Tahiti vs. Caribbean?

Lisa616

Can anyone tell me how different the two are? I'm looking into the PG for next winter and my DH thinks that it's not enough of a difference to warrant the very long flight from the midwest, and the expense. I'd love any comments..I'd really like to try something new! Also, how's the weather in Tahiti in Jan/Feb? Thanks so much for any insight!

I prefer French Polynesia to Caribbean. Caribbean ports have different names but all the same tourist shops and are generally overcrowded with several mega cruise ships. The flight to Papeete is long, so do a pre or post stay on Moorea or Bora Bora. Even better, take one of the extended cruises that visit the Marquesas or Australs - they are much different from the Tahitian islands. Weather should be good at the time you want to visit.

Both have sun, sand and warm water. If that is all you are looking for then your husband may be correct.

However, if you are looking for great snorkeling or diving, better food, a bit of the exotic, prettier islands, etc., then FP is the way to go.

I am not a fan of the Caribbean because it has just become so homogenized with low quality everywhere you look. However, the prospects of what FP offer is a whole 'nuther world. It's not perfect as it is expensive and in areas you may find poor attitude...and then there is the travel to it, but most everyone believes it is worth it.

It, IMHO, really depends on what you want to do. First, there are a couple of threads on this board about this topic (try under Destinations/Pacific Islands (all)). As you can see from my signature block we've done eastern and western Caribbean as well as Tahiti (and are going back for the 10 May Tahiti to Fiji trip). So, I can't speak to Southern Caribbean at all (and I suspect that's the prettiest part of the area). If you're comparing PG to a Regent Caribbean cruise the "per diem" may not be all that different. The 12 December PG (a 10 day trip) for instance has a perdiem in the mid $200s. Flight costs (and any pre or post cruise stay) are quite a bit more. Land portions of anything in FP seems expensive ( which is I recommend a 10 day PG itinerary). Each of the island groups in FP have their own attractiveness, which brings me back to "What do you and DH like to do?" If you are water people (snorklers/divers as my wife and I are)-Tahiti hands down. Water clarity, sea life abundance and water temp all favor FP. I, personally, feel the "eye candy" (physical beauty) of FP exceeds that of the Caribbean (I've never been to St Lucia, but I can't believe its soring twim peaks have much on Bora Bora at sunset). Shopping (both duty free and general variety) are better in Caribbean. Regent's Caribbean ships (and anyone else's) are much bigger than PG. That may be some good some bad. Bigger ships will have more and generally better shipboard activities. That said, I don't know how you beat the Les Gauguines experience. I also believe that there are more varied excursion opportunities with Tahiti (the Motu days, Vanilla and Pearl Farm visits, Trek of the Ancients with a FP anthropologist, and such). Finally, hitting the ports of Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Charlotte Amalie, Nassau, feels so "touristy" to me. I don't feel that as much in FP. Other islands (e.g., Virgin Gorda) in the Caribbean were better for me. Hopefully, you're starting to see that while it is probably obvious that I favor FP, I believe it is a very personal choice. I would recommend you and DH talk about What you want to do, what about a vacation is important to you and what kind of experiences you enjoy; then, look at this board, the Destinations Board and choose. It's (again, IMHO) not just FP or Caribbean, it's FP, Southern Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, or Western Caribbean. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Ain't life grand!

Good Luck,

Greg

FP is the ONLY place I have been in the last 20+ years, where I was welcomed warmly and especially BECAUSE I was an American. It gave the entire trip a different feeling.

Comparing FP on the PG to the Southern Caribbean on Silver Shadow, FP wins hands down: motus/beaches, snorkeling conditions, other water sports, historical sites. We also prefer smaller ships.

I would encourage you to consider how much entertainment and evening activity you want: we found evenings on the PG blissfully low-key but others found them terribly dull.

event.png

There are certainly lovely places in the Caribbean, but the south seas is really different. FP is stunningly beautiful, very unspoiled compared to most of the Caribbean. The water is wonderful, and so are the underwater activities. There are also very few tourists; only a few cruise ships pop by once in a while, plus the regulars like the PG and TP.

That being said, being on the east coast too, if it's about de-stressing and enjoying some warm sun, and you have only 7 days or so, go to the Caribbean. If you have time to do the extra travelling, and the money, and can roll in the extra days for a short pre-cruise stay, then do FP.

FP hands down. Pristine, not crowded, more beautiful - "stunningly beautiful" is correct. We actually found the long trip (we flew direct from NYC - 14 hours) very exciting. We knew that we were going to truly one of the most beautiful places on the planet - wonderful service on ATN - we had dinner, drank the free flowing French wine - how bad can that be? Don't sweat the small stuff - you'd be going to paradise.

We went in May 2006 on the TP. We are going this June 2007 on the PG. This is the first time that we are going to the same place 2 years in a row. FP stole our hearts.

