White Pass & Yukon Train--Skagway

cruisinlover1414

We are looking at reserving the White Pass and Yukon Train Excursion for our cruise next summer aboard the Star Princess. We have a bunch of OBC so we will want to book through the cruise line, and since it is $129 a person (and we have 6 people going)...we definitely want to make sure its worthwhile. Does anyone have reviews or comments about this excursion? Thanks :)

This was one of the best excursions we did in Alaska! Our trip was 4 years ago, but the whole family still talks about this train ride.

The beautiful sites & scenery you see are second to none. Depending on the time of day you might even see bears right near the tracks. Don't forget your camera!

If we ever get back to Alaska, we would take this awesome train ride again😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you look in the STICKY above, '2014 trip reports', on the last page you'll find a thread with LOTS of photos from the train trip. The photos will give you a great idea of what to expect, altho the scenery can be different depending on when you travel and of course the weather.

Here's the link to that thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078780

Edited by mapleleaves
the link

Thanks! I think we will definitely do this excursion! So, advice...what time would be the best? They have one available from 8-12 or from 12-4?

Good to hear you're doing it, as it was my favourite day of the whole cruise. This is what we did last July, but I would say that as you have OBC to use, consider doing the 'Yukon by road' part too (i.e. not just the train up to Fraser and back) as you'll see a great deal more for relatively few $$$. And you'll still have time for a look around the town of Skagway too. It doesn't much matter which way round you do it, we did train first. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

We really enjoyed the White Pass train ride. We did it on both of our trips into Skagway. We've done it both in the morning and in the afternoon. If you have a choice, I'd pick the afternoon because our morning ride was super foggy and obscured a lot of the scenery, though it had its own beauty. :)

We really enjoyed the White Pass train ride. We did it on both of our trips into Skagway. We've done it both in the morning and in the afternoon. If you have a choice, I'd pick the afternoon because our morning ride was super foggy and obscured a lot of the scenery, though it had its own beauty. :)

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be looking at reserving the one in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be doing the Alaska railroad ride from Seward to Anchorage at the end of our cruise - is it significantly different from the White Pass train to justify doing both? We definitely want to do the White Pass trip but I am thinking since we are doing the Alaska RR we should maybe just do the 90 min bus ride up to the summit, which is also a highly recommended excursion which is narrated.

Any insight much appreciated. We love scenery, but don't want to pay so much for an excursion which may be similar.

If you’re interested in the history of the railway this milepost guide is good. You certainly don’t want to bury your head in it while traveling along the route although reading it before hand and then using it as a guide along the way is nice.

http://www.wpyrmediakit.com/mediakit/milepostguide.html

That guide is very good...not on the "regular site".

We did the Bennett Scenic Journey last July. Want to do it again! Here are four videos that document the trip from Skagway, Alaska to Carcross, Yukon aboard the White Pass and Yukon Route Railway on July 16, 2014.

No fancy editing! These are simply the video clips put together in sequence to produce four 12 minute videos. They were shot with a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver clamped to the "grab iron" on our railcar and simply show the route from that single point of view.

The entire 65 mile trip took about 5 hours with a one hour stop in Bennett, BC for lunch. Average speed was 13 mph with a maximum speed of 35 mph. Maximum altitude was 2960 feet.

Part 1 - Skagway, AK to White Pass

Part 2 - White Pass to Bennett, BC

Part 3 - Bennett to British Columbia/Yukon Border

Part 4 - British Columbia/Yukon Border to Carcross, YT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtZowKWUxasOyzM_8FtrQUg

Still photos here...

If you’re interested in the history of the railway this milepost guide is good. You certainly don’t want to bury your head in it while traveling along the route although reading it before hand and then using it as a guide along the way is nice.

http://www.wpyrmediakit.com/mediakit/milepostguide.html

This is really helpful! Thanks!

I didn't look at the links, but aside from the scenic beauty, I also thought of the history of the gold seekers climbing that pass on foot carrying their tons of food and supplies. And the folks that built that railroad.

It was an awesome endeavor, still alive today for us to enjoy!

We did it as part of our cruisetour, so we didn't return to Skagway, but the journey is absolutely worth the cost.

In general, we've heard across three cruises that the longer the train ride you pick, the better you'll like it. Bennett Lake is the longest, and thankfully that's the one we did. It was an unseasonably warm day (mid-60s, maybe tickling 70) and with the wood stoves on the train cars running, many folks ended up napping a bit after lunch (rocking of the train car, rhythmic pulsing of the wheels on the rails, ...) but still very neat from start to finish.

