Timing Of Beginning Brazil Visa Process

hpeabody

I am a US citizen, so I know I will be required to have a Visa to enter Brazil. I will first be entering Brazil on Feb 26 or 27, 2017 at Iguacu Falls. Is there any requirement regarding the timing of submitting your visa application? ie: so many days before expected arrival. I am in Southern California, so I plan to go to Los Angeles Brazilian Consulate in person. I am thinking of getting it done sooner rather than later.

I will be entering Brazil also in February, 2017. I just obtained my visa, utilizing an agency as I do not live close to the consulate. Although the consulate's website said to apply within 4 months of travel to Brazil, the agency I used said that did not apply to me. I'm not sure why. Anyway, they were apparently right, as the visa was granted with no problems.

We live in the Midwest and use Chicago to file for a visa for Brazil, different consulates jurisdictions have different requirements. You have to first fill out the visa form online and then send the info to the visa agency for presentation to the consulate. I sent all of my info mine last week and an schedule to receive our passport and visa back August 26. We leave in November. It takes about 15 business days for the consulate to process your visa. Be aware you have to upload your passport photo(and send on too) and your passport with the online application. Then you have to send everything to the agency for presentation to the consulate. I thought this visa was more complicated than the Chinese visa but it could have been I was able to take the Chinese visa application to a local agency for presentation plus you don't file it out online.

I am a US citizen, so I know I will be required to have a Visa to enter Brazil. I will first be entering Brazil on Feb 26 or 27, 2017 at Iguacu Falls. Is there any requirement regarding the timing of submitting your visa application? ie: so many days before expected arrival. I am in Southern California, so I plan to go to Los Angeles Brazilian Consulate in person. I am thinking of getting it done sooner rather than later.

The visa is good for 10 years from the date of issue.

I believe Los Angeles schedules appointments, at the time of filling out the online application form. Leave yourself enough time when filling out the online form to choose a vacant in-person appointment time at a comfortable future date.

Usually, one of the requirements is to submit your itinerary. Some of the consulates ask for a booked and paid for ticket. Some ask for a printed itinerary/flight schedule on letterhead that a travel agency can print out for you. This can actually be for potential flights at around the time you anticipate traveling, which, if not paid for within a certain period, are automatically cancelled. I do not see ANY requirement on the Los Angeles Consulate's site currently.

Although the Los Angeles Consulate says visas take 5 business days, the only problem you could anticipate is that there is always a heavy volume of applications in the time period leading up to Carnaval, that often results in backups to receive the visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Do be sure that you check either the Brazilian consulate's webpage that services your area/state or check with a reputable visa processor who should be able to guide you through the process. Obviously, the later will cost additional.

While your documents must be presented in person, it doesn't have to be by the person applying for the visa. This is where the processor comes in. For me it would have been as expensive or more so to travel to Miami to acquire my visa, so it made sense to use a processor. Others might find it less expensive to do it themselves.

I got my passport with visa back inside of 2 weeks from the Brazilian consulate in Miami. Many processors will tell you not to apply until you are within 4 calendar months but I never got the impression that this was the rule. But, you can email the consulate you will be using and ask.

Do be sure that you check either the Brazilian consulate's webpage that services your area/state or check with a reputable visa processor who should be able to guide you through the process. Obviously, the later will cost additional.

While your documents must be presented in person, it doesn't have to be by the person applying for the visa. This is where the processor comes in. For me it would have been as expensive or more so to travel to Miami to acquire my visa, so it made sense to use a processor. Others might find it less expensive to do it themselves.

I got my passport with visa back inside of 2 weeks from the Brazilian consulate in Miami. Many processors will tell you not to apply until you are within 4 calendar months but I never got the impression that this was the rule. But, you can email the consulate you will be using and ask.

Would you mind emailing me the name of the processor you used.

We are also in Florida and plan on using the one available on the Princess website, but they are saying it is not available till 90 days out.

If it is possible to do this earlier that would be our preference .

Thanks

Chris

Cristine at aol dot com

• 2 weeks later...
Would you mind emailing me the name of the processor you used.

We are also in Florida and plan on using the one available on the Princess website, but they are saying it is not available till 90 days out.

If it is possible to do this earlier that would be our preference .

Thanks

Chris

Cristine at aol dot com

Hi Cristine, sorry that I didn't attend to this sooner.

We used HALs recommended visa processor, VisaCentral. You can get started with them at http://www.visacentral.com. Download their application kit, even if you don't use them, as it will give you an idea of what the Miami consulate requires.

When you say you upload your passport photo, do you mean a copy of the passport page that has the photo, a separate copy of THAT photo, or a photo that meets passport standards?

