. Last cruise had great food, and I did not pay $3800.00 and from where I live the plane tickets were $800.00 each, so basically $6000.00 plus before and after hotel, I expect something more than CHEWY STEAK in the main dining room and more than HARD ROLLS AND HAMBURGERS AND HOTDOGS in Windjammers. Yes of course there was lamb, which was nasty, and asian which I don't like. I love seafood and southern food. Again, to me the food was not up to standards.

If I smell smoke, I get sick, so basically I could not use the dang pool area or hotub.

Did you try the Solarium area? We went to the hot tub in the Solarium area almost every day and I was never bothered by cigarette smoke. (It would have been nice if they'd cleaned the sand out, but that's another topic, I suppose...)

As far as food, I'm not a huge fan of the Windjammer either, except for the fact that they always have a lot of fresh fruit available. We ate in the MDR as often as possible- they were open for lunch on sea days, plus dinner every night. We mostly at the Windjammer for breakfast and late-night snacks, plus lunch the day we were in Roatan, since the MDR wasn't open. I had some nice lunches in the MDR- the Greek salad wasn't stingy with the feta! :) I never ordered the steak in the MDR at dinner, but everything I had was fine....not *amazing* but decent. The appetizers and cold fruit soups are my favorite part of the meal.

Anyway, it sounds like other than the food and smoking, you enjoyed the cruise. As I'm sure you know from all the brochures and ads on-board, there are going to be a lot of options for adults-only cruises on lines other than Royal Caribbean. I just booked the April 2016 cruise on the Divina, and I'm really looking looking to trying MSC! I hope you'll give this kind of cruise another chance.

I could not WALK THE POOK DECK AT NIGHT EITHER FOR THE SMOKERS.. I tried four times to sit on the port side of pool but could still smell it, I don't know if they were smoking on the wrong side or just smelled of smoke, but either way this ruined MY CRUISE.

No, people were not smoking on the port side. We spent most of every afternoon there, and strolled around AND used the hot tubs most evenings after dinner. Saw ONE woman light up on the port side, and she was told to put it out by ship staff within less than a minute.

If you're THAT sensitive to smoke and it ruined YOUR CRUISE, than I agree it's probably best that you never cruise RCI again - or any other cruise line for that matter, not to mention land-based resorts too.

By the way, if all you ever ate at the Windjammer was hard rolls & bad burgers & hotdogs, than you missed/ignored about 90% of the food there. It's not "gourmet" at the Windjammer, but your claim of only burgers, hotdogs & hard rolls is ridiculous.

Edited by LetsGetWet!