Another "R" ship cabin question

Desert_ Dweller

Can someone offer a an answer to a query I have regarding the aft facing A1 and A2 cabins.

On deck 7 and deck 8 the 4 cabins are categorized as A1 cabins and on deck 6, the 2 cabins are in the

A2 category . Is there a reason other than the lower location of deck 6 for this difference ? Are the balconies of these cabins a similar size ? Looking at the deck plans, deck 8 balconies looks to be the smaller than

deck 7 balconies and is it possible that deck 6 A2s have a deeper balcony ?

Thank you for any opinions you may have to offer.

Joan

Can someone offer a an answer to a query I have regarding the aft facing A1 and A2 cabins.

On deck 7 and deck 8 the 4 cabins are categorized as A1 cabins and on deck 6, the 2 cabins are in the

A2 category . Is there a reason other than the lower location of deck 6 for this difference ? Are the balconies of these cabins a similar size ? Looking at the deck plans, deck 8 balconies looks to be the smaller than

deck 7 balconies and is it possible that deck 6 A2s have a deeper balcony ?

Thank you for any opinions you may have to offer.

Joan

You have read the deck plans very carefully and very well, Joan, the cabin sizes are identical but because of the angled shape of the superstructure, the size of those aft facing verandas decrease as you go higher in the ship.

x_012654.jpg

They are not marketed identically, because apparently they don't sell identically. People simply imagine that the higher cabins are more desirable, and are willing to pay more for them.

- and Oceania will be the first to tell you that the customer is always right. :D

That's why I thought the aft deck 6 was a better deal. Larger balcony at lower price, same cabin size. My DW prefers lower too. Maybe higher gives a better unobstructed view but I don't mind going to the rail for that.

We've got two sailings in 6093 on the same ship. I'll let you know if my theories pan out like JimandStan indicated but you'll have to wait until next year. :D

Oh and TYVM for the aft pic. Best I've seen of the stern.

As an after thought...being in concierge also gets you double specialty restaurant reservations on R class. Made it a no brainer for me. Worth the view and upcharge.

I have been on Azamara R ships many times. Oceania R ships are the same. Avoid aft cabins. Aft cabins vibrate. Friends were in huge suites aft. Suite was nice except for the vibration. In the Dining Room, ask to be seated away from the aft section. Forward cabins are good. I like deck 7 near the forward elevators. If you are forward of the elevators, you get less foot traffic.

I have been on Azamara R ships many times. Oceania R ships are the same. Avoid aft cabins. Aft cabins vibrate. Friends were in huge suites aft. Suite was nice except for the vibration. In the Dining Room, ask to be seated away from the aft section. Forward cabins are good. I like deck 7 near the forward elevators. If you are forward of the elevators, you get less foot traffic.

You'll find just as many Aft Cabin advocates, Redtravel, who will claim that forward cabins feel more of the motion of the Ocean, and are too near the music in the forward Lounges.

Another wrinkle is that some find a ships vibration disturbing, others find it a soothing white background noise.

My third thought is that we haven't been on Azamara for years, but if the vibrations on their R ships are as severe as you describe, it might be a sign of poor maintenance. On Oceania, the vibration IS just that, a background noise....

OMG, I'm currently in 6093, an aft facing A2, on Sirena Papeete to LA and it's the cruise/view of my life. If you can get any aft grab it. Yes it's got vibration and a lot of rolling, but walking in that door for the first time and seeing that massive balcony, it was a gobsmacker. You weren't asking about the merits of the cabin but I'm extolling it anyway. I booked this cruise in an inside guarantee and as time passed, received one paid-for upgrade and one free upgrade, and one a gift from my TA, somehow being fortunate enough to end up in this aft cabin. One became available less than 2 weeks before sailing. We have to book inside cabins to be able to afford to cruise O. And for years I'd look wistfully up at the aft cabins and think, "someday...." Holy moley, it was worth the wait.

Love the vibration and movement too. Love that feeling of the ship and ocean enveloping me :)

• Like 1

You folks are a wealth of information. If I had my druthers, I would select a deck 6 aft (facing) A2. Howevvver, I'm sure

we will tolerate the one we were able to secure on deck 8. It's a 25 day cruise, our first on "O" , seeing some of the Amazon river.

I appreciate the comments on the aft vibration. That being said, my DH...needs white noise at night. So..that could, very well make him happy.