You upload a photo that meets passport standards. So, you could take this photo yourself, or scan and upload a "passport" photo you've had made recently.

Edited by 0bnxshs

We used HALs recommended visa processor, VisaCentral. Download their application kit, even if you don't use them, as it will give you an idea of what the Miami consulate requires.

You can also get "an idea of what the Miami consulate requires" by reading the visa pages of the actual Miami Brazilian Consulate site. (Note that all official Braxilian Consulate sites have the name of the city and the word "itamaraty" in the URL site address.) In fact, that site is the ONLY place you are guaranteed to find the official, up-to-date requirements.

And in an effort to make things even more clear for those not used to applying for visas, there is now a link on the Miami site to this page, with a list and description of exactly what is required:

http://sistemas.mre.gov.br/kitweb/datafiles/Miami/en-us/file/VITUR.pdf#page2

Edited by VidaNaPraia

We live in the Midwest and use Chicago to file for a visa for Brazil, different consulates jurisdictions have different requirements. You have to first fill out the visa form online and then send the info to the visa agency for presentation to the consulate. I sent all of my info mine last week and an schedule to receive our passport and visa back August 26. We leave in November. It takes about 15 business days for the consulate to process your visa. Be aware you have to upload your passport photo(and send on too) and your passport with the online application. Then you have to send everything to the agency for presentation to the consulate. I thought this visa was more complicated than the Chinese visa but it could have been I was able to take the Chinese visa application to a local agency for presentation plus you don't file it out online.

I'm worrying myself about this since I only have two months. It appears I do the app on line, then upload pictures and signature. Then take receipt, passport and pictures to Chicago. Is there anything I'm missing? Drivers license? Itinerary ?

The key to success is following the instructions for your particular consulate to the letter since they do vary significantly. You probably need something proving your reason for going--cruise documents. I would also bring a copy of what you submitted electronically. For our consulate we were required to bring a postage prepaid USPS envelope--one of the priority ones they have at the post office which we then paid the postage at the post office. We also had to pay the cost of the visa with USPS so be sure you have the correct form of payment.

I'm worrying myself about this since I only have two months. It appears I do the app on line, then upload pictures and signature. Then take receipt, passport and pictures to Chicago. Is there anything I'm missing? Drivers license? Itinerary ?

What is it about "Read the visa pages on your consulates site." that you don't understand?

Chicago's list of items on their site is:

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/vitur_(tourist_visa).xml

Here is what is currently posted on the Canadian information site for obtaiing a Visa for Brazil;

BRAZIL IS ON STRIKE - NO VISAS ARE BEING ISSUED. Effective immediately, staff of the Brazilian Foreign Ministry, and the Brazilian embassies and all consulates general of Brazil are on strike for an indefinite period. NO VISAS WILL BE ISSUED by the Brazilian authorities anywhere in the world. Only emergency visas, as strictly and closely defined by Brazilian law, will be considered. Emergency visas do not include business or conference or student or researcher or cruise or tourist or family visit visas. Canadians are warned to avoid all attempts to travel to Brazil until the strike has been settled and visas are again being issued. Once again, there are NO VISAS being issued by Brazil due to a strike by the foreign ministry staff. There is NO WAIVER to allow Canadian to enter without a visa during the strike. Do NOT attempt to enter Brazil without a visa.

Be sure to check your own governments website.

If the strike does continue for some time you could be better off paying the extra money for a service and hopefully they might have ways of expediting the process as this strike will no doubt lead to backlogs.

Good luck

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

Here is what is currently posted on the Canadian information site for obtaiing a Visa for Brazil;

BRAZIL IS ON STRIKE - NO VISAS ARE BEING ISSUED. Effective immediately, staff of the Brazilian Foreign Ministry, and the Brazilian embassies and all consulates general of Brazil are on strike for an indefinite period. NO VISAS WILL BE ISSUED by the Brazilian authorities anywhere in the world. Only emergency visas, as strictly and closely defined by Brazilian law, will be considered. Emergency visas do not include business or conference or student or researcher or cruise or tourist or family visit visas. Canadians are warned to avoid all attempts to travel to Brazil until the strike has been settled and visas are again being issued. Once again, there are NO VISAS being issued by Brazil due to a strike by the foreign ministry staff. There is NO WAIVER to allow Canadian to enter without a visa during the strike. Do NOT attempt to enter Brazil without a visa.

Be sure to check your own governments website.

If the strike does continue for some time you could be better off paying the extra money for a service and hopefully they might have ways of expediting the process as this strike will no doubt lead to backlogs.

Good luck. Rochelle

"Brazil is on strike"??????? Brazil? The whole country?

