Changing planes in Atlanta

Scrapnana

Thanks to those who answered my previous questions. (It seems as I age I stress over things that would not have bothered me 25 years ago!:eek:).

From what I have read on the Atlanta airport's website, there is a new international terminal. Here is what they say....

To reach connecting international flights, passengers follow signs to the Airport’s people mover system, The Plane Train, which connects to the international concourses (E and F).

The cruise line booked me on a codeshare -Delta and Virgin Atlantic - and it is on one ticket.

If you have transferred from a domestic flight to international at ATL will you please answer these.

How much time will it take? I have three hours between planes so I don't think it will be a problem.

Is it clearly marked?

Any tips about making this transition?

Thanks!

Edited by Scrapnana

Thanks to those who answered my previous questions. (It seems as I age I stress over things that would not have bothered me 25 years ago!:eek:).

From what I have read on the Atlanta airport's website, there is a new international terminal. Here is what they say....

To reach connecting international flights, passengers follow signs to the Airport’s people mover system, The Plane Train, which connects to the international concourses (E and F).

The cruise line booked me on a codeshare -Delta and Virgin Atlantic - and it is on one ticket.

If you have transferred from a domestic flight to international at ATL will you please answer these.

How much time will it take? I have three hours between planes so I don't think it will be a problem.

Is it clearly marked?

Thanks!

3 hours will be plenty of time in ATL...actually one of my favorite airports to connect thru (some great places to eat)...easy to navigate with well marked directions...Don't stress out you'll be fine and will probably even have time for a bite to eat too. :)

...new international terminal. Here is what they say....

Is it clearly marked?

I transit ATL all the time, as I primarily fly Delta, and while the airport is huge, it is very easy to transit.

The airport consists of 7 concourses, which in order are T, A, B, C, D, E and F. T is actually the terminal where one checks in for domestic flights, and F is the terminal where one checks in for international flights; however, since you are not checking in at ATL, just changing planes, so don't worry about that.

The concourses are all lined up in a row, parallel to one another. They are connected underground by the plane train. At the center of each concourse there are escalators down to the plane train. At the train level, there are also walkways connecting each concourse if you feel like a bit of exercise. (The only thing that I can't recall with certainty is if you can actually walk between E and F. F is relatively new and I just don't remember if a walkway was added, but it's not really important here.)

The plane train is very efficient and runs frequently, about every minute or so, maybe every minute and a half. It is only 15-20 seconds or so between concourses, and stops for maybe 30 seconds (?) at each concourse, so you can go from one concourse to another very quickly, even if going from one end (T) to the other end (F).

Everything is well marked. When you deplane from your inbound flight there will be monitors immediately inside the gate area, and they monitors will list all connecting flight numbers for pax on your particular flight, and will tell you what gate they are scheduled to depart. Walk a few more feet into the main concourse and you will see signs telling you which direction to head for all the gates in that concourse, as well as which way to head to get to the other concourses if necessary. Just continue to follow the signs for whichever concourse you need to get to, and they will lead you to the escalators/plane train.

In my experience, most domestic flights arrive at A or B, although T and E are used frequently, and even C and D sometimes depending on the aircraft. If your international flight is headed to Europe or some other long haul destination, you will almost certainly depart from E or F. Other international flights, such as to the Caribbean or Mexico, often depart from other concourses.

There are retail shops, food vendors, restrooms in every single concourse, and 3 hours will be PLENTY of time to get where you need to go. In fact, it is enough time that you can actually afford to be picky about where you eat if you plan to do so. (Example: On more than one occasion, I've arrived with 2-3 hours to kill, and despite coming in at B and departing from A, I've headed the opposite direction to E, to enjoy a meal at One Flew South.)

Again, ATL is huge, but well marked, easy to transit, and the plane trains run quickly and very frequently. With 3 hours, you will be fine. :)

(Example: On more than one occasion, I've arrived with 2-3 hours to kill, and despite coming in at B and departing from A, I've headed the opposite direction to E, to enjoy a meal at One Flew South.)

Ditto, with that amount of time I've had I've explored the eating options and picked one of the concourses I wasn't flying in/out of as well with a long time between flights. Just look at a airport map, when there or online.

Scrapnana,

Thank you so much for your help over on the Cunard Forums. My Father and I are leaving on Monday for our cruise from Athens.

As for Atlanta I would allow yourself at least 2-3 hours. There is a Tram that takes you from concourse to concourse. If you have the Delta Credit Card you can use the lounge for $35(a discount off the day pass). The reason I would allow time is due to weather etc.

