SS Queen Elizabeth vs MS Rotterdam

I_r_a

Hi All,

In planning for an upcoming voyage, I discovered that I could choose between these two vessels. The itineraries are very similar, the staterooms are in about the same place and the prices are almost the same.

I'd appreciate any information that would help in comparing the two ships.

Thanx much

Ira

Both the QUEEN ELIZABETH and ROTTERDAM are motor vessels. SS before a vessel's name designate a steam ship where MV before a ship's name indicates that she is a motor vessel.

I've been on both and I prefer the MV QUEEN ELIZABETH. It's generally more formal on Cunard, and that formality is reflected in passengers' evening attire along with the décor of both ships. I think the food is generally better on Cunard too.

I am not nautical, but I thought it was MS. I've never heard of MV before. but I am sure you are correct.

As far as the two ships go, I have been on neither. I can only point out that the QE is a larger ship that carries more passengers, if ship size matters to you. Also, the QE is a newer ship I believe.

I have been on the Veendam, but I believe that is a slightly smaller class than the Rotterdam. I liked that ship a good bit. When I was on it, it seemed well kept and was quite beautiful (except for the ghastly exterior stern modification they made). But I have seen many others on Cruise Critic who have had less enthusiastic reviews of her.

If it were me, I would try the QE. I am not a fan of HAL's movie screens by the pool, and I am hoping Cunard is a cut above HAL in food and ship atmosphere.

I have been on both ships and greatly prefer the QE, and Cunard in general, over the Rotterdam due to (IMO):

• Nicer decor
  • Free laundry
  • More attentive service
  • Better bars & drinks
  • Much more live music
  • Cunard's enrichment lectures
  • The library and bookstore
  • The formality and subsequent overall elegant decorum
  • Quiet nooks for reading, surfing and pondering whatever

We've done Rotterdam and QM2, not QE.

I agree that from a lectures standpoint, as well as the abundance of high quality lounge music, QE must certainly win the day. (If you like ballroom dancing, it's a no brainer, QE for sure!)

Points in Rotterdam's favor are the more spacious and better-appointed standard cabins, plus their library is the largest at sea and is drop dead gorgeous with so many features and handsome decor, comfy oceanview seats. Out of 30+ cruises, I'd say that is easily my favorite library/sitting space at sea!

Based on our recent QM2 voyage, I'd hazard a guess that food and service are fairly comparable.

Size? Rotterdam carries about one-half the pax load as QE. We loved the intimacy, and reduced crowds are a plus on a port-intensive itinerary.

Age? QE wins, but Rotterdam is one of HAL's two flagships, and she had a makeover at the end of 2012. I'd expect her to be lovely in spite of her 17 years...just a teen!

Dress? I am guessing your itinerary is port-intensive, in which case a somewhat less formal dress code might be welcome.

Demographics? I'd expect a similar pax makeup on both.

All in all, I don't see a clear favorite, i.e., it seems you have two fabulous choices! For destination cruises, I am all about the itinerary. I might suggest you be sure your comparisons in that regard take into consideration where the ship docks in each port, as on some itineraries, there is a much better dock than others. For example, we did Rotterdam in the Baltics and were at the city dock in Stockholm, while other ships were at a suburban dock that necessitated time-consuming (and fee-based) transfers.

Good luck with your decision-making, and have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have been on both ships and greatly prefer the QE, and Cunard in general, over the Rotterdam due to (IMO):

• Nicer decor
  • Free laundry

This is true on both cruise lines, depending on which cabin category you book. On HAL, you get free laundry if you book a Neptune Suite or above.

KK

We've done Rotterdam and QM2, not QE.

I agree that from a lectures standpoint, as well as the abundance of high quality lounge music, QE must certainly win the day. (If you like ballroom dancing, it's a no brainer, QE for sure!)

Points in Rotterdam's favor are the more spacious and better-appointed standard cabins, plus their library is the largest at sea and is drop dead gorgeous with so many features and handsome decor, comfy oceanview seats. Out of 30+ cruises, I'd say that is easily my favorite library/sitting space at sea!

Based on our recent QM2 voyage, I'd hazard a guess that food and service are fairly comparable.

Size? Rotterdam carries about one-half the pax load as QE. We loved the intimacy, and reduced crowds are a plus on a port-intensive itinerary.

Age? QE wins, but Rotterdam is one of HAL's two flagships, and she had a makeover at the end of 2012. I'd expect her to be lovely in spite of her 17 years...just a teen!

Dress? I am guessing your itinerary is port-intensive, in which case a somewhat less formal dress code might be welcome.

Demographics? I'd expect a similar pax makeup on both.

