Cabin door decoration

Katng0826

I have 4 friends joining my husband and I on our cruise to mexico Feb 3. This well be their first cruise. I already have a small goodie bag to give each of them once we arrive at our port. I tried to YouTube, pinterest, and good cabin door decorations for ideas... so far nothing great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

243 more long days!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

We had a Colin Kaepernick Fathead up on our door on the Pride last week and it lasted a whole 36 hours. We think the people a couple doors down ripped it down because the Husband and his group were all really pumped about being cops. Kind of sad if it was them going around vandalizing other people's property and breaking rules.

I usually create my own door magnets for family and friends ... try looking in Hobby Lobby or Michaels for ideas and just be crafty. One idea you can buy wooden anchors, paint and decorate them with twine and sea shells.. then add magnets to the back so they adhere to your cabin doors. To make them special, paint or write your cruise date and ship name on them as mementos. If they don't mind their name on it that's an option too [emoji6][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have 4 friends joining my husband and I on our cruise to mexico Feb 3. This well be their first cruise. I already have a small goodie bag to give each of them once we arrive at our port. I tried to YouTube, pinterest, and good cabin door decorations for ideas... so far nothing great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

243 more long days!

If you do a search on Google, you'll find several images posted of cruise ship cabin doors decorated. Although most of them are from Disney cruises, you may still get some ideas. Be sure to go to Carnival's home page, to the "F.A.Q." section, and read what is and is not allowed regarding decorating. Also, not all cabin doors are metal, so magnets may not work. Although it doesn't happen a lot, there have been incidents reported of door decorations being vandalized or stolen. So don't use anything that you can't afford to lose. Dollar Tree, Target, Party City and Hobby Lobby are good places to look for inexpensive items to use. Use Command Strips to hang your decorations. Do not use tape. Be sure to remove all items prior to debarkation. The cabin stewards have enough to do without taking down door decorations.

I have various things in the past such as a map of the itinerary, nautical themed stuff, some people actually take a net

or wrapping paper. I have downsized now to just a glitzy anchor so I can find my cabin. Oh I love tropical fish and party city would have that stuff right now or even the dollar store.

We had a Colin Kaepernick Fathead up on our door on the Pride last week and it lasted a whole 36 hours. We think the people a couple doors down ripped it down because the Husband and his group were all really pumped about being cops. Kind of sad if it was them going around vandalizing other people's property and breaking rules.

I don't want to get overly political here, but since you suspect it was guys who are cops, you're referring to particular political/social motivations as to why it was taken. As a military Veteran, I take offense to that guy's actions and words. I won't get into my reasons, but he also took specific aim at disrespecting police officers. So if it was those cops who took it down, you can bet they were just as offended. Me personally, I wouldn't go as far as tearing down someone's decoration, but not everyone has the same amount of self-control. I'm not defending whomever took it down, just offering a possible explanation. If you knew about the controversy that surrounded the guy, you probably knew there was a chance it would offend someone. On the other hand, it could've just as easily been taken by someone who's a fan of his or the team. Door decorations get stolen all the time, even when it's just miscellaneous homemade creations. So imagine seeing a fancy decoration like a Fathead. Taking someone's door decoration doesn't make sense to me, but some people are just messed up like that, I guess.

I don't want to get overly political here, but since you suspect it was guys who are cops, you're referring to particular political/social motivations as to why it was taken. As a military Veteran, I take offense to that guy's actions and words. I won't get into my reasons, but he also took specific aim at disrespecting police officers. So if it was those cops who took it down, you can bet they were just as offended. Me personally, I wouldn't go as far as tearing down someone's decoration, but not everyone has the same amount of self-control. I'm not defending whomever took it down, just offering a possible explanation. If you knew about the controversy that surrounded the guy, you probably knew there was a chance it would offend someone. On the other hand, it could've just as easily been taken by someone who's a fan of his or the team. Door decorations get stolen all the time, even when it's just miscellaneous homemade creations. So imagine seeing a fancy decoration like a Fathead. Taking someone's door decoration doesn't make sense to me, but some people are just messed up like that, I guess.

Good points!

