Charlottetown and/or PEI w/o Anne or the Bridge

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against either but we have done them a few years ago when we drove around PEI which we loved.

Anyway we are going to be in Charlottetown off the Maasdam in latish Oct. Any ideas of a tour that would not include either of these. It can be either in town or outside of the town.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I've done a both a waking tour and a horse-drawn carriage tour of Charlottetown that didn't do either. You can also just wader through Charlottetown, it's a nice walkable town.

I am not a big group tour fan.

It was my second time this year visiting Charlottetown from a cruise ship. On my second stop, the weather was cooperating so I took a good walk around town. I really enjoyed it . Charlottetown is a quaint city.

I visited Province House. I found the movie they show there about the foundation of Canada very interesting.

For inspiration, here is a port guide written by Tom Sheridan, a fellow cruiser. It is free and has no publicity. It contains a walking tour. Enjoy:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Charlo...06-15-2011.pdf

We're going to Charlottetown next week on the Veendam and we are renting a car, but not planning to go anywhere near "Anne-land". Anyway, the plan now is to go to Dalvey-by-the-Sea, some scenic beaches in PEI National Park, and Cows Creamery! I'll be glad to let you know after we get back exactly what we ended up doing.

Rent a car and explore. Go to the north shore near Cavendish and head east. There is lots to see. Just allow time to get back (maybe two hours) and you will be fine. October is off season and many touristy attractions will be closed. that would make it more attractive for me. Walk on the beaches and around little towns. Check out the wharf at North Rustico.

http://*******/1mX0yDk

As an example this drive is under four hours but could be shortened if necessary.

Edited by maryann ns

I am not a big group tour fan.

It was my second time this year visiting Charlottetown from a cruise ship. On my second stop, the weather was cooperating so I took a good walk around town. I really enjoyed it . Charlottetown is a quaint city.

I visited Province House. I found the movie they show there about the foundation of Canada very interesting.

For inspiration, here is a port guide written by Tom Sheridan, a fellow cruiser. It is free and has no publicity. It contains a walking tour. Enjoy:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Charlo...06-15-2011.pdf

Try once more with this link:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Charlottetown-06-15-2011.pdf

It worked for me

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser
Title change

We are going to rent a car and take a kayaking tour from Victoria starting at 12pm. Any suggestions on where to visit before/after the tour? We will have 2-3 hours before the tour and 2 hours after.

Before, I would head north for a quick peek at the north shore. Be sure to go into the National Park. This map shows a drive to the the Confederation Bridge but you can skip that if you are out of time. https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Charlottetown,+PE&daddr=North+Rustico,+PE+to:Cavendish,+PE+to:Borden-Carleton,+PE+to:Victoria,+PE&hl=en&ll=46.354511,-63.418579&spn=0.55448,1.344452&sll=46.354334,-63.315448&sspn=0.55448,1.344452&geocode=FSCKwQIdQrI8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg%3BFaTlxAId2Oo5_ClDm07mw7hfSzHc9MVNE28Fyw%3BFX1mxQIdDus4_Cn9MZARn79fSzHbNUdcyY43pg%3BFcPGwQIdfiI0_CktWVQFygpfSzHb4kp64pFkkg%3BFYAvwQId3zY3_Cktc3XL6gdfSzGUH1L3_jJisQ&oq=vic&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

After I would likely poke around, making my way back to Charlottetown with time to look around there.

This link includes some suggestions for a self directed tour of the eastern end of PEI. It's not as "touristy" as Cavendish but you should enjoy the scenery. This is the real PEI. In Oct you will be off season so most seasonal businesses are closed. If you have any specific questions please ask. Hope you enjoy our Island.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1898085.html

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks like a nice way to spend the morning

We're going to Charlottetown next week on the Veendam and we are renting a car, but not planning to go anywhere near "Anne-land". Anyway, the plan now is to go to Dalvey-by-the-Sea, some scenic beaches in PEI National Park, and Cows Creamery! I'll be glad to let you know after we get back exactly what we ended up doing.

OK, we're back and here's what we did on our self-guided tour of PEI:

1. Walked to the Budget/Avis office from the ship to pick up our rental car (about 15 minute walk)

2. Drove to Dalkey-by-the-Sea. Got out and took a quick look inside the hotel and walked a bit around the grounds.

3. Drove along the Gulf Shore Parkway inside PEI National Park and stopped at one of the beaches for a nice walk. (Ask for a map at the Visitor's Center near Dalkey-by-the-Sea and the ranger can recommend where to stop to walk).

4. Drove out the park and stopped at the Dunes Studio Gallery near Brackley Beach. Walked through the gardens and the gallery and had a coffee before heading to our next stop.

5. Stopped for a short while in South Rustico and went inside the historic St. Augustine Parish Church.

6. Drove to North Rustico. Got out and walked along the boardwalk from the parking area to the beach and then along the beach to the harbor. Very scenic!

7. Drove to the PEI Preserve Company and did some tasting--yummy!

8. Drove back to Charlottetown and stopped at the Cow's Creamery factory for a tour. We were there in time for the 3pm tour, but it had been booked out for a bus tour, so we missed out on a tour. However, we did buy some ice cream and it was delicious! Did a bit of shopping in the mall there and then headed back to drop off the car.

9. Dropped off the car at Budget/Avis and walked back to the ship in plenty of time before the 4pm departure.

We had a great day--had some excellent beach walks, saw some neat art, saw some scenic towns that were crowd-free and tasted some good jams and ice cream. We really appreciated being in scenic areas by ourselves and it cost us less than $70 for the car rental and gasoline.

1. Walked to the Budget/Avis office from the ship to pick up our rental car (about 15 minute walk)

2. Drove to Dalkey-by-the-Sea. Got out and took a quick look inside the hotel and walked a bit around the grounds.

3. Drove along the Gulf Shore Parkway inside PEI National Park and stopped at one of the beaches for a nice walk. (Ask for a map at the Visitor's Center near Dalkey-by-the-Sea and the ranger can recommend where to stop to walk).

4. Drove out the park and stopped at the Dunes Studio Gallery near Brackley Beach. Walked through the gardens and the gallery and had a coffee before heading to our next stop.

5. Stopped for a short while in South Rustico and went inside the historic St. Augustine Parish Church.

6. Drove to North Rustico. Got out and walked along the boardwalk from the parking area to the beach and then along the beach to the harbor. Very scenic!

8. Drove back to Charlottetown and stopped at the Cow's Creamery factory for a tour. We were there in time for the 3pm tour, but it had been booked out for a bus tour, so we missed out on a tour. However, we did buy some ice cream and it was delicious! Did a bit of shopping in the mall there and then headed back to drop off the car.

9. Dropped off the car at Budget/Avis and walked back to the ship in plenty of time before the 4pm departure.

We had a great day--had some excellent beach walks, saw some neat art, saw some scenic towns that were crowd-free and tasted some good jams and ice cream. We really appreciated being in scenic areas by ourselves and it cost us less than $70 for the car rental and gasoline.

Almost the exact same tour we did with Duncan's two weeks ago. The cost was $240 for six of us.

We had almost the same day. We rented from Budget, drove to PEI National Park where our teens enjoyed skipping stones at the red sand beaches. We then drove to the Confederation bridge and then back to the Cows creamery tour. Only thing we didn't have time for (timing was weird) was the cheese place we wanted to visit. We had an incredibly beautiful day on PEI, and my Southern California kids even said they want to live there!

Thank you GradUT and all the others for posting back on your experience of car rental in PEI. If I go back on another Canada/New England R+R cruise, it will give me the courage to rent a car on my own.:)

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

• 4 weeks later...
This link includes some suggestions for a self directed tour of the eastern end of PEI. It's not as "touristy" as Cavendish but you should enjoy the scenery. This is the real PEI. In Oct you will be off season so most seasonal businesses are closed. If you have any specific questions please ask. Hope you enjoy our Island.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1898085.html

What do you think of the PEI preserve company for lunch ?

Sorry, but I've never been there. The business as been open for a long time, so they must be doing something right, but hopefully others who have eaten there will advise you.

Blair

thank you for the info. I was a little concerned about all the tours that go there and it be a little "touristy" . Of course that is what I am. :D

Have been humming and hawing about what to do in Charlottetown. Have a car booked but no where to go. I grew up with Anne - my most favourite books of all - but I have no need to see "Anne Land" - she's a fictitious character ???

You both describe what sounds just lovely. We'll take our GPS, start with this plan and see where it takes us.

