Quest Bridge Hit by Lightning?

jenidallas

According to http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/index/itineraries/all/shipid:373428/mmsi:311038900/shipname:SEABOURN%20QUEST

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/shipid:373428/mmsi:311038900/imo:9483126/vessel:SEABOURN_QUEST

shows the Quest is currently in PUERTO MADRYN, Argentina. Status: anchored. Status as per 5 minutes ago.

Definitely not part of scheduled itinerary!

Would normally not be too much to worry about if planes are anything to go by. We were on a 747 which was hit by lightning on approach to Cape Town and after landing with no fuss captain said it was fairly common but plane would be checked over. Ships could be completely different but I stand to be corrected!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Believe Quest's Bridge is a little different from the carbon-fibre make up of modern aircraft.

It may well be that a significant amount of navigational equipment including Sat -Coms have been "fried" . If so it may well be a major repair job. I am not familiar with Puerto Madryn but most likely a secondary port requiring repair technicians and parts to be sourced and flown in . This hopefully is the worst case scenario.

Best wishes to all on board especially those on the bridge at the time of the "strike" and hopefully no injuries.

If Sat-Coms are down this might explain lack of reports from those aboard.

Believe Quest's Bridge is a little different from the carbon-fibre make up of modern aircraft.

It may well be that a significant amount of navigational equipment including Sat -Coms have been "fried" . If so it may well be a major repair job. I am not familiar with Puerto Madryn but most likely a secondary port requiring repair technicians and parts to be sourced and flown in . This hopefully is the worst case scenario.

Best wishes to all on board especially those on the bridge at the time of the "strike" and hopefully no injuries.

If Sat-Coms are down this might explain lack of reports from those aboard.

Thanks for the insight jfphpi. I echo your good wishes.

ONBOARD QUEST alongside Porto Madryn

News Just In.

According to a reliable informant, the problem was a blown circuit in a board for the power to the Gyro-Compasses, which shut the main power off, so the unit automatically switched to back-up battery power WITHOUT sounding any alarms or flashing lights ???

After 24 hours the back-up batteries went flat and that was when they became aware of the situation!

The fault may have be caused by the violent (and spectacular) electrical storm that we had as we sailed away from Montevideo on Sunday evening.

A courier is bringing a new board from Italy and is due to arrive today.

Why the part could not have been flown to Stanley in the Falkland Islands where we were due today, Wednesday, I do not know.

(We missed the King Penguins, our main reason for this trip, Antarctica was only secondary, Mrs SKP is NOT HAPPY)

More on the storm, we sat at the Patio Grill and watched the storm overtaking us from astern as we sailed SSE from Montevideo on Sunday evening.

Almost continuous lightening for over an hour, then it struck, with heavy rain and a violent wind "downburst" that blew our cutlery off the table and blew half the lounges at the rear of Seabourn Square overboard !! (True, and they have not been replaced)

ONBOARD QUEST alongside Porto Madryn

News Just In.

According to a reliable informant, the problem was a blown circuit in a board for the power to the Gyro-Compasses, which shut the main power off, so the unit automatically switched to back-up battery power WITHOUT sounding any alarms or flashing lights ???

After 24 hours the back-up batteries went flat and that was when they became aware of the situation!

The fault may have be caused by the violent (and spectacular) electrical storm that we had as we sailed away from Montevideo on Sunday evening.

A courier is bringing a new board from Italy and is due to arrive today.

Why the part could not have been flown to Stanley in the Falkland Islands where we were due today, Wednesday, I do not know.

(We missed the King Penguins, our main reason for this trip, Antarctica was only secondary, Mrs SKP is NOT HAPPY)

More on the storm, we sat at the Patio Grill and watched the storm overtaking us from astern as we sailed SSE from Montevideo on Sunday evening.

Almost continuous lightening for over an hour, then it struck, with heavy rain and a violent wind "downburst" that blew our cutlery off the table and blew half the lounges at the rear of Seabourn Square overboard !! (True, and they have not been replaced)

On a positive note, puerto madryn is a geeat place to see southern elephant seals, a short trip away.

Skp946,

Who are the captain and staff captain?

What a crazy situation but one that the ship must be prepared for since these things can happen. I find it hard to believe that a backup system kicks in and no one knows until it peters out.

I look forward to learning more and, of course, a speedy and smooth resolution!

Happy sailing (eventually)!

