Dress Code on PG cruises

Kingofcool1947

What is the dress code on PG cruises?

I live in shorts, t's , and flips when at home. Occasionally, a Hawaiian shirt if I feel like dressing up.

I don't want to wear a suit if not necessary.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

What is the dress code on PG cruises?

I live in shorts, t's , and flips when at home. Occasionally, a Hawaiian shirt if I feel like dressing up.

I don't want to wear a suit if not necessary.

No suits! Hawaiian shirts, polo shirts were ok last week. After 6 they require long pants (not jeans) for men. I was asked to return to my cabin for closed shoes when I approached the dining room wearing expensive OluKai sandals. So yes, they do check. everyone looked nice onboard in the evenings. Daytime was t shirt, flips, bathing suit or shorts. Pretty laid back but they will enforce the rules they have. Glad they do.:D

Jim Avery,

Thanks.

Would these be OK to wear?

My husband wore very similar Tevas and was never questioned. (He also wore long pants and a collared shirt.) I believe it calls for 'closed toe' shoes, and his Tevas did not show his toes. I did wear dressy sandals, which did show off my pedicured toes.

We did notice the occasional person not in keeping with the dress code - for example, the young woman who wore very short shorts to dinner.

Edited by azevedan

My husband wore very similar Tevas and was never questioned. (He also wore long pants and a collared shirt.) I believe it calls for 'closed toe' shoes, and his Tevas did not show his toes. I did wear dressy sandals, which did show off my pedicured toes.

We did notice the occasional person not in keeping with the dress code - for example, the young woman who wore very short shorts to dinner.

I hope she had nice legs! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
This is my only hesitation. My DH and I love the formal dress up nights. Maybe we need to give the casualness a try to experience this awesome itinerary.

There were some quite dressy people onboard our recent PG cruise, just no Tuxedos seen. It is by no means sloppy casual at night. Of course, your mileage may vary. We had a light passenger load. :D

We had a group of Japanese on our sailing who dressed to the nines for dinner most nights. Frankly they seemed quite out of plac.e and over dressed.. They should have saved those outfits for a cruise line that still has formal nights, they would have been great for that.

• Like 1

We had a group of Japanese on our sailing who dressed to the nines for dinner most nights. Frankly they seemed quite out of plac.e and over dressed..

On the other hand, I've often seen people dressed much more formally than I on the PG, and I didn't perceive them as being out of place. Of course, I don't know how they would seem to ducklite or to anybody else.

In fact, on the night of the Captain's reception I, in my usual khakis and Hawaiian shirt, was somewhat under-dressed compared to the norm: lots of people like to go pretty formal for that night.

In general, the passengers and staff on the PG are friendly and accepting people, which is consistent with the Polynesian culture.

Great!

Now all I need is to decide on an itinerary. :)

What would be your recommendation for 1st time PG cruise?

Also, is there somewhere I can find posted samples of diner menus? On this forum?

We have done 2 SEVENS, 1 FOURTEEN (Marquesas), and this summer it will be our 6th TEN. You could probably guess which I would recommend. :)

On the other hand, I've often seen people dressed much more formally than I on the PG, and I didn't perceive them as being out of place. Of course, I don't know how they would seem to ducklite or to anybody else.

In fact, on the night of the Captain's reception I, in my usual khakis and Hawaiian shirt, was somewhat under-dressed compared to the norm: lots of people like to go pretty formal for that night.

In general, the passengers and staff on the PG are friendly and accepting people, which is consistent with the Polynesian culture.

Are there "Formal" nights llike on mainstream cruise lines i.e. Princess and Celebrity? What is acceptable attire on those nights? For men and women?

Thanks.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Other than that Japanese group, the dressiest anyone got on our cruise was a sports jacket over a shirt and trousers--more like casual cocktail party attire than even remotely formal. There was no one actually in formal attire. The Japanese were in semi-formal attire most nights. One exception was a guy who wore several different tuxes in bright colors complete with color coordinating ruffled shirts--a real 70's throwback.

Edited by ducklite

How about these with khaki's or linen trousers and Hawaiian shirt acceptable after 6 p.m.?

Those look okay, the Tevas don't. Khakis, collared shirt (long-sleeved, short-sleeved, polo), and closed shoes for men. Nice top and pants/skirt or dress for women, nice sandals totally acceptable.

This is my only hesitation. My DH and I love the formal dress up nights. Maybe we need to give the casualness a try to experience this awesome itinerary.

You can wear whatever you like. I've seen women in ballgowns on this ship, and men in suits (although not tuxedos, aside from the maitre'd!) The British guests often seem better dressed than us.

For a man, would it be ok to wear a nice, dressy Hawaiian shirt, or collared short sleeve golf shirt, with cargo style shorts? Leather sandals or canvas boat shoes?

I want to avoid bringing a suit/sport coat if not needed for dinner.

Thanks.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Shorts are definitely not allowed at dinner. The footwear you are suggesting is also too casual. Leather deck shoes, loafers, or fisher and sandals are good options. Canvass and open toed sandals are not. A sport coat is not needed and in our albeit limited experience, except the overdressed Japanese group, is the exception to the rule.

Edited by ducklite

Ducklite is correct. Last month, long pants (not jeans) were required for men. I was asked to return to my cabin and change out my leather Olukai sandals for closed toe shoes. Not a real imposition and I am glad there are actual standards. The Hawaiian print shirts are perfectly fine with your trousers.

For a man, would it be ok to wear a nice, dressy Hawaiian shirt, or collared short sleeve golf shirt, with cargo style shorts? Leather sandals or canvas boat shoes?

I want to avoid bringing a suit/sport coat if not needed for dinner.

Thanks.

Definitely no shorts, or in most cases for me, sandals. But you don't need a sports coat, just a pair of khaki pants. Your dressy shirt would probably look out of place with cargo shorts anyways, right?

In case you may have forgotten, if you check your posts and the posts of others on January 22nd, you will find your question has already pretty well been answered.