Taormina question

travellgirl

i am asking this on this board rather than the Italy board because it may be something specific to Azamara.

We have been to Taromina previously on Azamara and re,ember them prodding transportstion to the entrance to the. It's where you need to take an elevator to the actual town. Has anyone been there recently on Azamara? It seems there is an excursion for $50 per person just to get to the town. Are the taxis at the dock that we can take just it get to the entrance.? We do not plan on doing any type of excursion. Thank you.

Yes there were plenty taxis around. Also you can use the local buses and there was an independent selling a shuttle bus arrangement. We used the local bus but be careful with the timetable! (there are big gaps at some points in the day)

If you've been there before, why not try a Godfather tour with a stop at Castlemola if you haven't been there already. Just food for thought. There are a lot of private tour operators you could book through and share with fellow pax.

I didn't know about the elevator that takes you up to town. Where is It?

If you've been there before, why not try a Godfather tour with a stop at Castlemola if you haven't been there already. Just food for thought. There are a lot of private tour operators you could book through and share with fellow pax.

Midwestchick, I believe you are on our cruise, recognize your name from the roll call.

We remember an elevator, what they call a lyft, that we had to take to get up to the town center.

We have been looking at some private tours. Thank you for the information on this tour. I think we would consider it if we were going to be in port longer. Only being there for six hours, I don't know if we want to do s four hour excursion. We are going with friends and have just started planning our days.

Thanks. I'm sure we'll be in touch within the next few months.

As far as I'm aware there is no lift from Giardini Naxos to Taormina. It would have to be miles long! There is a parking garage just outside Taormina town which has a lift to take you up to the town level and from there you can walk to Taormina town in five minutes.

As others have said, taxi's are plentiful at the harbour gates and you can arrange for them to come back and collect you at a pre arranged time. They are very reliable.

Midwestchick, I believe you are on our cruise, recognize your name from the roll call.

We remember an elevator, what they call a lyft, that we had to take to get up to the town center.

We have been looking at some private tours. Thank you for the information on this tour. I think we would consider it if we were going to be in port longer. Only being there for six hours, I don't know if we want to do s four hour excursion. We are going with friends and have just started planning our days.

Thanks. I'm sure we'll be in touch within the next few months.

Yes, we are on the same cruise. I was a little disappointed that we'll only be there 6 hours on Sept. 19.

We have friends joining us on this cruise and I was hoping to show them more around Taormina.

We have a driver booked for the 18 to go to Ravello and some of the other villages we've not been to before. I do have room for 2 more people but if you're with friends, you may not be interested.

There is also an elevator that takes you up to Sorrento.

I'm please to see you remembered the Godfather Tour!!

Sal

As far as I'm aware there is no lift from Giardini Naxos to Taormina. It would have to be miles long! There is a parking garage just outside Taormina town which has a lift to take you up to the town level and from there you can walk to Taormina town in five minutes.

As others have said, taxi's are plentiful at the harbour gates and you can arrange for them to come back and collect you at a pre arranged time. They are very reliable.

Yes, that may be what we are remembering, the lift from that takes you up to the town.

Nancy have you been to Syracuse? Any hints about what to do there?

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

Yes I have been there. We did a private excursion to Noto. it was beautiful there...not busy and not spoiled by a lot of tourists. Most things close in the afternoon though. We did Catania in the morning and got there as things were closing for the afternoon. After that we walked around Siracusa on our own. I'll see if I can find ourntour operator. Our driver was wonderful.

There is a cable car which links the beach at Mazzaro (Taormina Mare) up to town 3 minutes walk from the Ports Messina. Have not used it myself but others have. They still had to get a taxi from Giardini Naxos as its about 4.3 kilometres along the coast.

It might have been this one. I thought it was something with Sicily Tours in the name.

http://www.sicilyshoretours.com/

Hope this doesn't cause too much confusion, but there is also a tour company called Sicily Life Tours.

We used it a few years ago for their Godfather tour, one which is still a highlight for my wife.

The reviews on TripAdvisor are positive, and some on this board will be interested to know that they now offer a Montalbano Tour, apparently visiting sites familiar to those who have read the novels and/or watched the TV series.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums