Can I take my own luggage on board ?

The Other Tom

Just make sure you can lift your bags without any assistance. You have to place them on the conveyor belt to go through the x-ray and they have to fit through it completely.

Nothing's worse than being anxious to get onboard, only to be held up by people bringing their own bags aboard who can't lift them up and down from the x-ray machine. :cool:

I don't want to drop my luggage with Princess and prefer to take it on board with me. Are there any issues with this ? My luggage consists of a classic "roller board" type suitcase that can be taken onboard an airline.

If it fits in the scanner.

I bring two of carry on onboard. The fit through the scanner fine. What I do to get through fast is

I carry on NO other bags but the two carry on. No pocket book, I don't wear any jewelry to make the scanner go off. No change or anything in my pockets. Cell phone and cameras in hand, to be put through the scanner.

I get through much faster then some other people who have a carry on, change in pockets, handbags etc. When I get to my cabin I can unpack as soon as I put the case on the bed. We also carry off to get a early start on the road.

You can bring your own bag onboard. Be advised, though, that there are some moderately steep ramps leading into the ship, and often the line of passengers will stop with you on a steep section. Maintaining your own balance and preventing your case from rolling backwards can be challenging.

I always bring one carry-on roller bag with me containing all my cruise "valuables" - meds, electronics, etc. which can become fairly heavy.

I also do that all the time. It is easy and saves time so that I can enjoy the holiday without waiting for luggage to arrive. As soon as I board I clean the entire cabin with antibacterial wipes, unpack and am ready to enjoy my cruise. I also do not repack until after the final meal on the last night and walk off with my own luggage at my own leisure. I waste time for no one. If we have to do immigration inspections on the ship I never queue up and simply wait for the staff to make announcements to remind those who have not yet been (well before they start naming names) and then I can walk straight to the front.

• Like 1

I will add to all the people who have carried on luggage. Everyone has a reason for doing what they do, in most cases. We carry on for the following reason: Generally, before we get on a ship, we have been "on the road" for at least a week. Half of everything is in serious need of laundering. "Yes". We are elite, but that service is not for us at that time. Our process, if we need it, is to hit the self serve laundry as soon as we get on the ship. The laundry is, usually, empty and we can take advantage of this time to get our clothes ready for round two. Carry-on allows us this flexibility. I agree with all who say it needs to fit through the scanner; and you need to be able to manage it without interrupting others.