Is MSC worth it?

vnyislesv

Luckily I live in South Florida and can be in Fort Lauderdale within 15 minutes and 30+ to Miami. (HATEEEEEE Fort Lauderdale Port)

I'm looking for 1-2 cruises for 2016 and MSC Divina keeps popping up as the absolute cheapest compared to what you get.

I want to go on NCL Escape but for $1000/pp vs $500pp on the Divina, is it worth it? Its literally 2x the price for the same sail date 5/7/16.

MSC on first glance seems like they're trying, hard, to make an impact in the US, but are they there yet? The boats are beautiful but is the vibe as fun as NCL or Carnival? On a review, they had 1 water slide and literally glanced over it like 'HEY, WE HAVE A SLIDE TOO HERE IT IS!! (but we arent proud of it!!)'. Thats how it seemed.

They also gave no discount to 3rd n 4th in the cabin which was a little weird to me too.

...hmm

MSC is IMHO completely different from other cruise lines operating out of USA. They have a very European/Italian feel which a lot of North Americans cannot adapt to.

Be aware of this and "go with the flow" and you will have an excellent value holiday (vacation).

Stump up for extras like the Aurea Experience or the Yacht Club and you will never want cruise with another company.

Depends what you are looking for.

i like good food, friendly staff, fun games/activities, lots and lots of ladies/alcohol (i bring my own alcohol). a club or two for late night fun. overall a fun solid vibe. i just feel like the whole 'euro' thing i keep hearing about is quiet and while relaxing, not really what im looking for? maybe im looking too much into it?

im pretty simple.

Stump up for extras like the Aurea Experience or the Yacht Club and you will never want cruise with another company.

All the Aurea cabins are located at the front of the ship, right? Not my favorite location. Is there anything about those balcony cabins that set them apart from the others?

All the Aurea cabins are located at the front of the ship, right? Not my favorite location. Is there anything about those balcony cabins that set them apart from the others?

Yes the Aurea balcony cabins are not under the dreaded deck 14 overhang and the Aurea suites were formerly executive suites but have since been downgraded.

If you remember that the YC occupies most the front of the ship you will realise that it is a desirable part of the ship.

It is perceived that a high deck in the forward or aft part of the ship gets the most movement, Which is correct in theory. but Divina is so large and well stabilised that movement was minimal in my experience of the YC on Divina. The only drawback was the distant from the YC to its dedicated dining room at the rear of the ship

We were just on Celebrity Reflection in a balcony at the front of the ship. We've been in the front before, but in this case we were on Deck 6, which is low. In order to get to Puerto Rico the Captain has to really go fast, we were on the port side, the wind was coming from the North East, so for the first two nights it wasn't the movement that kept me awake, it was the noise of the waves hitting the hull. This was not a pleasant sound. It was a crashing metallic sound.

With the Aurea balconies located higher, this would probably not be a problem. Again, like I said, it's not movement that concerns me.

We had a suite on a NCL ship that did not have a balcony. Since we like to sit in the forward lounges during the day, we thought we would not miss having a balcony. However, we did.

I realize the Aurea experience (balcony not YC) is new. I'll be looking for reviews and feedback of that experience before I book. Haven't seen any here on CC, unless I've missed it. If I have, can someone provide a link?

We were just on Celebrity Reflection in a balcony at the front of the ship. We've been in the front before, but in this case we were on Deck 6, which is low. In order to get to Puerto Rico the Captain has to really go fast, we were on the port side, the wind was coming from the North East, so for the first two nights it wasn't the movement that kept me awake, it was the noise of the waves hitting the hull. This was not a pleasant sound. It was a crashing metallic sound.

With the Aurea balconies located higher, this would probably not be a problem. Again, like I said, it's not movement that concerns me.

We had a suite on a NCL ship that did not have a balcony. Since we like to sit in the forward lounges during the day, we thought we would not miss having a balcony. However, we did.