The FP waters are crystal clear and about 90 degees in temp.

There are nice places in the Caribbean but nothing like this.

The Paul Gauguin is a very active excursion cruise. We found that it was hard to stay awake long enough to go to the shows in the evening.

for our group of 10 people it was a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10!!

Way more than we had expected.

Hi BILLP1, I guess you will never make it to Hawaii either then;) There is at least direct flight from JFK to PPT. No direct flight from any east coast to Hawaii.:eek:

If diving is any interest to you, Tahiti has better coral reef than the carribean.

Certainly if it's a really special occasion, do the Paul Gauguin, it's a lovely friendly ship, and a great introduction to the islands.

But sometimes it's about compromise. We've been to FP three times on the PG. We had a chance to book on board last month when we were on Navigator in the Caribbean. We chose a 7-day western Carib. on Voyager next December, rather than a 10-day PG in the same time-frame. It's a quick escape from the east coast, we know it will be great to be on Voyager again, and it's easy and cheaper.

Also, French Polynesia is quite hot and humid in December and January, so we have tried to go in the spring, when the weather there is more moderate--so for a winter-getaway, the Caribbean it is! Don't get me wrong, the weather's wonderful there always, but having been there a few times, we can afford to be fussy.

I've never been on Regent before (first cruise will be on Voyager in Dec 2007 to Western Caribbean) but I have been to FP for an extended stay- 6 nights in Moorea and 6 nights on Bora Bora. I've also been to several but not nearly all or even most of the Caribbean islands. Here is my humble opinion: FP is much more beautiful, exotic, exclusive, and less developed. It is also much more expensive and much farther from Canada/USA. If you create HUGE expectations of FP, then you may feel slightly disappointed when you get there because you have paid a lot of money and spent a lot of time to get there and you have built it up in your mind. And it does feel like another hot beautiful island getaway (if you are staying at a resort). But the memories you'll have of your trip to FP will last a lifetime and you'll look back on it and wish you had appreciated it more when you were there. Again, I've never been on PG, so my opinion is based on staying at resorts in FP and the Caribbean and doing a Western Caribbean cruise on Grand Princess. FYI, we are thinking of going back to FP and possibly doing the PG cruise for our 10 year anniversary. I agree with others that you should consider the 10-night voyage vs. 7 nights. Or at the very least, extend your 7-night vacation with a pre or post cruise stay. Enjoy!

Wow! thanks so much for everyone offering opinions. We are thinking of mid february..I really want to go, I just need to talk hubby into the long flight! We would do a 7 night trip, with a night before and after. With kids, leaving at home..that's about our time limit!

This is only my opinion from multiple cruises in all parts of the Caribbean and two itineraries in FP on the Paul Gauguin. FP ranks far ahead of anywhere in the Caribbean. FP is what the Caribbean perhaps used to be before all the tacky commercialization and crowds from visits by multiple mega-ships. FP is beautiful and has many unspoiled areas. The water is warmer, calmer, and clearer. The acquatic life is much more interesting to view. But when you visit FP, be sure to do so on a good, all-inclusive ship -- which means the Paul Gauguin. Prices for food, loging, etc. on land are VERY high and of questionable quality. Taking the Paul Gauguin insulates you from this problem.

But as others have said, travel to FP does involve some long flights. But, since Air Tahiti Nui international flights are all-inclusive also, they seem shorter than they really are.

If you chose the Caribbean, I would certainly avoid Western Caribbean itineries. In most areas visited by these, the ports are the most comercialized and crowded, the water is colder, and marine life not as interesting. Some Eastern Caribbean itineraries can be better, but several island port areas there lack good beaches IMO. The Southern Caribbean is by far the least crowded and spoiled, the water is warmer, the beaches on some islands better, and the marine life more abundant and interesting.

Thanks,

Richard

If you chose the Caribbean, I would certainly avoid Western Caribbean itineries. In most areas visited by these, the ports are the most comercialized and crowded, the water is colder, and marine life not as interesting. Some Eastern Caribbean itineraries can be better, but several island port areas there lack good beaches IMO. The Southern Caribbean is by far the least crowded and spoiled, the water is warmer, the beaches on some islands better, and the marine life more abundant and interesting.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard I beg to differ. I did the eastern caribbean last year, and this year we did the western caribbean. I found the snorkeling much better (in belize) and the stops more interesting (chitzen itza, guatamala, costa maya). There was more history, and less commercialization. The only port that i considered commercialized was Cozumel, but even that was enjoyable for a day. About the only port I really enjoyed last year was the America cup races in St. Maarten and St. Barts. I would have to agree though that the water does feel a bit colder, but heck it's still alot warmer than NY. :)

Swimmer, I'm doing Voyager western-carib in December 2007 as well, departure Dec.14!

