formal nights.

plumstead

Oceania for one.

But perhaps the other question is which cruise lines provide great alternatives to those who no longer want to attend formal nights. We are in that group.

On Celebrity for example, their optional dining venues do not have a formal wear requirement. Same for RCI and believe RCI. They also keep their buffet dining areas open late.

HAL on the other hand does nothing except provide room service and close their buffet at 8PM, which means that a good deal of the food is being removed after 7:30. Not a very accommodating option. On NCL it was optional.

If you do not want to attend formal nights, don't limit yourself to those lines who do not have them. From our perspective, there is a definite trend away from formal nights. Many of cruise lines acknowledge this and are proving great alternatives. You will not be alone.

This upcoming cruise will be our first with Carnival (previously, we've cruised Princess and Royal Caribbean) and, from what I've read, cruise "formal" has become quite informal for many. This is great news for our family, although my granddaughter has already informed us she is wearing her sequined dress (think Elsa of Frozen fame) on at least one of the formal nights. :)

The reason I asked the question is because I feel that cruising is loosing some of the things that make a cruise special.

I am only now able to afford cruise holidays, wish I could have cruised 10 years ago when crushing was special.

The reason I asked the question is because I feel that cruising is loosing some of the things that make a cruise special.

I am only now able to afford cruise holidays, wish I could have cruised 10 years ago when crushing was special.

Oh, I dunno. I still think cruising is special. :)

Edited by CanadianDee

Thomson cruises have an Elegant Night, but some people prefer to dress down and eat in the buffet.

As you're from the UK, you probably already know that both P&O and Cunard are quite strict about their formal and semi-formal nights, although P&O's vast family ships are less concerned about the semi- formal.

Fred Olsen also has formal nights, but I'm not sure about Cruise and Maritime.

On our cruise from the UK on an RCI ship, the first formal night had the majority in evening wear, although not as many dinner jackets as on Cunard/P&O.

I'm more concerned that cruise lines still offer "traditional dining" for those of us who feel that is something that makes a cruising vacation unique compared to just going on a land trip. Princess offers the choice as well as alternatives to dressing up or not on "formal nights." Just about every formal night we'll go to formal nights in the MDR-- hubby in his suit and me in a LBD, cocktail dress or something similar.

Princess has formal nights on most cruises. Most people do conform to the dress codes in the MDRS on those nights. You will find at least 90 percent of men in suits or tuxes and ladies in nice dresses.

Princess is also said to have some of the best itineraries.

We have only been cruising for a few years and we find it very special.

Because cruises are becoming so cheap and drink packages are now being included passengers have changed.

It may depend on the specific cruise line

I do not find Oceania cheap

the passengers seem well travelled & well behaved ;)

The reason I asked the question was to find out what cruise lines still hold formal nights, as I would then look at their itinerys only. Perhaps I did not make my question clear enough.

So you are looking for lines WITH formal nights ...correct?

The reason I asked the question was to find out what cruise lines still hold formal nights, as I would then look at their itinerys only. Perhaps I did not make my question clear enough.

Your phrasing made it sound like you were trying to avoid formal nights.

If you want formal, elegant dining then Cunard is No. 1. Formal nights are long or short formal dresses for women and black tie or dark suit for men, tie required. Informal nights still expect people to dress nicely but men must wear a jacket with tie optional.

Edited by BlueRiband