SKP946,

I am sorry your wife is so upset at missing the King penguins since it was the main reason for taking the cruise. But one should NEVER take a cruise based on landing in the Falkland islands since more than half the time ships are unable to do so because of seas and the weather. This was the case when we were there on the Sojourn two years ago. I hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Onboard Seabourn Quest, Great News

Departing Puerto Madryn now @ 1545 (local) for PORT STANLEY, FALKLAND ISLANDS.

Then onto to Antarctica, where dependent on the weather, we hope to spend our allotted 6 days.

So the powers that be have made us all very happy !

Apparently one of our pax had arranged a RAF flyover of Quest on the 3/12, I hope that will still occur !

However we will probably miss a couple of the Chilean ports near the end of our cruise.

Full points to Seabourn for looking after us.

Note for Wripro, I am fully aware of that, however seeing the "Kings"was my "persuader" Mrs SKP hates the cold ( me, I swim in the sea in Melbourne all year)

Onboard Seabourn Quest, Great News

Departing Puerto Madryn now @ 1545 (local) for PORT STANLEY, FALKLAND ISLANDS.

Then onto to Antarctica, where dependent on the weather, we hope to spend our allotted 6 days.

So the powers that be have made us all very happy !

Apparently one of our pax had arranged a RAF flyover of Quest on the 3/12, I hope that will still occur !

However we will probably miss a couple of the Chilean ports near the end of our cruise.

Full points to Seabourn for looking after us.

Note for Wripro, I am fully aware of that, however seeing the "Kings"was my "persuader" Mrs SKP hates the cold ( me, I swim in the sea in Melbourne all year)

Congratulations for getting back on track.

We were 'buzzed' by a couple of RAF Typhoons as we left Stanley. It was absolutely thrilling (unless you are an Argentine naval ship :D ). I was told that they do this regularly 1) to get the word out that they are there and 2) because it is fun.

Missing Chilean ports is not a disaster. There is very little in Chacabuco while both Castro and Punta Arenas have limited interest.

I hope you manage to get into Stanley (crossed fingers for the weather). I really enjoyed my day there both in terms of the tour I took as well as wandering around the town, chatting to some of the locals and grabbing a beer in The Globe.

Skp946,

Who are the captain and staff captain?

What a crazy situation but one that the ship must be prepared for since these things can happen. I find it hard to believe that a backup system kicks in and no one knows until it peters out.

I look forward to learning more and, of course, a speedy and smooth resolution!

Happy sailing (eventually)!

Thank you Markham,

I drive a Landrover Discovery 3, so I can fully understand how a tiny electrical fault can create a major problem !

To answer your question,

Captain in Charge: Bjarne Larson

Staff Captain: Krasimir Radev

Chief Engineer: Pekka Piispa

Hotel Director: Philipp Reutener

Cruise Director: David E. Green

Expedition Leader: Robin West

Guest Services Manager: Richard Lucas

Plus Captain Magnus and Giovanni Biasutti (Ice Captain)

A lot of familiar faces amongst the staff,

Big Damir whose head used to scrape the ceiling on Pride is with us.

Sebastian is the Sommelier

We last sailed on Quest 2 years ago, and a lot of the staff are still here.

So we have an excellent team (as always) looking after us

Who's the ACD?

The assistant CD is Judy ?

We have a 17 strong Expedition Team on board led by Robin West.

A great team of Girls &Guys, all experts in their many respective fields, from Geology to Photography to Whales, Seals, Penguins, Plants, Snow, Ice and the list goes on, all willing to patiently impart their knowledge.

They are stationed around the ship with 2 way radios so we receive instant direction reports as soon as anything of interest is sighted.

Most of the pax seem more friendly than on a normal Seabourn cruise and strangers are quickly becoming friends with a shared interest in our adventures.

I think that the "Setback" with the Puerto Madryn Saga, and Seabourn's handling of the situation has also strengthened the bond between pax and staff.

Our heading is 185 (almost due south) making 18+ knots crossing Drake Passage, heading for Half Moon Island with 221nm to go.

We have covered 455nm in 24 hours since leaving Port Stanley.

Air Temp is 4c/39f, wind 25 knots (6 Beaufort ) from the NE, Quest has a pleasant gentle roll. Sea depth 3780m

We were one of the few to eat lunch "out" at the Patio Grill (4c and light rain) the deck was a little slippery (icy).

We are having wonderful lectures on a variety of topics related to the area, plus a lot of info. to absorb re. Zodiacs and landings,

We are 5 colour groups for landings as we have 420 pax onboard.

The pax book is not yet out, but we are a wonderful mix of nationalities.

The forecast for tomorrow is light snow.

Just announced our first iceberg is 15 km away !!!