did you feel like you missed out?

trish1c

I'm in the very early stages of planning a dream trip to Hawaii. I want to see "everything" which I know is an unrealistic expectation but it may be my only trip to the islands.

I'm debating between an island land stay & a cruise. We love to cruise but I'm afraid that if we cruise, we'll miss something, especially the local nightlife.

If we go a few days early & stay on the islands, then cruise, would that get us a better overview? I don't want to feel like I'm "trapped" on board looking longingly out to see & wishing I was on land.

Does a Hawaiian cruise feel like a Caribbean cruise?

I would suggest you consider both. I would also highly suggest, you go for as long as you can afford, this isn't the place to skimp. A combo of island time and a cruise can work out extremely well. Flying between islands is simple and reasonable in cost. I would not spend most of my "land" time on Oahu, however. A NCL cruise offers a great itinerary. With rental cars, you can really see and do a lot every day.

I go for at least three weeks. I fly into Kona, do my touring, fly to Honolulu, day of cruise. Cruise, Stay a few days on Oahu, then a week in Maui. Easy to book open jaw/multi city flights. This is ideal for me.

Consider doing a b2b cruise. We have done b2b three times now with NCL and have never regretted it.

Somethings to consider is that hawaii and its islands are not cheap to stay and food is outragiously priced and restaurants are even worse so if you have to eat out 2 to 3 times a day it will add up. A qt. of milk can cost $7 to 9 bucks.

There is a reason why Spam is the number one selling food item in Hawaii and even Mc D sells it.

So if you cruise you use it as a hotel with meals, book all excursions off ship and in advance and y'll save 40% or more over ship prices.

Roberts Hawaii as an example offers discounts on 3/4 combo tours.

Bottom line is Hawaii is not a cheap vacation nor are the flights.

You'' also get a bigger bang for the buck doing NCL cruise as they offer the most amt of times at the islands and it's mush easier to book excursions.

We've only done land trips to Hawaii, and although we've enjoyed cruises to other destinations, it doesn't interest us for Hawaii because we don't want the restriction of only being able to be on land from 8-5 or whatever time the ship is in port, and having to deal with picking up/dropping off a rental car in every port. We like to explore on our own, so shore excursions or small group tours aren't of interest.

We stay in condos most of the time and don't find the cost of groceries to be as expensive as mentioned in the post above. Milk can easily be found for $5 a gallon (not $7/qt.) We've never eaten Spam there (nor anywhere) ... and grocery specials can be found at all the major grocery stores, and there is a Costco on each of the 4 main islands. Inter-island flights are usually in the range of $70-$100 pp one way, all taxes/fees incl.

However, you mention wanting to "see everything" .. and if that means that you want to spend time on Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island in a short period of time, then the Pride of America cruise, with a pre and/or post cruise stay might be your best option. (If you wanted to visit all 4 islands on a land trip, it would be best to have at least 3 weeks in total & more would be better.)

Keep in mind that the POA overnights on both Maui and Kauai. You are able to come and go to and from the ship the whole time. You can also park your rental car at the port.

Hilo and Kona are daytime port stops. To be honest, you will not be missing any night life in Hilo because there basically is none. The sidewalks here roll up pretty early. Kona is much the same.

I agree with the others in that the best plan would be to do the POA cruise and do a land add-on at each end...or whatever you can afford. Read these boards and do lots and lots of research to find out which islands would be the best for you and your interests. You can find decent reasonable hotels on all of the islands or do vacation rental houses. Food can be as expensive or as cheap as you want.

Once I realized that the POA does overnight stops I felt a bit better about the idea of a cruise. My thinking was as someone said to treat the ship as a hotel & take advantage of the included food. I was worried about food costs in Hawaii.

It's funny because I asked a similar Q on tripadvisor. All of those folks are telling me how awful cruises are. (I suspect that they have never tried cruising but simply shudder at the idea of 2,500 in one place)

I am thinking some sort of combo trip. It's a 12+ hour flight so I have to make it worth it. :)

There's no doubt that the majority of those on TA love being on the islands 24/7 as opposed to the thoughts of giving up time to being on a cruise ship. But there are a few there who advocate the POA cruise (as I did above) for seeing all 4 main islands in a short period of time.

I wouldn't worry about the cost of food in Hawaii ... there are lots of restaurants that are reasonably priced. Lots that are expensive too, and some take out places that are cheap and delicious.

