Vancouver -> Chicago -> Buffalo customs question

yardbird

Getting an Air Canada flight out of Vancouver to return home to Buffalo

My understanding is that we do Canadian exit customs and US entry customs right in the Vancouver airport. On the way home we check everything and just travel with our personal bag. We connect in Chicago to a flight operated by United.

My travel consultant said we have to retrieve our bags in Chicago and go through customs again? Is that right? I would have thought if we cleared US entry customs in vancouver, that those checked bags would simply be put on the connecting flight to Buffalo and we wouldn't have to deal with them again.

Anyone done this that can shed some light on what to expect? Not a huge deal. I just don't like surprises :)

Thanks!

You should clear US Immigration and Customs in Vancouver. That essentially changes the flight to Chicago to a domestic flight. So, no, in Chicago, you will not be claiming your bags, clearing Immigration and Customs, and rechecking those bags to your final destination.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thank you. I seem to recall doing the same type exit / entry when leaving Nassau, Bahamas and don't remember having to redo any customs entry upon landing in the US.... but I'm old... and my rememberer might be glitchy...heheh

The information you have been provided is correct.

This is why you want to give yourself extra time in Vancouver for all of this.

We just went through this in May of this year.

It should work like this.

You check in for your flight in Vancouver at the ticket counter.

You then walk your luggage that you are checking in for the flight to an area near the ticket counter and place it on a luggage belt.

You will then go through airport security.

You will then proceed to the USA customs area where you will go through USA immigration and customs.

This wil involve using the kiosks that are set up in this area and then walking up to a both where you will be seen briefly by a USA official.

As to Canadian Customs that will be done by the ship and you will be filling out a form on the ship.

Have a great time.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

My travel consultant said we have to retrieve our bags in Chicago and go through customs again? Is that right?

Yeah, you need to can that TA, that's a really basic thing to mess up.

You should be aware there is a difference between immigration and customs. Lumping the two together as "customs" as many people do is confusing, on some journeys you'll clear immigration and customs in different countries.

Most of the flights clear customs and immigration at Vancouver airport, with the exception of the red eye flights. It depends on your departure time. Preclearance closes at 830pm, so if you are on an overnight flight to Chicago, you clear customs and immigration in Chicago in the morning and do need to claim your luggage. What time does your flight depart?

Most of the flights clear customs and immigration at Vancouver airport, with the exception of the red eye flights. It depends on your departure time. Preclearance closes at 830pm, so if you are on an overnight flight to Chicago, you clear customs and immigration in Chicago in the morning and do need to claim your luggage. What time does your flight depart?

Flight leaves Vancouver at 1:55pm. So it's an early afternoon flight

Also be aware that there is no exit immigration in Canada (like the US). You don't have to go through any passport controls to exit Canada, only to enter Canada, just like you don't go through any passport controls to exit the US, only to enter the US. This will save a bit of time at YVR, but still give yourself plenty of time for US pre-clearance.

Also be aware that there is no exit immigration in Canada (like the US). You don't have to go through any passport controls to exit Canada, only to enter Canada, just like you don't go through any passport controls to exit the US, only to enter the US. This will save a bit of time at YVR, but still give yourself plenty of time for US pre-clearance.

1:55pm flight out.

I planned on arriving around 11am (3 hours ahead of departure...international flight...yadda, yadda)

That sound like plenty of time?

Also....never been through YVR. Assuming it's a decent sized airport and will have a coffee shop or food place(s) inside the secure zone for us to chill if we're super early

1:55pm flight out.

I planned on arriving around 11am (3 hours ahead of departure...international flight...yadda, yadda)

That sound like plenty of time?

Also....never been through YVR. Assuming it's a decent sized airport and will have a coffee shop or food place(s) inside the secure zone for us to chill if we're super early

3 hours is just fine, and yes, there are places to eat and drink after security within the US departures area.

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours is just fine, and yes, there are places to eat and drink after security within the US departures area.

In the US departure area there is duty free, a number of places to eat etc.

There is also a Plaza Premium Lounge if you have a preference to use a business class lounge. You can pre-book on their website.

Air Canada also has a nice lounge. If you have Star Gold status, are flying business it is included. For some economy fare classes you can also buy access. For discounted fare class you can't.

Thank you. I seem to recall doing the same type exit / entry when leaving Nassau, Bahamas and don't remember having to redo any customs entry upon landing in the US.... but I'm old... and my rememberer might be glitchy...heheh

You are correct. On flights from Nassau to the US you pre-clear US customs in Nassau. We did this a couple of years ago. Typically you must have your bags with you when you clear customs. At NAS, you check your bags but they photograph them. At customs, your passport is scanned and a photo of your bags comes up, you verify that yes, those are your bags, and go through.

And to the OP- I would stop using that travel consultant, as they clearly don't know what they're talking about! If they are wrong about this, I can only imagine what other sorts of things they are misinformed on.

Edited by waterbug123