Spring Break Cruise

Nautical Mile

Always thinking of our next cruise. We have never sailed in March before and was thinking about either the Grandeur of the Seas, out of Baltimore or the Quantum, out of Bayonne, but we don't want the college kid spring break type of experience. Has anyone done these ships at that time of year? If so, how was cruise?

We sailed last March on Breakaway out of NYC. It was Ontario March break, so there were a lot of Canadians with kids. We didn't see a lot of spring break type partying, but maybe that's because we hid in the Haven quite a bit! Whatever cruise you take, I would expect the ship to be at full capacity with a lot of children.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spring break = college students looking for a party = more college kids on board. (This is only tempered by length of cruise in that typically the shorter the cruise = the bigger the party).

Quantum would likely represent that to the max as it is a new ship with more young cruiser targeted venues than most other ships afloat. Grandeur perhaps not so much, but re-read my first statement then decide.

Note also that this time period will be heavy with families with children as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You're not going to see the college age kids on a cruise during spring break because unless they're 21, they can't cruise without a parent or guardian. Plus, those under 21 do seem to use spring break as a drinking party, and they can't do that on a cruise ship.

What you will find during spring break season (and that is anytime from the second week of March until the week of Easter) will be TONS of kids, regardless of what ship you're on. The only cruise line that seems to attract less kids is Celebrity. That line doesn't have all the bells and whistles that kids and families like, such as the swimming, rock climbing, water slides and all that.

True that Celebrity may attract LESS kids, but I will NEVER cruise March ever again after being overrun by kids on a Celebrity ship. We also avoid Holiday time.

It was our 3rd Celebrity sailing and we were shocked and underwhelmed to say the least. Thank heaven we had a balcony to retreat to - we couldn't take the screaming by the kids in the pools (both pools). Not having fun screams that are more like shrieks of laughter - but horrible screaming. And the pool staff couldn't manage to keep them out of the adults only pool.

True that Celebrity may attract LESS kids, but I will NEVER cruise March ever again after being overrun by kids on a Celebrity ship. We also avoid Holiday time.

It was our 3rd Celebrity sailing and we were shocked and underwhelmed to say the least. Thank heaven we had a balcony to retreat to - we couldn't take the screaming by the kids in the pools (both pools). Not having fun screams that are more like shrieks of laughter - but horrible screaming. And the pool staff couldn't manage to keep them out of the adults only pool.

And that's the reason why we don't think Celebrity is a line for families. Because there's so little for kids to do, they will take over areas and generally act like kids who are bored.

It's not the college kids; a cruise is too expensive vs. all you can drink in Mexico.

Any time you cruise during a school holiday period you will find more children aboard.

Personal I'd rather hang out with the college kids. :cool:

Spring break = college students looking for a party = more college kids on board. (This is only tempered by length of cruise in that typically the shorter the cruise = the bigger the party).

Quantum would likely represent that to the max as it is a new ship with more young cruiser targeted venues than most other ships afloat. Grandeur perhaps not so much, but re-read my first statement then decide.

Note also that this time period will be heavy with families with children as well.

True. But you could also argue that Quantum has more to do for kids, which may keep them out of trouble and out of site ;).

I think you have to assume lots of kids during spring break, so pick a ship that has the most to offer them, as kids are more prone to get into trouble when they are bored...

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We've taken several cruises during DH's spring breaks from teaching at a community college. His spring break is generally the third week of March. For the most part, we haven't run into a lot of drunk college students on these cruises. The most sedate was a Holland America cruise. The wildest was a Carnival one from Charleston.

It's not the college kids; a cruise is too expensive vs. all you can drink in Mexico.

Any time you cruise during a school holiday period you will find more children aboard.

Personal I'd rather hang out with the college kids. :cool:

After an Easter weekend cruise with a seemingly shipful of college kids, I would rather be on a ship with the small fry who hopefully are keeping busy in the kids' programs or playing in the pool as long as they're supervised by their parents. We've had a problem with unsupervised kids on just one cruise (a big extended family -- the parents basically ignored their kids, and the kids didn't go to the kids' program rooms, according to our then-8-year-old).

Of course, that weekend cruise was pretty funny. When the college kids were returning from their day in Ensenada, and staggering from the cabs back to the ship, it was quite a show from up on deck. And the next day was sooooo quiet.

Always thinking of our next cruise. We have never sailed in March before and was thinking about either the Grandeur of the Seas, out of Baltimore or the Quantum, out of Bayonne, but we don't want the college kid spring break type of experience. Has anyone done these ships at that time of year? If so, how was cruise?

Spring break is spring break, you will find the families will have the time to cruise.