From a "technical" perspective, it's essentially a single-lane railroad except for a few sidings. Therefore, the "long run" has to start first, or it'd be trapped behind everyone else. After the longest runs, the medium runs go, and the short round-trips shuttle in/out, in/out before the mediums come back in. The Bennett Lake is a one-way train with a one-way bus back/out; even the train crew parks for the night and drives back to Skagway (or vice versa), leaving the train parked overnight in Carcross.

We took the steam excursion that goes to Frasier Meadows BC, turns around on a loop, and goes back to Skagway. It's a four-hour excursion; ours left at 11 a.m. Since we docked at 7, we had plenty of time to explore the town. There are some very good National Park Service exhibits about the gold rush.

This train does not go into the Yukon, so if that's important to you you'll want a different excursion. We booked for the steam engine; DH is a train buff and loves steam engines over diesels (although the Alco and GE diesels WPYR runs are pretty cool too). We were not disappointed. DH thought it was one of the best cruise excursions he's done.:cool:

I am going to book the Whitepass train ride for our stop in Skagway. However, I'm not sure which one to book. The descriptions on the Royal web site are vague at best.

I was thinking about doing the train roundtrip but I'm guessing it's the same track coming and going so basically the same scenery. Is this correct?

Is it better to take the train up and the bus back? I'm not a big fan of bus rides.

Has anyone ever done the train round trip AND the train/bus option? Thoughts?

There are a lot of different options for the train/sightseeing combo's. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best one?

I know that can vary based on the person and their interests but I guess I really just want to know if a roundtrip on the train is fine or if I need to do a combination of the train and something else?

I am going to book the Whitepass train ride for our stop in Skagway. However, I'm not sure which one to book. The descriptions on the Royal web site are vague at best.

Did you look at the rail company descriptions in addition to RCI's description ?

http://wpyr.com/

A previous traveller prepared a photo journal with pros and cons of the train excursion vs rental car. Perhaps her post and photos will help you; it's located on the last page of the 2014 trip reports which are in a STICKY near the top of the page. Look other trip reports to learn about other travellers experiences and the option they chose in Skagway.

Edited by mapleleaves

I was thinking about doing the train roundtrip but I'm guessing it's the same track coming and going so basically the same scenery. Is this correct?

Is it better to take the train up and the bus back? I'm not a big fan of bus rides.

There are a lot of different options for the train/sightseeing combo's. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best one?

I know that can vary based on the person and their interests but I guess I really just want to know if a roundtrip on the train is fine or if I need to do a combination of the train and something else?

The combos, aren't that many, "best" in my opinion is the Lake Bennett train. :) Just superb with scenery and history. A wonderful day trip. There also will be a Fraser, round trip combo that is about a 4 hour trip, only goes up to the summit, along with the same train distance and going up to Emerald Lake. The road combo can also include a Liarsville salmon bake or the Suspension Bridge (very lame).

Read each description, along with some independent vendor narratives. Even though you may not book with them, the extra details could be of benefit.

• 4 weeks later...
This was one of the best excursions we did in Alaska! Our trip was 4 years ago, but the whole family still talks about this train ride.

The beautiful sites & scenery you see are second to none. Depending on the time of day you might even see bears right near the tracks. Don't forget your camera!

If we ever get back to Alaska, we would take this awesome train ride again😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

and now a question that i'm sure has been asked a zillions times:

which side should i try for? From the videos, it seems like the left side is better. Is that true?

and now a question that i'm sure has been asked a zillions times:

which side should i try for? From the videos, it seems like the left side is better. Is that true?

Boarding the train in Skagway- sit on the left. Boarding the trip in Fraser or Carcross sit on the right.

Expanding on the above, cars are assigned, you just can't pick any one to board. Seats inside your car are first come first serve.

Each car has an open, outside. vestibule, allowing standing. You can NOT go car to car. You will be limited to your assigned car only. Commentary is NOT heard outside.

Edited by Budget Queen

Expanding on the above, cars are assigned, you just can't pick any one to board. Seats inside your car are first come first serve.

Each car has an open, outside. vestibule, allowing standing. You can NOT go car to car. You will be limited to your assigned car only. Commentary is NOT heard outside.

Shooting pictures through the train car windows gives some very bad reflections. Standing on the platform between cars is the ideal spot. All of my pictures are from the platforms.

The first picture from May and the second in July with lots less snow.

p5212119.jpg

p5212138.jpg