Key West

gscarfino@sbcglobal.net

Looking for ideas for Key West other than the Carnival Excursions. We will only be there for 5 hours 8am to 1pm.

I don't have much luck with the search feature on this website. I know I've seen discussions on things to do in key west, but when I search nothing comes up that is relevant. I've search other topics to no avail as well. Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I hate to keep asking questions on topics that I know have recently been discussed.

Anyway, looking for ideas.

Thanks

Hemingway House is neat...and they have all those six toed cats!! also have taken the trolley around...and have lunch with the chickens that are wondering all over the place:) Wish more ships stopped at Key West.

Old Town Key West is very small. There is no reason to rent a golf cart or electric car unless you have mobility issues. Parking can be difficult so I suggest walking. From the cruise ship docks, you can walk all the way down Whitehead Street passing the end of Route One sign, the Audubon House, The Lighthouse, The Hemingway House and reaching the Southernmost Point Marker. Stop in to tour any of these places you like.

Then, walk over one block to Duval Street and walk back up to the harbor area passing loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Stop for a fish sandwich, conch fritters, key lime pie or a drink along the way. Browse if a few shops or galleries. With a stop or two at places that peak your interest, you will easily use up your time in port, see a nice slice of Key West, and not spend money on an excursion, tour or car. If you get back to the ship and still have time left, you can walk east on Front Street and explore the historic harbor area.

That's what I would do as a first time visitor with only a few hours in port.

Edited by keywester33

Just a small observation. The Conch Train (great fun by the way) is not a true "hop on/Hop off) ride. To get that experience, you will need to take a trolley, which is great fun too, but a different kind of experience.

A hint...if you take the Conch Train, try to sit near the front because the tour guide talks about what is right in front of him. If you are in the far back seat of the Conch Train it will be hard to understand what sight is being discussed.

Thanks to all, that's probably what we'll do. My husband is starting to look at some of water excursions. It shows them on the website but I'm not sure if that means they are available for all the cruises. They don't really say when they leave and when they get back, it just says how long they are. We are there for 5 hours from 7:30 - 12:30. Some of the excursions are 3 or 4 hours so there's enough time but that's awfully early to be out on the water. I'm just not sure if just because it's on the website when I'm logged in if that means it's available for my trip.

The glass bottom boat is an option ;). Just remember in your time frame walking takes time " I have walked Key West several times" . Walking around Key West will not let you experience the island in your short time frame. Only if you had a couple of days. :D

I would just DIY it and visit the Truman White House, Hemingway House, Southernmost Point and any leftover time can be spent on Duval or in Mallory Square. You won't have time to do it all. It will be either the White House or Hemingway but not both without feeling quite crunched for time.

• 2 weeks later...
Old Town Key West is very small. There is no reason to rent a golf cart or electric car unless you have mobility issues. Parking can be difficult so I suggest walking. From the cruise ship docks, you can walk all the way down Whitehead Street passing the end of Route One sign, the Audubon House, The Lighthouse, The Hemingway House and reaching the Southernmost Point Marker. Stop in to tour any of these places you like.

Then, walk over one block to Duval Street and walk back up to the harbor area passing loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Stop for a fish sandwich, conch fritters, key lime pie or a drink along the way. Browse if a few shops or galleries. With a stop or two at places that peak your interest, you will easily use up your time in port, see a nice slice of Key West, and not spend money on an excursion, tour or car. If you get back to the ship and still have time left, you can walk east on Front Street and explore the historic harbor area.

That's what I would do as a first time visitor with only a few hours in port.

This was exactly what I needed! Thank you! This sounds like the perfect mini foot tour.

• 4 weeks later...