Sydney Ferry and Opal Card

We're planning to come into Sydney about a week before our cruise. I've seen that we can buy an Opal Card to navigate on ferries, busses, trains, etc. I've looked at the website, and still don't quite understand :(.

Can we get a senior discount even though we live in the US? If we buy two $60.00 card's can we ride any public transportation during our stay without paying more?

Do y'all (Sydney traveler's) use this card and think it's a good value?

Thanks!

We're planning to come into Sydney about a week before our cruise. I've seen that we can buy an Opal Card to navigate on ferries, busses, trains, etc. I've looked at the website, and still don't quite understand :(.

Can we get a senior discount even though we live in the US? If we buy two $60.00 card's can we ride any public transportation during our stay without paying more?

Thanks!

No overseas visitors can't get a senior discount.

Interstate Australians have to apply for a special Opal card a fortnight before our planned visit.

However, if you plan to use public transport a lot, especially the ferries, an adult Opal Card would still be worthwhile, as it is a joy to explore Sydney by public ferry. I do it everytime I visit, as Sydney has such a beautiful harbour, harbourside national parks and beaches.

Yes, the locals here use it as many buses are pre-pay only.

Also, the Opal card has some other benefits......

- it is $2.50 for transport on Sunday

- the daily cap is $15 so after that your transport is free.....if taking the ferry to Manly and back on the ferry...it's almost $15... so after your next transport, the rest of the day is free

- after eight paid trips per week (with an hour between each trip), the rest of the week is free

- the weekly cap is $60

note that it is difficult for visitors to claim back any unused portion on the Opal card (usually paid into a local bank account only)

Seniors OPAL card available to Australians ONLY .

With OPAL car you can travel on all trains, trams, buses & ferries.in Sydney area . Maximum fare cap each day $ 15 .

Also you can travel as far as Katoomba in Blue Mountains on this card . So good value .

Edited by kuldalai

Agree with all the Aussies...the OPAL card was one of the best things we discovered before our cruise out of Sydney. The other was meeting all of the wonderful Aussies that helped us along the way.

Our story: At Circular Quay, we informed the lady behind the ticket window that we wanted to visit both Bondi Beach and Manly Beach. One requires a bus and the other a ferry. She smiled and said "Why don't you just buy an OPAL card instead of buying separate tickets". The very nice lady actually came out of her office, pointed us to the cigar shop next door and said "Just buy two $20 tickets...one for each one of you...you can use it all day".

After we purchased our two tickets, (it looks like a credit card with a nice plastic covering), we were instructed to simply "Tap in and Tap off".

Not knowing what that meant, we went back to the nice lady at the ticket window and asked her, "How do you tap in and tap off?". The lady smiled, walked back out of her office again, took us to the ferry entrance, and pointed to the round button. When entering, you simply "tap on", the gate opens. When you come back, you simply "tap off", the gate opens. The amount is automatically deducted as you go.

Here's the funny part. After visiting Bondi Beach by bus and visiting Manly Beach by ferry (yes, you can use the same OPAL card for both), we wanted to take the train/subway and visit sites around Sydney. We were just about to add more money into our $20 card...when we were told..."Oh, no need to add more money. After you spend $15, all the rides for the rest of the day are free".

You would've been laughing watching us ride the trains all over Sydney...we took the train everywhere! We were "train experts" after only one day. The OPAL card was so convenient, so easy to use, inexpensive, and can be used over and over. We still have ours and plan on using it again next time we visit the wonderful city of Sydney. :) Happy Sailing!

Also you can travel as far as Katoomba in Blue Mountains on this card . So good value .

We are planning on using the train to the Blue Mountains, but past Katoomba (doesn't the train go further up--Lithgow?) How much more would it cost to do this? No problem, just want to know. And, do we purchase another ticket or add money to Opal card?

Thanks for your help

ML

We are planning on using the train to the Blue Mountains, but past Katoomba (doesn't the train go further up--Lithgow?) How much more would it cost to do this? No problem, just want to know. And, do we purchase another ticket or add money to Opal card?

Thanks for your help

ML

You can use the Opal card to Lithgow!

Just make sure the train you catch isnt one that terminates at Mount Victoria or Katoomba.

Lithgow is the end of the line for the Blue Mountains line.

Edited by tillydog

You can use the Opal card to Lithgow!

Just make sure the train you catch isnt one that terminates at Mount Victoria or Katoomba.

Lithgow is the end of the line for the Blue Mountains line.

Thanks for clearing that up, we will be sure we get on the correct train :)

ML

Its a while since I used one, and I paid full Adult fare, but I thought its only available to NSW Seniors only.

NSW Opal Card is avaialble to Seniors Card holders of ALL Australian States and Territories.

Edited by kuldalai

Thanks for your help

ML

OPAL CARD will cover you past Katoomba to Leura, Medlow Bath and even Mt Victoria . Max charge $ 15 per day .

Edited by kuldalai

• 4 months later...

I will be arriving at SYD International and will be taking the airport train to the city.

I see I can buy an Opal card at the Train ticket counter.

I looked at the Opal card website but couldn't find this answer.

For us infrequent overseas visitors ( 3 or 4 times a year ), how long will any funds on the card stay active between top-ups ?

IE: If I don't use the card for 6 months will I lose the stored amount ?

Thanks.

....For us infrequent overseas visitors ( 3 or 4 times a year ), how long will any funds on the card stay active between top-ups ?

IE: If I don't use the card for 6 months will I lose the stored amount ?

Thanks.

It will last for 9yrs.

https://www.opal.com.au/en/faqs/

Third question down.

Just as a note for users reading this forum topic, the opal benifits have changed frrom the 5 september 2016, There are no free trips after exceeding 8 trips a week, but instead half price fares after the 8 trips.

cya

bl262000

NSW Opal Card is avaialble to Seniors Card holders of ALL Australian States and Territories.

I wonder why they don't give concessions to Kiwi Seniors. I thought Australia and New Zealand had a reciprocal seniors agreement. I know we get all the discounts and benefits of Kiwi Seniors when we visit New Zealand.

I wonder why they don't give concessions to Kiwi Seniors. I thought Australia and New Zealand had a reciprocal seniors agreement. I know we get all the discounts and benefits of Kiwi Seniors when we visit New Zealand.

when us aussies travel on the Auckland buses we dont get any seniors discount, we have to pay full fare .....can you tell me how you get the discounts

when us aussies travel on the Auckland buses we dont get any seniors discount, we have to pay full fare .....can you tell me how you get the discounts

I can't recall exactly. When we traveled from the airport into Auckland back in March we prepaid online and selected seniors. I can't recall what we did to get seniors rate on the buses.

After my last post I checked on the Australian and New Zealand Governments reciprocal seniors agreement and it appears that it is more of a voluntary thing by participating companies and some government agencies. Try showing your aussie seniors card when purchasing a ticket and if they don't want to give you the seniors rate say "I thought there was a reciprocal seniors agreement between Australia and New Zealand" and see how you go. I had bus driver refuse my Queensland Seniors Card in Adelaide and when I said there is a reciprocal agreement between states he gave me the free seniors ticket.

Check this website it says the reciprocal rights are for all NZ Gold Card participants but not government concessions which I guess includes transport and I guess the airport bus must be a private service.

https://www.qld.gov.au/seniors/legal-finance-concessions/using-seniors-card/

Does anyone know if I can pass my Opal card on to a friend in Australia if I still have money left on it when I leave to go back to the U.S.?

Yes you certainly can. No problem doing this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app