All in all, I don't see a clear favorite, i.e., it seems you have two fabulous choices! For destination cruises, I am all about the itinerary. I might suggest you be sure your comparisons in that regard take into consideration where the ship docks in each port, as on some itineraries, there is a much better dock than others. For example, we did Rotterdam in the Baltics and were at the city dock in Stockholm, while other ships were at a suburban dock that necessitated time-consuming (and fee-based) transfers.

Good luck with your decision-making, and have a wonderful cruise!

Everything I have ever read has featured QM2 as having the largest library at sea. I just looked at the MS Rotterdam deck plans, and could not find any mention of a library.

Could you have inadvertently typed Rotterdam rather than QM2? I have never been on the Rotterdam, just citing source material from the web. I understand that the discussion compares QE and Rotterdam, but all references indicate QM2 with the largest library.

Haha, you know, when I posted that, I wanted to include a picture, so I Googled it, and many hits featured the same promo text "largest library." But now that I think about it, of course, the newer Queen libraries are probably larger! Regardless of which ship can claim the largest, the ms Rotterdam library is, indeed, spacious and well-stocked. And the ambiance is wonderful.

I believe the library aboard ms Rotterdam is called Explorations Café. Virtual tour available here http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Rotterdam#

Partial quote from the webpage: "...Relax in our comfortable café, powered by The New York Times, featuring the daily crossword puzzle, custom espresso drinks and pastries and the most comprehensive selection of books and travel guides at sea."

Rotterdam's library must indeed be colossal if it's larger than QM2's.

Definitely not larger than QM2 but OP is comparing Rotterdam and QE. I don't actually remember QE library but Rotterdam's MAY be larger than QE. I'm sure both libraries are very nice.

Roy

I believe the library aboard ms Rotterdam is called Explorations Café. Virtual tour available here http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Rotterdam#

Thank you Salacia for the link, looks can be deceiving of course, esp in photographs, but that multi-purpose room looks to have a selection of books about one tenth of the choice found on QM2! :)

(no wonder I couldn't see "library" on the deck plans or find one listed under "public rooms" on the HAL website... it's a cafe, I never thought to look under "cafe". I've been in pubs like that, get a drink, pick up a book for a few minutes to pass the time, read a page or two, put it back... )

Thanks again :)

Edited by pepperrn

There are pro and cons with both of these ships. It really comes down to what YOU are most interested in and comfortable with when travelling.

Queen Elizabeth has IMO better much decor and enrichment lectures/entertainment. Cunard is much more formal then HAL. I've not been on the Rotterdam but i've been on the Volendam (a similar ship). HAL has more relaxed atmosphere and is not quite as formal as Cunard.

If you are comfortable with or enjoy getting dressed up for evening meals and like ballroom dancing after dinner then I'd say Queen Elizabeth for sure. I've done several HAL cruises and liked them, but it's always struck me as a little more meat and potatoes when I compare them with Cunard. Cunard has a different clientele which is a bit more cosmopolitan then HAL who have a very strong and loyal base of repeat guests.

(I posted this on the HAL boards to the same question - but I'll post here as well - B)

...with itineraries and pricing being relatively equal - I would go Cunard.

There are many more activities and opportunities for enrichment (lectures, classes) aboard a Cunard vessel.

The shops are outstanding - the selection, the prices, the quality are all far better than HAL.

I found entertainment to be better on Cunard - although my Cousin pointed out that Cunard has no Karaoke, which was a strike against in her book.

The balcony cabins are pretty much identical to a standard balcony cabin on HAL.

And if we're talking Suites - then I would DEFINITELY go Cunard Grilles.

You have a dedicated lounge, Bar, and outdoor areas with waiters bringing you cold towels, sunscreen and ice creams during the day.

You have your own restaurants where meals are made to order - and they do tableside flambes (Crepes Suzette, seared Lamb Chops, etc.)

You have your own table for the entire cruise - no Late/Early seating.

Aboard the Victoria and Elizabeth - if weather permits, you may choose to Breakfast/Lunch/Dine in the Grilles Courtyard.

Since all Princess Grille and many Queen's Grille suites are midship there's little reason to go aft of the midship stairwell - so the ship lives 1/2 it's size, but has the smoother ride of a larger vessel.

I remember going to karaoke in the Pub on QM2 around 11 pm one night a few years ago on a Caribbean cruise. One of our tablemates said that he had prepared an act and we just had to support him. No need: he brought the house down! That's the only time we went to karaoke. But that was before the refit of the Golden Lion. Glad to hear karaoke is alive and well in the Pub. (Enough with the TV screens already!).