Little worried 7 ships in 1 port...

rlmac

Which port?

We sail Nov 17th-24th Montego Bay, Jamaica port will only have 2 ships counting us.

George Town, Cayman Island will have 6 ships and Cozumel will have 7 ships. Never been to George Town and its been some time since I've been to Cozumel... Just a little worried about excursions and shops being packed.

The last time I was in Cozumel there were 7 or 8 ships. Other than the Dawn being the ship to tender:(, it wasn't bad there. I've been to Disney with bigger crowds. Didn't do any excursions, so can't speak on that.

Would you believe DH and I came across some cousins of his in Cozumel. They were on the Star (I believe) while we were on the Dawn. What are the odds. :D

We sail Nov 17th-24th Montego Bay, Jamaica port will only have 2 ships counting us.

George Town, Cayman Island will have 6 ships and Cozumel will have 7 ships. Never been to George Town and its been some time since I've been to Cozumel... Just a little worried about excursions and shops being packed.

I've been to Cayman with 7 ships before and it was pretty brutal. Everyone has to tender and they all go into a little harbor so it gets pretty congested. I would suggest doing a tour there to get away from the downtown area.

To be honest, our last sailing had 7 or 8 ships in Cozumel and I was WORRIED! I remember the berths being in the high 20's or low 30 THOUSANDS. Like worried to the point I booked Nachi Concoom, 5+ months in advance.

Get there and probably less than 1/2 of the passes were sold for that day. It was amazingly quiet and peaceful. Now that being said, it is right down from Mr Sanchos (I think that was it... lots of water toys and such) and they were PACKED.

Most private excursions know how many people sign up before hand so they can plan so it isn't a big deal. Some of the popular excursions might get a little crowded though. I would definitely say plan and book early for what you want to do there just in case and make a backup plan, never hurts to be over prepared!

I can't complain this time to much, out of 5 ports our highest is going to be St Thomas, with 2 ships and less than 8000 Pax. We will actually have 2 ports all to ourselves yeah since one is a beach day for us!

Georgetown in GC is a small town in size,so with 6 ships there, town center will probably be busy...Cozumel with 7 ships is a decent amount of people, especially if any of the big RCI ships are there like the Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Liberty of the Seas or Independence of The Seas...all those can carry from 4000-6300 passengers each...check cruisetimetables.com and look for cozumel under the "destinations" section ( scroll down), then click on cozumel, and find the date you will be there and you'll see all the ships docking there that day..great site to see all the ports of call and what ships will be there and when....good luck..

Big Al

Unless you are heavy into shopping, stay away from the dock area and main shopping area. It is block after block packed with people and aggressive store personnel.

My best advice is to go to the ports of call section here and check out the board for Cozumel. There is lots of good info on tours, things to do, etc. and you can ask specific questions there. If it is a non NCL vendor, book it pre cruise. If NCL, book as soon as you board, just in case. Some tours do sell out. We found out about Nachi on our roll call, but they were sold out when I contacted them. There are several similar, if that type of private beach club appeals to you.

This is one time I would recommend a ship based shore excursion in the busiest port. A snorkeling/catamaran cruise, for example, may pick you up alongside the ship and save you a ton of trouble. Check it out ;).

I've been to Cayman with 7 ships before and it was pretty brutal. Everyone has to tender and they all go into a little harbor so it gets pretty congested. I would suggest doing a tour there to get away from the downtown area.

I thought Cayman was crowded with TWO in port at Georgetown, plus 2 more CCL ships moored a few miles to the east and tendering in at a different spot, apparently.

We visited Grand Cayman with 8 ships and it got pretty darned crowded. We actually got a very early Stingray City excursion with Captain Marvin's and got out to the site before the large mob of cruise ship vendors did. I'm glad that we were leaving when they were arriving.

I think you can see 6 of the ships in this pic

IMG_3528-vi.jpg

When I was in Nassau in Jan. an hour or two after we docked 3 ships left. By the time we left Nassau at 9pm, we were the only ship left. It wasn't very crowded from what I remember, but at night it was dead. I guess a lot of people do tours and maybe that's why the town wasn't so busy during the day?

Archived