Please Comfort Me!

kpgibbs

I will be cruising to Alaska in August on the Zuiderdam. I will be with my mother who is in her 70's. I will be 47. I have sailed on Princess and RCL. I have been reading CC for a while now and every now and then I see jokes or comments about HAL being an older crowd. I even read one lady say she had never seen so many walkers in her life.

I'm not real active but I'm not subdued either. I like a little bit of action. I am worried that the ship will be very laid back with not many activities. I understand it's not Carnival. But I would like to listen to music or play trivia. After reading the boards, I keep getting the idea that the night life on HAL is non existent. Am I getting the wrong idea?

I also seem to remember someone saying the BB King show will be leaving soon. Does anyone know what will replace it?

Please don't flame me. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

I will be cruising to Alaska in August on the Zuiderdam. I will be with my mother who is in her 70's. I will be 47. I have sailed on Princess and RCL. I have been reading CC for a while now and every now and then I see jokes or comments about HAL being an older crowd. I even read one lady say she had never seen so many walkers in her life.

I'm not real active but I'm not subdued either. I like a little bit of action. I am worried that the ship will be very laid back with not many activities. I understand it's not Carnival. But I would like to listen to music or play trivia. After reading the boards, I keep getting the idea that the night life on HAL is non existent. Am I getting the wrong idea?

I also seem to remember someone saying the BB King show will be leaving soon. Does anyone know what will replace it?

We started cruising HAL at about age 50 and have enjoyed it ever since. There are always enough things going on to keep us busy (trivia is a big one it seems). You will enjoy HAL.

DaveOKC

Cruising Alaska is really about the beauty of Alaska. I think you need to read more comments on this board about HAL ages, activities, and night life. It seems you have picked out only the negative comments. There are lots of positive comments here too.

As for someone saying she had never seen so many walkers - consider that there could have been a group of "mobility challenged" passengers on that cruise. We were on a cruise a couple of years ago where I did notice more walkers, wheelchairs, etc. in the MDR for fixed dining than I had ever seen. Turned out there was a group onboard that cruise attending a Parkinson disease seminar. I'm not saying you won't see some walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters. No matter our age, some of us do have "issues" - but love cruising anyway. Have a great trip to Alaska!

cruised on HAL twice and third to come -- 2nd cruise did an excursion with a newly married couple - 20 something and had a great time -- we were mid 50's at the time and they didn't seem to mind LOL Have never seen a walker and I'm not just saying that. 1st cruise a great friend we made had a motorized wheel chair - and party till well after our 11 oclock meeting for pizza - I wouldn't worry too much.

I even read one lady say she had never seen so many walkers in her life.

Hi there,

Last year, my wife and I enjoyed our first cruise to Alaska with HAL. I'm 39, she's 33. We had a great time, and are returning again this year.

There are people of all ages, and while the nightlife wasn't like spring break, there were definitely people out in the lounges and bars in the evening. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The walker and scooter think doesn't bother me. I understand people have issues. I was just stating what I read. I even read that most cruise ships have a morgue with two freezers. Someone popped off and said HAL has to have 12 freezers. Which I thougt was very rude.

We cruised to Alaska on Princess. It was an "older crowd" for the most part. I had my 15 year old son with me. He did join the teen club. Not near as many kids as there was on RCL. My son will not be with us on this trip.

This trip will be a mostly relaxing trip. We are not planning many exurisions. I just want a little bit of activities. I am a night owl at home, but for whatever reason, when I get on a cruise ship, I am exhausted by 10:00 PM. So I guess I shouldn't be to worried about the night life. :)

Our daughter (now in her early 40's) has cruised with us half a dozen times on HAL in the last 10 years or so. Now she has branched out and is leaving us behind, preferring to cruise on her own - 2 times this year! She has had a ball on HAL, or she wouldn't be doing that!

We started out on HAL in our late 20s. We're... ahem... somewhat older now, roughly your age. We like HAL because of the elegance of the ships, the service, the food, the itineraries, and because we've met a lot of nice people onboard.

We did Alaska a few years ago. We were in our early 40 and traveled with friends of ours who were in their 60s & 70s. Holland America does Alaska extremely well. Our friends were kind of sour on cruising because they had a bad experience on Cunard. (QE2 after the Falklands.)