Just following up on what Dolebludger said, we did eastern Caribbean last month--it was fine, I really liked St. John in USVI (we had a great snorkel), and enjoyed the stop at the Turks. But...I am looking forward to the anthropological, cultural and historical aspects of the western ports. I know Coz' is very touristy, but it can't be as bad as Nassau! And with Belize and Guatemala thrown in, I think it will be very interesting. There's also fewer seadays and partial seadays, given a FLL-FLL itinerary. Anyways, I won't be able to report back about it for almost a year.

Well, I think ATA had a bit different Western Caribbean itinerary than we have had on our several cruises in this area. So, I don't disagree with him at all on the ports he mentions. I've visited most of them, but few of them have been included on what we've taken called "western Caribbean cruises." Our past cruises that were called " Western Caribbean" have included such places as the Bahamas, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, Cosumel, and the like.

Thanks,

Richard

Can anyone tell me how different the two are? I'm looking into the PG for next winter and my DH thinks that it's not enough of a difference to warrant the very long flight from the midwest, and the expense. I'd love any comments..I'd really like to try something new! Also, how's the weather in Tahiti in Jan/Feb? Thanks so much for any insight!

We have been to both but love Tahit and the South Pacific - well worth the flight and extra expense. Of course, it depends which islands you will visit - Papeete is a large city, but Bora Bora and Moorea amoung others are not as developed and do not have Diamonds International and other mass market tourist traps that are so common in the Caribbean.

Well, I think ATA had a bit different Western Caribbean itinerary than we have had on our several cruises in this area. So, I don't disagree with him at all on the ports he mentions. I've visited most of them, but few of them have been included on what we've taken called "western Caribbean cruises." Our past cruises that were called " Western Caribbean" have included such places as the Bahamas, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, Cosumel, and the like.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard. I'm female FYI :) . I consider the bahamas and st. thomas to be part of the eastern caribbean and I've never been to the cayman islands. So I agree with you as to my take on the three places I've been to that you have been to. (Cozumel, Bahamas and St. Thomas)

ATA:

First allow me to apologize for referring to you as "him." Yes, apparently there are different definitions of "eastern" and "western" Caribbean, and otherwise we have the same take on the specific ports.

Of all the Caribbean cruises we've taken, we have enjoyed the southern Caribbean the most. I only hope there is some uniformity among cruise lines as to what the southern Caribbean is!

But, we feel that French Polynesia blows all Caribbean areas away! We live smack in the middle of the US. When we take the Paul Gauguin, it has always been the same. Fly to LA. Spend the night in a hotel. Catch an Air Tahiti Nui Flight the next day and embark the PG. It does involve a few more hours of flying than the Caribbean, but those "few more hours" are on Air Tahiti Nui which has always been "open bar" so the hours pass quickly and enjoyably. And ATN actually has pretty good food, as well. And, as I said before, a cruise on the PG is the only economically feasible way to "do" FP, due to the high prices and spotty quality of land accomodations -- and lack of quality of what few competing cruise lines sail there. In this regard, the fare increases on other ships in Regent's line in recent years have disturbed us a bit -- and have caused a decrease in our frequency of cruises. But we have noticed that fares on the PG have remained more constant -- meaning that it is a REAL bargain! So, for those wanting a tropical cruise, the PG is not only the best cruise in the world -- period (as I have said before) but it may now also be the best bargain in the world.

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

Swimmer, I'm doing Voyager western-carib in December 2007 as well, departure Dec.14!

Wendy, looking forward to meeting you!! I'm relieved to see the responses to Richard's comments about Western Caribbean cruises. When I saw that I was so dissapointed!

Lisa (aka theswimmer)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a decision to have to make but I do understand your husband's hesitancy in taking the long flight.......a valid concern coming from the east. Normally, Regent would connect us through New York to Tahiti but we chose to route our next trip through LA just to break up the flight a bit as well as adding some pre-cruise days to just mellow out and adjust to the time zones and climate. So at least add some pre-cruise time to your itinerary if you can't go for the longer 10+ day cruises. FP is nothing like the Caribbean and it's unspoiled beauty and lack of the usual tourist hoardes is heaven. In my opinion, the only island in the Caribbean that could possibly come close that is still undeveloped and pristine would be Dominica. In fact Dominica reminds me of Moorea and Bora Bora. No big hotels or condos or fast food joints ruining the view just majestic peaks and rainforest. Granted one of the poorest islands after Haiti but the culture and people are very gentile and friendly. So, if the Caribbean wins I would personally look for an itinerary with Dominica as a port of call. They have excellent snorkeling just offshore from motor launches and the sea is as blue as FP. The coral here still thrives and has vibrant colors....not bleached like at St. John and there is plenty of marine life to view. But having already been infected by the Tahiti flu, my personal choice would always be to go to Tahiti if time would allow for it. Enjoy making your decision! The planning and dreaming is half the fun of cruising.

Pat

Archived