I realize the Aurea experience (balcony not YC) is new. I'll be looking for reviews and feedback of that experience before I book. Haven't seen any here on CC, unless I've missed it. If I have, can someone provide a link?

The Aurea experience doesn't apply to the YCF which a higher experience altogether. The most beneficial thing is the Allegrissimo package that comes with it, for my 2 B2B cruses in march/april next year the total price of a fantstica balcony plus an Allegrisimo package was more than the cost of a Aurea balcony. so on that basis it was worth upgrading.

I think that 4 other benefits were worth having

1) priority boarding using a dedicated aurea set of desks, and it also means your luggage gets priority. ours was delivered with 20 mins of arriving at the terminal. On arrival we were met by an MSC agent who put special tags on our luggage and it duly arrived at our cabin 5 min after us.

2) My time dining which I have mentioned in post#6 in the thread below

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2283695

3)

The free "BALI MASSAGE" which was really nice, I've never bothered with the spa before but will certainly be going for my treatments on the 2 B2B cruises.

4) Use of a reserved area of either on a sun deck or the TOP 18 area depending on which ship you are on.

Here is a link to my review of an Aurea Suite on Sinfonia

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=9372

Pete

i like good food, friendly staff, fun games/activities, lots and lots of ladies/alcohol (i bring my own alcohol). a club or two for late night fun. overall a fun solid vibe. i just feel like the whole 'euro' thing i keep hearing about is quiet and while relaxing, not really what im looking for? maybe im looking too much into it?

im pretty simple.

I would say MSC is not as lively as some other cruise lines due to the mix of nationalities and languages. The vibe is definitely European in terms of cuisine and ambience which is why it is less popular with US travellers.

On the DIVINA is the Sun Deck (reserved for Aurea) all sun, or is there some shade?

When I was on board (Oct 2012 in the Med, there were wicker pods on the Top18 , if you could get one, anyway here is what the area looked like then. The image certainly shows some shade as well as the pods.

P1030304-001.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thank you.

To be honest, those lounge chairs don't look very inviting at all. They look the same as the chairs that are probably around the main pool area.

It appears that the area reserved for the Aurea balconies just has less people. Not nicer lounge chairs. And a hot tub (which I didn't see in the picture).

MSC is nothing like Carnival. If that is what your use to then you might not want to chance it unless you are open to something different. There are clubs and bars & the drink packages are really great compared to other cruise lines. It is not super over the top party like Carnival. For the exceptional experience there is Yacht Club which no other ship has.

MSC is nothing like Carnival. If that is what your use to then you might not want to chance it unless you are open to something different. There are clubs and bars & the drink packages are really great compared to other cruise lines. It is not super over the top party like Carnival. For the exceptional experience there is Yacht Club which no other ship has.

I don't really understand the whole 'euro' thing people talk about. I have no issues with different, my issue is the overall vibe. Is MSC a similar version of Holland America where they cater to those in need of peace and quiet before they die?

I don't really understand the whole 'euro' thing people talk about. I have no issues with different, my issue is the overall vibe. Is MSC a similar version of Holland America where they cater to those in need of peace and quiet before they die?

Have cruised with both and most recently on the Preziosa last month in the Med. MSC are nothing like HAL. The entertainment is far superior, the average age of the pax probably about 20-30 years below HAL. The ships, especially the Fantasia Class are stunning inside.

The fun never stops on MSC. The entertainment group are with passengers from morning until dinner and then post dinner to the late evenings.

They play games, trivia, dance lessons, line dancing, aerobics, arts and crafts, multi media games... The nightclub is alive since there are so many Europeans who love to dance! The ship is full of things to do.

The European style is more laid back in terms of service. The bar staff do not hound you all day for a drink order. You have to signal them or go get it.