Like the Zika scare and the crime warnings and other exaggerated fears the media and some governments promoted prior to the Olympics, and which turned out to be far from reality, this seems sensationalized. I have no idea what type of site it is where you found this "information".

-----------

The reporting from the Boston Globe newspaper of August 26, 2016 is more realistic, to whit:

"An official at the Brazilian embassy in Washington confirmed that work actions had affected the embassy and dozens of consulates worldwide, including 10 in the United States. But the walkouts varied. In Boston, only a third of the 15 consular workers were on strike Friday .......Other employees are local contract workers who are paid according to US laws." and are not striking.

As mentioned before, strikes are a common yearly tactic in wage negotiations in Brazil, and they don't usually last long.

Since some employees are working, visas are certainly getting processed and there may be none of the purported backlogs in the scare-mongering above.

Also as mentioned before, check the site of the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls, for information on how that consulate is operating.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I got the information from the Visa services Canada website;

http://visaservicescanada.ca/countries/brazil.php

The intention of my post was not to cause any "fear-mongering" but to provide what I thought was important current information.

An earlier poster mentioned having 2 months until their cruise and going to Chicago with their application. If I were in that situation I would be getting my application in as soon as possible and if there is a strike happening and traveling to the consulate is involved I would be calling before hand to make sure that passports were indeed being processed.

As mentioned in my earlier post I did state to check with your own governments website.

Rochelle

I got the information from the Visa services Canada website [url=http://visaservicescanada.ca/countries/brazil.php]http://visaservicescanada.ca/countries/brazil.php[/url

The intention of my post was not to cause any "fear-mongering" but to provide what I thought was important current information.

An earlier poster mentioned having 2 months until their cruise and going to Chicago with their application. If I were in that situation I would be getting my application in as soon as possible and if there is a strike happening and traveling to the consulate is involved I would be calling before hand to make sure that passports were indeed being processed.

As mentioned in my earlier post I did state to check with your own governments website.

Rochelle

And as I mentioned before, the only site with accurate information is that of your Brazilian consulate. No other government is privy.

"Important current information" perhaps, but not fully accurate.

And you have further demonstrated your lack of knowledge about the Brazilian Consulates if you recommend calling one as an effective way of checking on a visa process.

And as I mentioned before, the only site with accurate information is that of your Brazilian consulate. No other government is privy.

"Important current information" perhaps, but not fully accurate.

And you have further demonstrated your lack of knowledge about the Brazilian Consulates if you recommend calling one as an effective way of checking on a visa process.

I was not attempting to engage in an argument although it is coming across as you might be.

If I post erroneous information (and it certainly would not be intentional) I would hope that someone would step up and post the correct information and am not in the least bit offended if and when they do. That said, there is no reason to be rude in doing so.

It is true that my knowledge of Brazilian Consulates is very limited. I do not see why you are belittling the idea of calling a consulate to ensure they are accepting visa applications or if workers may be on strike, especially if someone has a limited amount of time or they need to travel some distance to reach one. That is what I would do, you may do whatever is right for you.

If my post has misled anyone I do sincerely apologize, as that was certainly not my intent. I merely meant to share information I had come across in my own quest to find out more on the subject.

Enough said from me. Happy cruising!

Rochelle

I was not attempting to engage in an argument although it is coming across as you might be.

If I post erroneous information (and it certainly would not be intentional) I would hope that someone would step up and post the correct information and am not in the least bit offended if and when they do. That said, there is no reason to be rude in doing so.

It is true that my knowledge of Brazilian Consulates is very limited. I do not see why you are belittling the idea of calling a consulate to ensure they are accepting visa applications or if workers may be on strike, especially if someone has a limited amount of time or they need to travel some distance to reach one. That is what I would do, you may do whatever is right for you.

If my post has misled anyone I do sincerely apologize, as that was certainly not my intent. I merely meant to share information I had come across in my own quest to find out more on the subject.

Enough said from me. Happy cruising!

Rochelle

I don't doubt your intentions were good, but the end result is to muddy the waters further, particularly for anyone who reads this thread looking for information on getting a Brazilian visa in the future, as the OP did with other threads. It often becomes a big game of telephone.

"You don't see.." because you don't know that most Brazilian Consulates NEVER answer their published phone number. One or two are actually admitting to that in print on their sites most recently. (There usually is a second private number that is answered.) Usually you can email and a couple of weeks later you may get a generic answer which may or may not solve anything.

Many Brazilian Consulates state straight out on their sites that processing times for visa agencies are significantly longer than for individuals. That would include during and after a strike.

So again, readers should not rely on misleading, erroneous, or limited (to experience with one Brazilian Consulate in one country) information.