Whichever way you choose to travel in Hawaii, I'm sure you'll love it ... it's an amazing destination, and an addictive one.:)

I wouldn't worry about the cost of food in Hawaii ... there are lots of restaurants that are reasonably priced. Lots that are expensive too, and some take out places that are cheap and delicious.

QUOTE]

I agree and same with lodging. Even the fast foods have the "dollar" menus. :)

I've stayed at all the Seaside Inns which are very reasonable in price. (I pay more in NYC, all the time. :) Adding to the mix- very reasonable car rental and touring costs. So much of Hawaii is simply- drive up beauty. :)

A combo trip may be a great choice to consider.

I agree with the others who recommend a combo land/cruise vacation. Hawaii is my favourite place in the world and I've been going there for some 30+ years for both extended land stays as well as LA-Hawaii cruises.

If you have a limited, one-time only trip to Hawaii, the cruise will allow you to visit more than one place and the land portion will allow you to savour the laid-back Hawaiian lifestyle. Take as much time as your budget will allow. You won't regret it.

If you can only do LAND or SEA...take the land vacation. You will need more than just a day in each place to really experience the Islands. It takes a good 2 days to adjust to the time change once you get there!

My first time in Hawaii was back in 1990 (before I discovered that I liked cruising) when my old college roomie invited me to take her soon-to-be husband's spot on a tour they've booked. Three islands in nine days and we did managed to see a lot of Oahu (my friend and I went up to the Polynesian Culture center while everyone else on the tour stayed in Honolulu for a dinner at a swanky restaurant), Kauai, and Maui in that time. Yes, we were on a bus, but the tour took care of us, including the inter-island flights and our luggage. Most of our meals were included (a couple of lunches were during free time so my friend skipped those and either hanged by the pool or went shopping instead).

So during that time, got much of my sightseeing done. And without the hassle.

Next time, went with new hubby on our honeymoon. He had done the sightseeing thing on his first time (with his mother, though). We stayed on Poipu Beach and rented a car and went all over. Then we flew to Honolulu and stayed there for the rest of the time but walked everywhere.

Since then, my family have gone on the RTs out of LA to Hawaii. We didn't need to do the massive sightseeing thing (our daughter really isn't into that, but hopefully she'll do a land tour when she's older and can appreciate the places she hasn't seen yet since as Pearl Harbor). We did do a nice tours of the eastern part of the Big Island and on our most recent cruise, we did the Hollywood and Waterfalls tour on Kauai, which the three of us feel was the best excursion we've done on all of our cruises.

So if I wanted to spend time in Hawaii on a future trip, my preference would be a land trip so I can spend time (maybe go to Kona as we haven't been there yet). To me, going on the POA to use as a floating hotel doesn't interest me. When I go on a cruise, it's to experience the ship, which has been my experience on Princess, not necessarily just for using it to sleep on. I'm not fond of flying, so if I'm going to fly to Hawaii, and spending a lot of money for a bed, it might as well be at a nice hotel as we've done before. We're not big eaters nor foodies so grabbing a meal at a diner is fine with us.

If it was my first time to Hawaii, I'd much prefer it to be a land tour. There's so much to see that you can't 'do it all' in short port days. I also agree with not spending the majority of your time on Oahu. Spend 2-3 days there and then go to the other islands; we enjoy them much more than crowded Honolulu.

We cruised to Hawaii (roundtrip) last February, and while we enjoyed the cruise, it's just not the same as being on each island for several days. Doing the NCL cruise where you overnight a couple of times might be better, but that cruise is pretty pricey, to me.

Since we've been there on land tours several times before, the cruise was a nice alternative, but just not the same as having time to see the islands more in-depth. Also, for us, the weather was quite cool and wet, even on the islands, which is the luck of the draw.

Hi Susan-M,

DH and I just tentatively booked a RCL Hawaiian cruise but our hearts would really rather to do a land tour on our own instead. If you are interested in sharing your experiences, I would appreciate corresponding with you. My email is soaring2005 at yahoo dot ca

Thanks a bunch!

Sandy :)

We have done both but much prefer to do land tours. You have to see what your budget allows. Our first trip was a land tour visiting four islands. When we cruised the NCL's Pride of Aloha, we did a 3 day pre and 3 day post stay on Oahu. Since then we choose two islands to visit for a two week stay. Two years ago was Maui and Kauai, this November will be Oahu and Kauai. Whatever you decide, you're going to love Hawai. It truly is a magical paradise.