You could request the cart service offered by the airline as that may cut down your time. If your connection is 1 hour you are cutting it. I have made a domestic-international connection at ATL and did it in 1 hour but it did cut it close.

Also we arrived in Salt Lake City from Paris and customs there was not bad compared to other airports.

Hope this helps.

We were in Atlanta yesterday. We have been in the airport at least a dozen times this year.

The only additional advice I can offer is check your departure gate about 1 1/2 hours before your flight as gate assignments can change.

We have flown to Europe from the T concourse before, and more than once. It was the original international terminal and is still used at peak times.

Our favorite restaurant in concourse E is One Flew South. I love the duck confit and my D H loves the kobi burger. The prices are only a couple of dollars more than the majority of the sit down restaurants in the airport and well worth it.

You have plenty of time in Atlanta so enjoy it and your cruise.

I agree with all the information thus posted. ATL is a favorite of mine as well. The only negative that I have found is if your flight arrives at the far end of a concourse. It is a long walk to the center where the trams are located.

If walking long distances is a concern, consider requesting motorized cart assistance. It is available and used frequently.

I am a little anxious now as one of the flight pairs I'm considering connects in Atlanta. I pretty much assumed that an hour and a half would be fine there, but is that not the case? I would be coming from a domestic U.S. flight and connecting to a flight to Venice.

I am a little anxious now as one of the flight pairs I'm considering connects in Atlanta. I pretty much assumed that an hour and a half would be fine there, but is that not the case? I would be coming from a domestic U.S. flight and connecting to a flight to Venice.

Assuming your inbound flight lands on time and you are able-bodies, you can get to your connecting flight gate in and hour and a half without worry. IF you are seated in the back of plane and it takes you a while to deplane, and IF your first gate is at the far end of a concourse it may take some extra time, so you might not have a lot of extra time to kill, but you should still have plenty of time to stop by the restroom, grab a bottle of water and that type of thing, and then get to your gate. :)

eck your departure gate about 1 1/2 hours before your flight as gate assignments can change.
The easier advice is just to download the Delta app and to sign up for text/mobile alerts for your flight. As a very frequent flyer (over 100,000 miles flown per year) this is my go to advice for anyone. The system will push updates to you much earlier than hoping/assuming a gate agent will make the required announcement.

The easier advice is just to download the Delta app and to sign up for text/mobile alerts for your flight. As a very frequent flyer (over 100,000 miles flown per year) this is my go to advice for anyone. The system will push updates to you much earlier than hoping/assuming a gate agent will make the required announcement.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The concourses are all lined up in a row, parallel to one another. They are connected underground by the plane train. At the center of each concourse there are escalators down to the plane train. At the train level, there are also walkways connecting each concourse if you feel like a bit of exercise. (The only thing that I can't recall with certainty is if you can actually walk between E and F. F is relatively new and I just don't remember if a walkway was added, but it's not really important here.

DEN is arranged the same way, but there are no pedestrian alternatives to the train. This was one of the many design mistakes in the facility....when power fails or the train breaks there is no way for passengers to easily get between concourses. Sounds like ATL received more design review and oversight!

Can't agree more with what everyone has posted. Great airport and easy to navigate... but wouldn't do a connection with less than 1+30. Leaves time to walk and 'explore'.

One thing I did learn early on is... the train plane leaves abruptly, and stops on a dime - make sure you're holding onto something!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have gotten such helpful responses, I have another question (about a different flight). What is the shortest connection time you would feel comfortable with if changing from one Delta flight to another in Atlanta (both domestic flights)?

I have gotten such helpful responses, I have another question (about a different flight). What is the shortest connection time you would feel comfortable with if changing from one Delta flight to another in Atlanta (both domestic flights)?

Personally, I'm fine with an hour at ATL for domestic-domestic connection. That said, I go through ATL all the time and am very familiar with airport, am able-bodied, don't generally get seated in the very back of the aircraft, typically fly from/to destinations where there are frequent flights and have elite level frequent flyer status, so not much risk of not being able to be rebooked if necessary. Many will probably say you need much more time, but for me and the reasons I listed, I'm fine with an hour and have actually transited ATL many times with less than an hour. If I was flying same day for a cruise though, I would want a longer connection.

• 1 month later...

I want to thank those of you who helped me with this. Just as you described, it went very well and I had plenty of time to get lunch in the International Terminal. Everything was signed well and I had no problems navigating the airport.

Coming home I had to change planes in ATL - domestic-domestic. The gate where we arrived was the same one I left from with even the same plane. Piece of cake!