We typically decorate our door. Usually something different each time. Not sure how good you are with photo editing software, but once I took a image of a porthole (make sure it is not copyrighted) off the net and then put a photo of our cabin inside the porthole so it looked like you were looking in to our cabin. Last time we did a beach theme removable stickers. We like to decorate to make it easier to find our room, especially after a few drinks;p. What I have seen on other doors; a dry erase board where people would leave notes to other they are sailing with, balloons, full door decorations (one sheet that covers the entire door), bows. Be creative and put your own spin on it, show your personality.

Out next cruise is during New Year's Eve, so we will probably go with that theme.

Have a great cruise.

Not sure how good you are with photo editing software, but once I took a image of a porthole (make sure it is not copyrighted) off the net and then put a photo of our cabin inside the porthole so it looked like you were looking in to our cabin.
This is awesome. People could get real creative with it by adding things that make it look like the view is changing. G-rated, of course. ;)

As I said in my previous post, stealing door decorations doesn't make sense to me. And I'm talking about the homemade things, not the store-bought like the Fathead. What would someone seriously want with it? The person who takes it is more than likely staying on that deck, probably in that same hallway. That is, unless they're wandering the ship's halls looking for them, which sounds ridiculous, but who knows. But if it's stolen by someone nearby, it's not like they can then put it on their own door and incriminate themselves. So why, just why?? :mad:

I've never understood the "door decoration" thing...I don't "decorate" my hotel room door, nor would I decorate the cabin door!

I usually don't decor my door nor do I care for it when it's just the hubby and I, but since we have 2 couples joining us and it being their first cruise I thought I would make it special for them. Plus we're sailing on a fun ship, why not make it fun!! It's your personal preference NOT to decor YOUR cabin door! But I'd like to make it special for my friends.

We typically decorate our door. Usually something different each time. Not sure how good you are with photo editing software, but once I took a image of a porthole (make sure it is not copyrighted) off the net and then put a photo of our cabin inside the porthole so it looked like you were looking in to our cabin. Last time we did a beach theme removable stickers. We like to decorate to make it easier to find our room, especially after a few drinks;p. What I have seen on other doors; a dry erase board where people would leave notes to other they are sailing with, balloons, full door decorations (one sheet that covers the entire door), bows. Be creative and put your own spin on it, show your personality.

Out next cruise is during New Year's Eve, so we will probably go with that theme.

Have a great cruise.

Ohhh thank you!!! This is an amazing idea!

We decorated ours on the Breeze, it was just for fun.. we used command strips because I was told not all doors were magnetic, also the say to be sure its fire retardant but I used some butcher paper and put poster board words and party supply cutouts with a nautical theme.. it was our first cruise so I wanted something to remember it by.. also there is a FB page called "Carnival Cruisers....decorate your doors" you can join, the main issue with that is they strongly urge you not to use anything that is not flame retardant but the only thing that really can happen is the cruise line make you remove your decorations if they're not up to their standard so I say just go for it and see what happens lol!!

Thanks for your service. We just wanted to show our support for Colin since he seemed to be blackballed by the league but was having a tryout that week that was about to make or break his career, especially since he is following through on his promise to donate a million to charity regardless of the fact he isn't signed.

I was just really miffed that these guys who protect people's personal rights and property interests would decide to get drunk and take a christmas present my nephew got me with money he shouldn't have been spending on his "uncle stevie". It really broke his heart and mine that some people have no respect for others' points of views or property. I think Colin is a better role model for my DN than those yayhoos who I didn't see sober the whole time. I like to get drunk and rowdy as much as the next guy, but I don't get disrespectful no matter how oiled I get. I don't know for sure it was them who did it, but another person in our hall way said she saw them doing it and I don't have any reason to think she was making stuff up.

Thanks for your service. We just wanted to show our support for Colin since he seemed to be blackballed by the league but was having a tryout that week that was about to make or break his career, especially since he is following through on his promise to donate a million to charity regardless of the fact he isn't signed.

I was just really miffed that these guys who protect people's personal rights and property interests would decide to get drunk and take a christmas present my nephew got me with money he shouldn't have been spending on his "uncle stevie". It really broke his heart and mine that some people have no respect for others' points of views or property. I think Colin is a better role model for my DN than those yayhoos who I didn't see sober the whole time. I like to get drunk and rowdy as much as the next guy, but I don't get disrespectful no matter how oiled I get. I don't know for sure it was them who did it, but another person in our hall way said she saw them doing it and I don't have any reason to think she was making stuff up.

