Wanting to book Anthem but Quantum reviews are stopping us.

kevinyork

We want to book Anthem ex Southampton this Autumn. However the reviews for Quantum are so variable. 44% overall on this site and they sway from 5 star to 1 star. Weve had great cruises on Indy and Adventure previously. Weve cruised on the Eclipse that gets 90% and discounted MSC at 60% so Anthem feels like a risk. Should we wait a year till RCI sort out the Quantum class issues!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Understand your fustration - my response to your question is here (link to revieew)

The positive stories about Quantum of the Seas are a bit rare on Cruise Critic. If not everything is as usual, it's not good!

Quantum of the Seas is a gift to us being positive about trying something new and exciting based on today's technology.

But oppinions are very mixed - My recommendation - Try Anthem.

"Issues" on the Quantum are being reported to the Anthem.

I don't think that I would book the first few cruises because everything new tends to need tweaking. However I would (and have already) book cruises a month or two out.

We did a Back2Back (December) on the Quantum and loved everything about the Quantum and had no real issues. From what I've read on CC and discussed on board most of the issues were about the lack of Traditional Dining. That will be corrected on the Anthem by providing a second choice called "Classic" which will be more like Traditional.

The other big issue was technology related…hopefully that will have been corrected during the Anthem building process. We had a couple of glitches but nothing major….exampel: on day two the Bionic Bar told us that we didn't exist. We laughed and came back the next day and we did exist.:D

We were on the 2/2 sail and had a ball. We enjoyed DD immensely and felt each evening as a special occasion when dining in the various restaurants and its associated decors. Would book again in a heartbeat. The only problem for us is that while we are only 45 minutes away, because we cruise in February we lose 4 days to cooler weather. However, we wanted to try this new techy ship and also this 11 nite cruise cost us the same as a 7 niter and still got 7 days of needed warm weather.

There's a lot of plusses:

More closet and draw space

Larger showers in cabins

Larger HD TV over the bed (bed was by sliding doors) than other ships

Better quality of food in restaurants

WOW or wrist band, simply genius.

2x70

IFLY

North star

Seaplex

Best entertainment of all cruises taken

Dinner selection in WJ, better than other ships

The Via and Esplanade, not as large as the promenades, but very impressive

Fast internet

A large library with many books. On other ships, the library is almost non -existence

For us, some of the downside was:

The creaking noise in our cabin on the first 2 and last 2 nights of the cruise

Drafty sliding balcony doors and whistling in the Solarium even though the sliding windows were closed.

Elevators that seemed to have a mind of their own.

Wait service at both complementary and specialty restaurant was spotty

The biggest negative that I kept hearing was the required dining & entertainment reservations and the inability to eat and mingle with the same diners and waiters.

We adored Quantum and fell in love with the ship after the first ten minutes aboard. We really enjoyed Dynamic Dining. The ship is absolutely gorgeous and we can't wait to experience Anthem next February. Also intrigued by the new rotational dining to be featured on Anthem. You will love Quantum Class, book your Anthem cruise and never look back.

Jonathan

BOOK IT! Just got off the Quantum two weeks ago and it was the best cruise we've ever been on. Being on the Quantum is like staying at the nicest hotel you've ever been to and you will not be disappointed. I don't think we'll ever be able to go on an older ship (even the Oasis or Allure) after going on the Quantum.

Most of the people complaining about the dining were older people who apparently don't like change. Grown adults crying like children because they had to wait in line for 10 minutes for dinner at the Grande. Ummm.. you're on the nicest cruise ship in the world and you're complaining because you have to wait in line for 10 minutes? Get over it and quit complaining.

Edited by johnbrian2

Wow thanks all for your comments! I have a hold on a cabin! Can I ask, the deal includes the basic drinks package that covers a few beers, wines, soft drinks and non alcoholic cocktails. Can I pay the extra time onboard to upgrade to get more choice!

Wow thanks all for your comments! I have a hold on a cabin! Can I ask, the deal includes the basic drinks package that covers a few beers, wines, soft drinks and non alcoholic cocktails. Can I pay the extra time onboard to upgrade to get more choice!

Yes you can. The simple answer is always Yes if you are wanting to pay more money for extra.

We want to book Anthem ex Southampton this Autumn. However the reviews for Quantum are so variable. 44% overall on this site and they sway from 5 star to 1 star. Weve had great cruises on Indy and Adventure previously. Weve cruised on the Eclipse that gets 90% and discounted MSC at 60% so Anthem feels like a risk. Should we wait a year till RCI sort out the Quantum class issues!

Actually, I have seen the reviews improve. We are sailing on the Quantum in two weeks and also have booked the Anthem for next spring. If we are disappointed with the Quantum we will go back to either the Celebrity Solstice class ships and stick to the Allure and Oasis which are also wonderful ships. I also would not go on MSC.