We are avid travelers and have toured most continents extensively but have never been to Hawaii - we have opted for next summer for 5 days land and then the POA. One of the main reasons is that the island hopping in the days of less airport security and hassle was fine but now I find airports stressful and time consuming.

Cruise ships are winning hands down on this score - walk on and walk off and the overnight stays are a real bonus. Everything you read talks of not a real cruise but a floating hotel......if it means I don't need to unpack every two days too that has to be an added bonus .... Doesn't it.

Each year we do a 4 week adventure and use the cruise for weeks relaxation right at the end - we still explore but no packing, no airports and you cruise at your own pace and style .....trapped on board ? An interesting concept that I truly believe is from people who haven't tried it - by the way POA does not even have a sea day.....so there's no relaxing with a good book enjoying the breeze and the view!! As with everything in life it's a personal preference determined by time and budget. I truly believe the POA has given us the best of both worlds for our trip next year. Good luck in deciding

Caribbeanpuss - we enjoy cruising for many of the reasons that you mention.

Two thoughts though -

...if it means I don't need to unpack every two days too that has to be an added bonus .... Doesn't it.

If you did a land trip to Hawaii, you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) pack and unpack every two days. Each island deserves 5 days or more (and 8 or more on the BI) in order to see the highlights and have time to relax. The overnights on the POA are good on Maui and Kauai, but even then, it limits your time to the point that many people have to leave something off their wish list. e.g. the question is often asked ... "Can I do the RTH and a luau on Maui?" It not possible, even with the overnight on the POA itinerary.

...trapped on board ? An interesting concept that I truly believe is from people who haven't tried it

We are experienced cruisers who aren't keen on sea days. For us 2 sea days in 14 is enough. It's the reason we end up doing many more land vacations than cruises ... e.g. for Asia and South America. However, I think the Med is a great cruise destination, esp. when embarkation and disembarkation ports are different, and the Baltics is another good one (although more sea days than we needed.) POA is great for those with a short amount of time who want to see all of the islands. I know a few couples who have taken this cruise and all enjoyed it, but felt it was a whirlwind. (We like busy vacations, so it would probably work for us, but since our first trip to Hawaii was a land trip, it's how we want to continue vacationing there.)

Agree, it's a personal decision ... and it's great to have choices.:)

Caribbeanpuss - we enjoy cruising for many of the reasons that you mention.

Two thoughts though -

If you did a land trip to Hawaii, you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) pack and unpack every two days. Each island deserves 5 days or more (and 8 or more on the BI) in order to see the highlights and have time to relax. The overnights on the POA are good on Maui and Kauai, but even then, it limits your time to the point that many people have to leave something off their wish list. e.g. the question is often asked ... "Can I do the RTH and a luau on Maui?" It not possible, even with the overnight on the POA itinerary.

QUOTE]

Sorry, but I have easily done the Road to Hana AND a Luau the same day in Maui.

The combo traveling is a great option, to consider. But it's all about choices of the person going and what will fit their priorities the best. No "right/wrong" here, just differences. :)

Sorry, but I have easily done the Road to Hana AND a Luau the same day in Maui.

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have said "not possible" ... but I don't think it's realistic for most people. It was a 12 hour day for us, (but we hiked the Pipiwai Trail, and started/ended in Kaanapali.) Most of the reports that I read from others say that it's a full day, especially if you want to make some stops along the way. Nine hours from the time that you get off the ship until you need to be in Lahaina (or even S. Maui) doesn't leave much time for other than driving....unless you skip Oheo Gulch and only go to Hana, in which case you'd have some extra time.

I can now say I've done both a land trip and a cruise as I just got off the POA. No, it doesn't feel like a Caribbean cruise because it is so port intensive - especially with the overnights on Maui and Kauai. Although they offer shows and other evening entertainment, I didn't see much of it - I found this to be an early to bed/early to rise adventure. But they still offer the same deck parties/barbeques/contests - there's still the same buffet/restaurant options as there are on all the other cruises - the only other thing missing is gambling.

We rented a car on every island and the overnights kept us from feeling rushed to get back. The exceptions were Hilo and Kona- but that is where I took my land vacation, so I already had a good sense of what I wanted to see.

I'd do the cruise again, as it gave me the opportunity to see many different aspects of Hawaii without having to deal with flying island to island and packing/unpacking. I agree with everyone who has suggested combining at least a few days on one island before or after your cruise....myself - I'd add the days afterwards as a chance to relax a bit and unwind before returning home (I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation).