They liked HAL and loved the Alaska trip. There was plenty to do and see and the ship (Volendam) was just about perfect in terms of "liveliness." I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy your cruise!

The walker and scooter think doesn't bother me. I understand people have issues. I was just stating what I read. I even read that most cruise ships have a morgue with two freezers. Someone popped off and said HAL has to have 12 freezers. Which I thougt was very rude.

We cruised to Alaska on Princess. It was an "older crowd" for the most part. I had my 15 year old son with me. He did join the teen club. Not near as many kids as there was on RCL. My son will not be with us on this trip.

This trip will be a mostly relaxing trip. We are not planning many exurisions. I just want a little bit of activities. I am a night owl at home, but for whatever reason, when I get on a cruise ship, I am exhausted by 10:00 PM. So I guess I shouldn't be to worried about the night life. :)

I am traveling with a friend who along with the daily program assure me there will be plenty to do as long as anyone wants to do it. Personally, I am hoping she finds someone who likes to play trivia, listen to music, play games, shop etc. I am looking forward to being on the deck watching the majesty. I can shop, play, listen, etc any day of the week. But only those 7 days can I witness 1st hand the glory of creation and the beauty of a place I have only dreamed and read about. I may hit a cooking class but y'all can have the rest of it!!!

The length of cruise determines the age more than anything else.

You get 14 or more days on a boat while during the school year, that is when you're going to be in Heaven's waiting room at sea no matter the line.

Have a great time!

Derek

The length of cruise determines the age more than anything else.

You get 14 or more days on a boat while during the school year, that is when you're going to be in Heaven's waiting room at sea no matter the line.

Have a great time!

Derek

"Heaven's waiting room" That made me laugh. Thank you!

HAL is all inclusive. I don't know why people keep having to associate age with the its passengers.

What do you mean "all inclusive" What sets HAL apart from other lines when it comes to all inclusive?

I downloaded a book on my Kindle about crusing. It gave the demegraphics with all lines. It said HAL was an older crowd. That is another reason why I asked the questions.

You are going to be on a cruise ship, with your mom, in Alaska. Everything else is just not that important IMHO :D

Going to Alaska in August, you will likely find a VERY diverse crowd, all ages.

If there is one offered, check out the "Solos and Singles" lunch to meet a variety of people, too.

This is not directed at you, OP, it is a general comment: I think that people who complain about walkers and/or wheelchairs are incredibly insensitive and intolerant. I hope to be able to continue to travel even if I need mobility aids. When I see people using walkers and wheelchairs, they serve as an inspiration to me.

Funny story. I had not done any real research before our first HAL cruise (we were in our 40s) and had sailed on Norwegian and Princess. All I noticed was the elegance of the HAL ships, the gorgeous promenade deck, the wonderful crew, and the overall feeling of ease and calm that made this cruise feel so different and perfect. It wasn't until we were three cruises in that I learned that HAL was for "older people" and that was not from my observation. A TA told me that when I was doing some cruise shopping. Enjoy your cruise. Form your own opinions and take if from there.

I am doing a 12 night Baltic cruise in a few weeks on Eurodam and just yesterday posted in the Solos forum looking for some reassurance that I would meet some FRIENDLY people on my cruise and that there would be a bar that I could visit after dinner for a drink.

The responses that came back both said nothing about the friendliness of the people or whether I would find people to chat to but just commented that at 38 everyone would be much older than me!

Personally I don't particularly care much about age, I care about good company :rolleyes:

I just hope people will be friendly, prepared to chat a little and that I don't feel awkward.

I am doing a 12 night Baltic cruise in a few weeks on Eurodam and just yesterday posted in the Solos forum looking for some reassurance that I would meet some FRIENDLY people on my cruise and that there would be a bar that I could visit after dinner for a drink.

The responses that came back both said nothing about the friendliness of the people or whether I would find people to chat to but just commented that at 38 everyone would be much older than me!

Personally I don't particularly care much about age, I care about good company :rolleyes:

I just hope people will be friendly, prepared to chat a little and that I don't feel awkward.

I started cruising HAL when I was around your age, and I was solo. I met lots of delightful, friendly people who made me feel welcome. I pay that forward on every cruise now, as does my DH. I think you'll be fine.