We also booked the NCL Breakaway for a Bermuda summer cruise. We have never sailed on NCL previously. It has relatively good reviews and people I know who have sailed on the NCL Breakaway enjoyed the ship. Why not give it a try.

A break from the Summit which we have sailed on four times to Bermuda.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with the positive comments above. We were on the 12/2/14 Quantum cruise and loved it. We missed some aspects of MDR dining but we also enjoyed the different venues for,dining and met some very nice people who either sat at our table or next to us.

If you're a regimented person who doesn't like change and can't tolerate a glitch in your plans every once in a while, don't book it.

If you enjoy trying new things and can adjust to unexpected changes in plans, then book by all means.

In any case, just as we have had to do on some past cruises on "normal" ships, just go with the flow and don't let those who only do things to find out what to complain about destroy your experience.

The worst part of Quantum is the cold weather up and back and the boring ports. Also if you sail when the kids are out of school the ship is mobbed particularly on cold days.

The cruise Ive got a hold on is during school time so that sounds like a bonus.

I talked to Joff onboard, I can not wait to see him pull off what he wants. You say you've sailed the Indy, do you like Joff? I personally loved my cruise with him and consider him to be my favorite. If you like Joff book the Anthem, he is fully in on this ship and is doing things his way so I believe it will be incredible.

I talked to Joff onboard, I can not wait to see him pull off what he wants. You say you've sailed the Indy, do you like Joff? I personally loved my cruise with him and consider him to be my favorite. If you like Joff book the Anthem, he is fully in on this ship and is doing things his way so I believe it will be incredible.

We had Graham Seymour (excellent) on Indy and Flo (also superb) on Adventure. Both were excellent.

Not sure Joff will still be there for our Sep cruise.

The worst part of Quantum is the cold weather up and back and the boring ports. Also if you sail when the kids are out of school the ship is mobbed particularly on cold days.

I agree with the cold weather. We usually sail in February from San Juan or FL, however with the 11 nite cruise we still got 7 glorious days and visited the usual ports.

I'm going with very low expectations :D

It took me months of trying to decide between Celebrity Eclipse and Anthem -- Bilbao and one day less at sea clinched the deal :)

I see that you've already been on Eclipse on the Canaries itinerary... So give Anthem a try too !!

I'm not keen on making reservations for dining.

Our online TA always gives us free grats, so we're going My Time Dining and enjoy deciding in the last moment at what hour we want to dine. On the Equinox last year we enjoyed the Glass Show so much, we skipped diner twice.

Let's hope that by the time you/we board Anthem, all the glitches reported by those who've sailed the Quantum till now will be over :(

It took me months of trying to decide between Celebrity Eclipse and Anthem -- Bilbao and one day less at sea clinched the deal :)

I see that you've already been on Eclipse on the Canaries itinerary... So give Anthem a try too !!

Our online TA always gives us free grats, so we're going My Time Dining and enjoy deciding in the last moment at what hour we want to dine. On the Equinox last year we enjoyed the Glass Show so much, we skipped diner twice.

Let's hope that by the time you/we board Anthem, all the glitches reported by those who've sailed the Quantum till now will be over :(

We are booked! 28th Sep. We went for a 50% obstructed balcony as it was only £40pp more than an inside cabin and £400pp less than a non obstructed one.

Dani, Im a bit confused re your menu of My Time Dining as I thought it didnt exist on Quantum/Anthem which have Dynamic Dining (plus the new rotational club dining coming to Anthem).

We are booked! 28th Sep.

Dani, Im a bit confused re your menu of My Time Dining as I thought it didnt exist on Quantum/Anthem which have Dynamic Dining (plus the new rotational club dining coming to Anthem).

Congrats, kevinyork, Turns out we'll be on the same cruise. We have a very small roll call, pls. join.

About My Time Dining -- it was just a figure of speech -- meaning, we like to "play it by the ear", enjoyed the flexibility in past cruises, and didn't make any reservations ahead of time, which is the case with Dynamic Dining. That's what I don't like about it, and I'm going with very low expectations (but, I've already made reservations for all 13 nights just to be on the safe side).

I am also hopeful that all will be spectacular on the Quantum and her babysister the Anthem! We have also sailed on many celebrity solstice class ships- but unlike you, no longer go to the glass show. We find that the seating is so uncomfortable-for the over 50's crowd and those with bad backs- that we now skip it. Cannot sit for two hours on stadium style bleachers. Guess that is what makes the world go round! Different activities for different people.

Enjoy your cruise(s)!

Congrats, kevinyork, Turns out we'll be on the same cruise. We have a very small roll call, pls. join.

About My Time Dining -- it was just a figure of speech -- meaning, we like to "play it by the ear", enjoyed the flexibility in past cruises, and didn't make any reservations ahead of time, which is the case with Dynamic Dining. That's what I don't like about it, and I'm going with very low expectations (but, I've already made reservations for all 13 nights just to be on the safe side).

Ah, ok. We will subsribe to the roll call too. Hope to see you onboard.