And we too did the Road to Hana (including continuing all the way around the island) seeing everything we wanted to in about six and a half hours. I left both Maui and Kauai believing I'd gotten a good overview of what each had to offer.

Okay, time to weigh in with my 2 cents. The final decision is yours to make. I have lived in Honolulu and have visited all of the islands (even Molokai and Lanai). I have taken the POA cruise and the Princess cruise from LA.

POA: Best itinerary of all the cruise ships because they do overnight in Maui and Kauai. Good for a general overview of a majority of the islands. I am not a fan or NCL, but that shouldn't come into play for your decision. One, if not the only ship that does a sail by of the NaPali Cliffs and lava flow into the ocean (even if it is really far away). No actual cruise experience, more of a floating hotel. You do have to fly to the islands and have at least one overnight stay in Honolulu.

Princess: If you cruise this year from LA....you can experience a terrific Hawaiiana Cultural experience with ELUA (Dave and Leialoha are your cultural ambassadors) from the moment you step on the ship. They, with David Cole (cruise director), developed the program. It is outstanding and worth the 10 sea days to and from the islands. Drawback: Shortened stays on each island. I am very bias towards this cruise. I do not recommend you fly in the same day, but some have.

Land Tour: You will not be able to do all the islands during your stay; even if it were for an extended period of time. You will need to decide your focus (maybe 2 islands plus Honolulu) and really take in all the beauty and culture of each island. At one time, Aloha and Hawaiian Airlines had a pass that was good for one week. I went to Kauai (overnight), Maui (3 days) , Hilo, and Kona (just for the day). These fares are no longer offered. Each flight segment will cost you anywhere from $80-$100 plus hotel costs.

Honolulu is like any big city. My favorites are Molokai, Lanai, and Hilo. These are more true of the old Hawaii. If you go to Molokai, you must stay long enough to visit Kalaupapa where Father Damien worked. The only way you can visit is with a tour. I flew in, but you could hike down/up, or take a mule train. Lanai is paradise. Nothing to do but they do have 2 elegant hotel properties. Pristine and untouched. Hilo is a quaint town. Strange that they do not have any brand name hotels but zillions of Bed and Breakfast establishments from rustic to posh. I could spend a week here and not do everything I want to do. I could give you an expose about Hilo, but I am sure you will do your research. I like this side of the island much better than the Kona side (and I know I am in the minority). Maui (Lahaina) has become too commercial and touristy for me. If you get out of the main cities and visit, there is quite a lot of beauty this place.

I do not know how to sway you one way or the other. If this is a once in a lifetime experience, then you must stretch your budget to cover as much as you can in the time you have. The State of Hawaii is one more the most expensive places to live and visit. But, there are many places to find a bargain. I think Honolulu, if not the state, has the largest ratio of places to eat to people. There are more telephone numbers than people on the island and each family has at least 2-3 cars (except for my daughter and her husband that still carpool).

Whatever you decide, this will be a very memorable visit. Stay safe and alert; there is still crime in the islands.

Budget isn't the issue. DH's ability to take time off is the issue. Even 2 weeks will be pushing it.

My initial reaction to these Qs has me leaning toward a mixed bag. It would be a 2 week land and sea trip.

My tentative plan is fly to Maui on the 1st Saturday. I can get a direct flight from JFK. By the time we land we will have been traveling for over 15 hours so I expect Saturday night will be a bust. We can grab something light to eat & sleep. Then we'd have Sunday - Thursday to explore & maybe take one of those ferries to the smaller island(s). I'm assuming this is a day trip.

Thursday, we'd head to Honolulu & have a Friday night "in the big city." DH likes cities. I like beaches.

Adding a cruise to our trip will will actually make it less "beachy" for him. We don't really care about the on-board activities. We don't gamble so not having a casino is a non-issue.

Saturday we'd board the POA & go on our cruise. At the end of the cruise, I thought we could do something with the luggage (I'm not opposed to renting a car just to have some place safe to put our bags) & go to Pearl Harbor before we head to the AP for our late night red-eye flight home.

Honestly, all I really want to do is go to Pearl Harbor; go to a luau / pig roast with Hula dancers; sit on some beaches / play in the waves; and go to Volcanos National Park.

BTW, how do you go about renting a car from a cruise port? Do you have to schlep to a local AP or are there kiosks near the port?