We sailed on HAL for the first time last year (Alaska on the Westerdam). We were also a bit concerned about the age jokes. Our group consisted of family members ranging from 15 months old to 74 years old, with the majority of the adults in their 30's and 40's, so we wondered if the younger family members would feel out of place.

Turns out that our fellow cruisers mimicked what we've encountered on other cruise lines we've sailed on, like Carnival and Royal. Young, old, families, singles, couples, traveled and not so traveled, polished and sophisticated and some not so much. A little bit of everything.

We had a wonderful time. And as someone said, Alaska will be mostly about what's outside than about what's inside the ship.

And about the nightlife: it's there, but it's definitely more low key. We did go to the night club a few times, although it wasn't very full. We also danced to a live band almost nightly. It seemed like most night owls were drawn to the bars for some cocktails and conversation, with light music on the background. During the day we enjoyed lectures, culinary demonstrations, and just watching the amazing scenery go by (you can't really get enough of that on an Alaska itinerary!)

The main difference that I noticed was the TYPE of entertainment that appealed to the passengers. Let's just say that I don't think that a hairy chest or a hairy legs contest would appeal to the majority of HAL cruisers...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

According to a frequent poster on the forums, who has been a HM on a number of ships/cruise lines, the average age of Princess passenger is one year older than one on HAL. :rolleyes:

I started cruising HAL when I was around your age, and I was solo. I met lots of delightful, friendly people who made me feel welcome. I pay that forward on every cruise now, as does my DH. I think you'll be fine.

Thank you very much, I feel reassured in my decision to cruise with HAL. 28 days to go!!!:D

At risk of sounding a bit "un-PC", I would warn you that the age demographic on HAL does have implications for the nature of your upcoming cruise. As to whether or not it will make your trip less enjoyable, that's really up to you. But there will be a lot of elderly people and their presence does have implications for your experience.

As for my background, I'm in my 50's and extremely active. I run marathons and am an avid outdoorsman. I have cruised extensively on HAL (will become a 5 star Mariner on my next cruise) and have decided that having a lot of older and slower people on board is not a deal killer. However, I am very independent and don't rely on HAL for a constant stream of stimulating activities. I've cruised quite a bit on other lines as well, and if you are looking for a more active on board experience, you may be disappointed.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

HAL offers very few truly active excursions. Their excursions are targeted at people who are older and not very active. For example, if they have a hiking excursion, it might go 1 or 2 miles and at a very, very slow pace. Many of HAL's passengers sign up for active tours and then can barely keep up. They end up cutting short the tour or moving at a glacial pace. For someone who is relatively fit, this can be disappointing. When they offer active excursions, they often get canceled for lack of participation. I can't even count how many times I have received a letter the night before arriving at a port that cancels the excursion I signed up for. I've learned not to rely on HAL any more than necessary for active excursions. If you are looking for group bus rides and slow moving tours, they are fine. If you want something active, you are going to be disappointed. By the way, the Alaska cruises are somewhat better at active tours, but all of this is relative.

You mentioned that you enjoyed listening to music. There is plenty of music available, but it is also targeted at older people. My wife and I enjoy ballroom dancing, and HAL is pretty good for that. But when I listen to music, I enjoy modern and faster tempo music. HAL's idea of rock and roll is Bill Hailey and the Comets. Be prepared for lots of New York, New York and Mack the Knife. If you like that sort of thing, great. But don't hold your breath for anything produced in the last 25 years. The evening shows are Las Vegas/Broadway circa 1960. You might be reminded of your high school musical.

You mentioned that you want to relax, and HAL is great for that. The age demographic on HAL makes things happen slowly-- everything from walking down the hall to going through the line at the Lido. If you are a patient person and not in a hurry for anything, you may not even notice. But you may be surprised at how long it can take some people to get a cup of coffee or choose their dessert at the cafeteria. There have been a few times when I have felt that I have been transported into a retirement home.

So why do I cruise HAL? They have very good itineraries and offer good value. I have gotten used to being around the older folks. It's really up to you to decide if sharing your experience with a lot of elderly people is going to bother you.

^^^????? I'm going on HAL and have signed up for level 3-4 river rafting. Zip lining, and a 9 mile bike ride. there are plenty of excursions for every level of age or fitness. I started cruising on HAL when I was 57 and I feel that it was about the average age of the customers. On Spring Break I was the old one. I love the beauty and elegance of HAL ships. You will be just fine.