We've always talked about going camping on a PEI shore. Obviously not possible this time but could we somehow rustle up a picnic? ie. some nice local takeout/fresh fruit etc. and we'll fake it? Any suggestions would be most welcome, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. I think this is a great opportunity to wing it...

What do you think of the PEI preserve company for lunch?

It is touristy, but that does not mean it's not good. I have never had a bad meal there. That said, I think when the cruise ships are in port, they tend to be more focused on the tours that stop for "lobster lunches" than on individuals coming for lunch. I have only ever been to lunch there on a tour and I find the tours definitely do take over the vast majority of the space available in the restaurant.

But I can say their jams/jellies/marmalades and teas (particularly the Cavendish Sunset blend) are well worth the trip. They are definitely some of the best jams/jellies I've had. I mail-order the Cavendish Sunset blend of tea because I really enjoy it and have not found another comparable blend.

We tend to go to The Water Prince for lunch in Charlottetown. It's a nice walk from the ship and has good food. I'm sure it's touristy too, but I don't mind that. I am a tourist! But be warned, it's a small establishment and fills up quickly with the ship passengers.

Have been humming and hawing about what to do in Charlottetown. Have a car booked but no where to go. I grew up with Anne - my most favourite books of all - but I have no need to see "Anne Land" - she's a fictitious character ???

You both describe what sounds just lovely. We'll take our GPS, start with this plan and see where it takes us.

We've always talked about going camping on a PEI shore. Obviously not possible this time but could we somehow rustle up a picnic? ie. some nice local takeout/fresh fruit etc. and we'll fake it? Any suggestions would be most welcome, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. I think this is a great opportunity to wing it...

If you are going to "roam" around the Island, and wish to pack your own picnic, (or you are ah... ah... frugal like me) my suggestion is to pack a soft sided cooler, or two. There are three Sobeys super markets (a "Maritimes" company based in Nova Scotia) in the Ch'Town area. I attached a map showing their locations. All 3 have a deli and produce Dept. right inside the door. The deli has; prepackage lunches, cold salads, chicken (whole & pieces), pizza, chinese food, meatballs etc. etc. My better half often brings home chicken pieces, pizzas or cold salads for our supper. It's not 4 star dining but it's good food. And this is PEI so if in doubt ask the counter attendant to give you a sample before you buy. Enjoy our Island.

PS - Look for the green street signs on the end of dirt roads. If there is a sign, it's a public road. If it's headed towards the coast check it out. There are some beautiful vistas at the end of some of these roads.

Ch'Town.pdf

If you are going to "roam" around the Island, and wish to pack your own picnic, (or you are ah... ah... frugal like me) my suggestion is to pack a soft sided cooler, or two. There are three Sobeys super markets (a "Maritimes" company based in Nova Scotia) in the Ch'Town area. I attached a map showing their locations. All 3 have a deli and produce Dept. right inside the door. The deli has; prepackage lunches, cold salads, chicken (whole & pieces), pizza, chinese food, meatballs etc. etc. My better half often brings home chicken pieces, pizzas or cold salads for our supper. It's not 4 star dining but it's good food. And this is PEI so if in doubt ask the counter attendant to give you a sample before you buy. Enjoy our Island.

PS - Look for the green street signs on the end of dirt roads. If there is a sign, it's a public road. If it's headed towards the coast check it out. There are some beautiful vistas at the end of some of these roads.

Great suggestion for the picnic lunch. When we were there in mid October 2009, it seemed like everything along our route (we did the Green Gables Shore drive) was already closed for the season, and I'm not sure we even had lunch. We'll be in your gorgeous province next month, and we're planning to re-create our drive, if we can remember how we did it. :D

If you are going to "roam" around the Island, and wish to pack your own picnic, (or you are ah... ah... frugal like me) my suggestion is to pack a soft sided cooler, or two. There are three Sobeys super markets (a "Maritimes" company based in Nova Scotia) in the Ch'Town area.

All 3 have a deli and produce Dept. right inside the door.

Thank you for helping me complete my Charlottetown planning - that will fit the bill perfectly. Yes I AM frugal :) but this is likely the only picnic we'll be doing on the trip. I won't much matter what we pack as the vistas we find by chance as we try out the "green street signs". Hope the weather co-operates - but if need be we can stay in the car!