Budget isn't the issue. DH's ability to take time off is the issue. Even 2 weeks will be pushing it.

My initial reaction to these Qs has me leaning toward a mixed bag. It would be a 2 week land and sea trip.

My tentative plan is fly to Maui on the 1st Saturday. I can get a direct flight from JFK. By the time we land we will have been traveling for over 15 hours so I expect Saturday night will be a bust. We can grab something light to eat & sleep. Then we'd have Sunday - Thursday to explore & maybe take one of those ferries to the smaller island(s). I'm assuming this is a day trip.

Thursday, we'd head to Honolulu & have a Friday night "in the big city." DH likes cities. I like beaches.

Adding a cruise to our trip will will actually make it less "beachy" for him. We don't really care about the on-board activities. We don't gamble so not having a casino is a non-issue.

Saturday we'd board the POA & go on our cruise. At the end of the cruise, I thought we could do something with the luggage (I'm not opposed to renting a car just to have some place safe to put our bags) & go to Pearl Harbor before we head to the AP for our late night red-eye flight home.

Honestly, all I really want to do is go to Pearl Harbor; go to a luau / pig roast with Hula dancers; sit on some beaches / play in the waves; and go to Volcanos National Park.

BTW, how do you go about renting a car from a cruise port? Do you have to schlep to a local AP or are there kiosks near the port?

There is a ferry from Maui to Lanai for the day. Not sure where the pick up is, but the drop off is by Manele Bay. Good place to spend the day at the beach or take the "shuttle" to Lodge at Koele for tea. Both hotels are Four Seasons.

I prefer to rent a car from Enterprise in Hilo Town. Less crowds, no airport fees, easier to navigate. I understand that there is a car rental agency near the Kona Tender Port....know nothing of this. The rest of the ports you will need to pick up a car at the airport. Leaving your luggage in the car is pretty risky. "Opportunists" know exactly which cars are rental ones. If your plans include a trip to Pearl Harbor, be sure to reserve your tickets on line. Maybe you could do this the afternoon your arrive in Honolulu. It will be less crowded than the mornings. Or you could drop off your luggage on embarkation day, go out to Pearl Harbor, then return you car to the airport and be taken back to NCL.

Just a question. Why are you flying into Maui and spending so many days there when the ship will overnight? Why not go to Hilo or Kona?

It must be a relief to see your plans starting to take place. Good luck.

Just a question. Why are you flying into Maui and spending so many days there when the ship will overnight? Why not go to Hilo or Kona?

It must be a relief to see your plans starting to take place. Good luck.

This is still so far out . . . 3+ years. The idea to fly to Maui was just that, an idea. Really, I'm only in the initial stages of dreaming. :)

If you do the split trip, I would spend more time on The Big Island. You want to do Volcanos National Park. If you spend land time on Hawaii, you can do day AND night time there!!! Go Flumin' da Ditch one day (it was really fun!!!). Stay at the Mauna Kea of Hapuna Beach hotels if you want an amazing beach (and good bodysurfing waves!!!). I like both hotels. Go to the luau at the Mauna Kea - smaller than the cruise ship ones and better food.

I'm biased - the Big Island is my favorite spot in Hawaii. I've done so many weeklong trips there over the past 30+ years - it was always our default vacation. I've done a week on Maui, a week on Lanai, a week on Kauai, and 5 nights at Waikiki. I just keep going back to the Big Island....

If you do the split trip, I would spend more time on The Big Island. You want to do Volcanos National Park. If you spend land time on Hawaii, you can do day AND night time there!!! Go Flumin' da Ditch one day (it was really fun!!!). Stay at the Mauna Kea of Hapuna Beach hotels if you want an amazing beach (and good bodysurfing waves!!!). I like both hotels. Go to the luau at the Mauna Kea - smaller than the cruise ship ones and better food.

I'm biased - the Big Island is my favorite spot in Hawaii. I've done so many weeklong trips there over the past 30+ years - it was always our default vacation. I've done a week on Maui, a week on Lanai, a week on Kauai, and 5 nights at Waikiki. I just keep going back to the Big Island....

Dear Trish...You do have a lot of time to plan this trip. Anything can happen between now and three years. Always good to have a dream.

Slidergirl, I agree with you....Best island of the entire chain. It has each climatic zone on earth from Desert to Tundra.

Like_zpscf66f3a6.jpg

Archived