There are a lot of non-americans and at times this has been an issue. They have caused many issues. They do not yield while walking ..they expect you to move aside for them. They do not listen to NO SMOKING signs, and you have to point it out to their hand gestures. They talk while others are watching an outdoor movie thinking we do not need to be quiet for those English speaking people. I have found many to be rude and yes very difficult to deal with. MSC staff is trying to help in this matter.

Other than that, the shows are great. The ships are beautiful and the food we have found no fault with.

MSC is still our favorite cruise line because of the differences.But that said, the staff all need to implement rules and hold the abusers accountable.

If you can do Yacht Club, that is the best. You have your own dining, pool, sun area. You have drinks included if you get them in the designated area. You have an elevator that only allows YC people to enter via your sea pass card...express from anywhere to the YC. You have lots of perks.

If in the regular areas, they always do kids under 17 sail free. Go YC , you will not be sorry and then just enjoy the activities that you want for the fun!

PS YOu are not allowed to bring your own alcohol and it will be taken away if found.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

That is great!!! Not close to HAL. I had a great time in the galaxy disco it almost reminded me of Studio 54. The other poster is absolutely correct. Your room will be clean but you might not ever see your steward and no towel animals but super clean. I love the fact the bartenders don't ask you every 5 minutes if you need a drink. They can party you just won't find passengers passed out in the hallways, throwing up in the hot tub and some other displays I have personally witnessed on Carnival cruises, I'm American and that is what I expect from young carnival cruisers. When I was 25 I liked carnival now that I'm older I want to drink, dance have fun but be able to get up the next day. Loved the coffee and MSC has the best pizza I have ever tasted!! The shows are pretty damn good. The ship is beautiful. Once you go Yacht Club you will never go back. It's like flying 1st class then having to fly back coach.

If in the regular areas, they always do kids under 17 sail free. Go YC , you will not be sorry and then just enjoy the activities that you want for the fun!

PS YOu are not allowed to bring your own alcohol and it will be taken away if found.

No longer true I'm sorry to say.

What they pay depends on your region

In all regions it is only the cruise element which is free/reduced. airfares, taxes and surcharges are payable by children

In the UK they only get reduced fares unless they are under two years old

From the Current UK Mar 2016 to Apr 2017 on line brochure

kids%20fares%20uk.jpg

In Australia and N.Z. It kids under 13; and it is seasonal

From the current Aus / NZ on line Mar 2016 - Apr 2017 brochure

kids%20fars%20aus.jpg

Even in the US 2015 2016 winter brochure (which only has 4 pages) it's kids 11 and under go free

kids%20fares%20us.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks for clarifying that. I knew that free was cruise portion only, and should be more clear. I did not know it was regional though.

But back to why pick MSC...... it is great if you are ready for different. It is great if you will embrace the differences. We have found there is a lot to do all night long unlike other cruise lines.

It is not a party ship like CCL , but there is so much fun things happening and the night club areas and dance venues are full of people having fun. It is not a sleepy ship at all.

Your post is so ridiculous and so far from the truth it is not funny!!!

You really think that of HAL? Then you have not cruised it! I have seen more older people that cannot move around on their own on Princess. I have been on 2 HAL, and although not for me, the older people can run circles around me !!! There are vibrant and energetic older people. Your comment was offensive!

European style of MSC is leisurely pace of dinner, where it is ok to be slow. The bar service does not badger you every moment while you are on the sun decks...they wait for you to signal them for service. They are much more laid back and not bothering you. The staff interact. The staff will dance with you, talk with you.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

RE: Holland America. I've only been on two HAL cruises but while there seem to be more older people than, say, Carnival, it was by no means an old people cruise.

On our sailings we had two very active roll calls. I would say the ages of the attendees was 35-65. On one of our roll calls, the person who ran it and set up some great excursions was a 21 year old college student!;)

We're avid ballroom dancers, but I can't tell if there are really facilities on the MSC ships that would allow us to dance. I've checked a couple of deck plans, and it appears there's only one lounge on the ship, and not really big enough for dancing. Am I just missing the facilities?