Only credit the information currently posted on the specific site for the Brazilian Consulate with jurisdiction over your residence. Read that site carefully and thoroughly.

• 1 month later...

We applied for our Brazilian visas yesterday at the Miami consulate. Here are my impressions and some suggestions if you live in Florida and are planning to apply in person:

• The on-line application is much more complex than the one we completed in 2009. Make sure you make copies of everything you attach on line (visa photo, signature, passport, drivers license, letter of credit, arrival/departure reservations, hotel reservations, etc.) and bring them with you. The consulate's on-line instructions were thorough and the step by step instruction on completing the on-line application were sufficient.
  • You also need to bring your completed on-line receipt signed and with photo attached, your passport (duh!), a $160 US Postal Money order (we saw 3 people turned away for not having that), and a signed letter requesting a visa. We also brought a Priority Mail envelope for returning the visas by mail since one trip of 1 hour each way is enough for us!
  • The consulate is open for visa processing from 2 pm to 4 pm but we heard the guard say he opens the doors at 1:30 so people don't need to wait outside in the heat. You are given a number denoting visa application or visa pickup. We arrived at 2 pm and had number 14 for visa applications. We waited a half hour and the interview took 10 minutes (5 minutes each). The staffer said they would mail us our passports in 14 days. We were done by 2:45.
  • There is little public parking nearby but the building has valet parking for $8 up to 4 hours.
  • We made a day of it and spent the morning and early afternoon at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens - a 100 year old house on Biscayne Bay (and only 4 miles from the consulate) with lovely gardens. I highly recommend it if you are driving some distance to get to the consulate!

Our online filling out of the application form was just as capriccio has just explained. My mother and I had our pictures taken at Costco and I scanned them as well as the signature in our passports to attach to the online application. We then printed the receipt and brought all the necessary paperwork as well as our passport to the office at 77 Bloor St. in Toronto. This was done on October 11th and we were given a receipt with a date of 10 business days (October 25th) to come back and pick them up.

Our traveling companion brought a pre paid Canada Post envelope ($12.50 within Ontario) with them and were told their passport and visa would be mailed to them by the same date of October 25th.

Important information about some changes. Apparently in the past there has been an additional fee of $25 to have them mail you your documents plus the cost of the envelope. This is not the case any longer as there was no additional charge. Also a wonderful change is that they have recently stated accepting debit so you do not need to get a certified check or bank draft as we did.

In my first post in this thread I mentioned a Strike which was supposedly slowing down the visa process and that they would only be dealing with emergency visas. There were two signs prominently displaying this exact same information about the strike in the offices but obviously was not an issue for us and was not mentioned by the clerk. Not wanting to ruffle any feathers I did not ask why those signs were posted but once we return to collected our passports and my visa is in my possession securing my trip I will ask then. ;)

Anyone thinking about taking advantage of those great cruise prices to South America...I say go for it and jump on that visa right away.

Rochelle

We applied for our Brazilian visas yesterday at the Miami consulate. Here are my impressions and some suggestions if you live in Florida and are planning to apply in person:

• The on-line application is much more complex than the one we completed in 2009. Make sure you make copies of everything you attach on line (visa photo, signature, passport, drivers license, letter of credit, arrival/departure reservations, hotel reservations, etc.) and bring them with you. The consulate's on-line instructions were thorough and the step by step instruction on completing the on-line application were sufficient.
  • You also need to bring your completed on-line receipt signed and with photo attached, your passport (duh!), a $160 US Postal Money order (we saw 3 people turned away for not having that), and a signed letter requesting a visa. We also brought a Priority Mail envelope for returning the visas by mail since one trip of 1 hour each way is enough for us!
  • The consulate is open for visa processing from 2 pm to 4 pm but we heard the guard say he opens the doors at 1:30 so people don't need to wait outside in the heat. You are given a number denoting visa application or visa pickup. We arrived at 2 pm and had number 14 for visa applications. We waited a half hour and the interview took 10 minutes (5 minutes each). The staffer said they would mail us our passports in 14 days. We were done by 2:45.
  • There is little public parking nearby but the building has valet parking for $8 up to 4 hours.
  • We made a day of it and spent the morning and early afternoon at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens - a 100 year old house on Biscayne Bay (and only 4 miles from the consulate) with lovely gardens. I highly recommend it if you are driving some distance to get to the consulate!

When we were interviewed on October 12, the staffer and the official receipt said that our passports with the visas would be mailed on October 26. We were surprised to receive them in today's (the 20th) mail. They have a processed date of yesterday (the 19th) and, with our priority mail envelope, they were delivered today. As much as I dreaded the entire process, it went very smoothly.