Why are you so sure it was them? He has a following, so why don't you suspect another fan? Door decorations are stolen often. Sounds like you dislike police officers and are placing blame without knowing the facts. I hate to see anyone considered guilty before there is proof.

We had a bunch of USA stuff for Memorial Day. They were all magnetic. Put it up on Saturday and it was gone by Sunday. We went to the desk and they called housekeeping and security. They said they did not take it down. They also must not have cameras in the halls. They said there was nothing they could do. Carnival said they would not take it down unless it was a fire hazard.

I've never understood the "door decoration" thing...I don't "decorate" my hotel room door, nor would I decorate the cabin door!
I've seen this argument before (maybe that was you, I can't remember). For the most part, hotels are just places to stay while you go out and have fun elsewhere. Cruising isn't like most land-based vacations. On a cruise, practically the entire ship is an extension of a fun vacation, to include the "hotel" portion of it. Land-based hotels don't sell room decorations to guests, do they? But on a cruise it's part of the experience, carrying the fun over into one's temporary living quarters.

Thanks isn't necessary, but I appreciate it. I was just bringing that up to emphasize the point that there are people who have done something or are doing something (like military and/or police) that results in his words & actions eliciting strong emotions. Again, not excusing anyone for stealing a door decoration, whether it was out of anger or by a worthless petty thief. Try to think of it this way...you said you don't get disrespectful no matter how much you've had to drink. Well, Colin was disrespectful to a large portion of our population every week, all while stone-cold sober and doing it in front of tens of thousands of live fans and millions sitting at home. Some would argue that his actions & words were much more hurtful and disrespectful than making off with a wall decoration. I feel for your nephew that he had to experience that, though. That is truly a shame. Some of the gifts I cherish most are things others might consider cheap junk, but were things my son picked out & bought himself. On a lighter note, my boy has a Fathead in his room of Gravedigger (monster truck). Those things are pretty cool. Only problem is, he was a huge fan for years as a younger kid, but he's 16 now and doesn't necessarily want it anymore, so now I need to find a way to get it down and store it without tearing it up.

Why are you so sure it was them? He has a following, so why don't you suspect another fan? Door decorations are stolen often. Sounds like you dislike police officers and are placing blame without knowing the facts. I hate to see anyone considered guilty before there is proof.

Give me a break man, I love our police and military folks and other similar people like TSA and Customs Agents. I wouldn't want their jobs and they protect us from ISIS and other bad stuff. It's just sad that a few really bad apples like I assume these guys are give the rest of them a bad name. Just like athletes, kids look up to cops so I think it's ok to hold them to a higher standard of conduct even when off duty.

I'm a professor (among other things). I would hope a person doesn't hate all of us because some bad apple psych prof had sex with his freshman student.

lol. You are cracking me up. Why would you put anything having to do with Colin Kapernick on your door? Obviously you were trying to get a reaction from people. A Carnival employee probably took it down. I seriously doubt you are supposed to put controversial things on your door. You might want to rethink calling him a roll model.

We decorated ours on the Breeze, it was just for fun.. we used command strips because I was told not all doors were magnetic, also the say to be sure its fire retardant but I used some butcher paper and put poster board words and party supply cutouts with a nautical theme.. it was our first cruise so I wanted something to remember it by.. also there is a FB page called "Carnival Cruisers....decorate your doors" you can join, the main issue with that is they strongly urge you not to use anything that is not flame retardant but the only thing that really can happen is the cruise line make you remove your decorations if they're not up to their standard so I say just go for it and see what happens lol!!

Thank you! I'll have to check it out!

lol. You are cracking me up. Why would you put anything having to do with Colin Kapernick on your door? Obviously you were trying to get a reaction from people. A Carnival employee probably took it down. I seriously doubt you are supposed to put controversial things on your door. You might want to rethink calling him a roll model.

Well, I didn't call him a "roll model", dude is in excellent shape:'). We're an ACLU family, my great-uncle fought against a great many injustices in his day protecting our Bill of Rights in the courts which our military also fights for. Just because I don't agree with something, I don't think people shouldn't be able to say it, that's what America is about. The opposite is an ISIS way of looking at things.

Carnival allowed a bunch of snowflakes like you to have their Hillary and Bernie signs up (after the election no less). Did I get drunk and rip them down? Hell no because I love free speech even more than I loved our President Elect. Didn't feel the need to defend some honor of our leader from the rabble rousers. I just wish other people could be as respectful and tolerant.