Europe and Tuxedos

Flick

I can't find this post so I will try again. Cruising in Europe always meant you wore a tux, if you had one, on formal nights. Is that still true? Can anyone who cruised in Europe on NCL this past seaon let me know what formal nights were like on those ships?

We have cruised in Europe many times (will be doing it again next Sunday) and I usually do take my tux. However, on the mass market cruise lines (Princess, RCI, Celebrity, HA, Carnival) we have seldom seen more than 50% in tuxes. A dark suit is fine, and we have seen many men simply wearing a blazer. As to the ladies, you see everything from formal gowns to skirts.

Hank

I can't find this post so I will try again. Cruising in Europe always meant you wore a tux, if you had one, on formal nights. Is that still true? Can anyone who cruised in Europe on NCL this past seaon let me know what formal nights were like on those ships?
Your other post is right here on the NCL forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=665633

Thanx for your replies. I found the other Post..it was on page 2..I didn't look hard enough! It's interesting, this thread says take the tux and the other thread says don't bother. Guess I'm back to flipping a coin. Of course, I probably should also check and see if the tux still fits me.LOL

Oceania is not cheap---no tuxes!!! It is country club casual--some jackets and ties, but very few. It may be because it is so port intensive. It is definitely my idea of a vacation. No extra weight with all the trappings of formal wear. Pat

• 4 months later...

Each until their own.

If you feel comfortable in a Tux then wear it, don't follow the other sheep, it is YOUR cruise so wear whatever (sorry for the pun) suites you.

My DW wants me to wear my Lederhose on our next cruise.:o I said OK so long as I can wear a speedo over them so that I can go as Superman to passenger talent show.;)

Ron

Funny thing.The cheaper the cruise line,the less the Tux is seen.Does that tell you something?

Yes, those who travel on the "cheaper" cruise lines are less pretentious and prefer not to look like trussed up penguins.

Welcome to the 21st century.:p

Each until their own.

If you feel comfortable in a Tux then wear it, don't follow the other sheep, it is YOUR cruise so wear whatever (sorry for the pun) suites you.

My DW wants me to wear my Lederhose on our next cruise.:o I said OK so long as I can wear a speedo over them so that I can go as Superman to passenger talent show.;)

Ron

Well, that would be a sight to see

It's REALLY difficult to justify dragging a tux, etc. overseas, when RCCl encourages people to race back to their cabins immediately after dinner and change into grungy jeans and shorts for the remainder of the evening's festivities! Formal night has turned into a photo op, with mostly ill-fitting rentals. We will be dressed in cocktail attire which is easily packed and appropriate to the venue. Can you tell my cage has been rattled?

The comment about P&O cruises having 99% of gentlemen attired in Dinner Jacket is correct.

The two drivers for this are:

a). Most P&O passengers are British and the majority of them are what are loosely described as "traditional" cruisers.

b). The majority of P&O's departures are ex.Southampton and most passengers have travelled to Southampton by car, coach or rail, and therefore do not have weight restrictions.

Last year on a 14 day Alaska with three formal nights my husband rented a tux from the cruise ship and it worked out great. It fit, it was in our room on arrival, he had 2 different shirts and it was easy - no packing problems. We like that option!

My DH will be renting a tux from Princess on our Baltic cruise. Since he will only use it 2x on the cruise, it it worth paying to rent to have more room in the suitcase.

My DH will be renting a tux from Princess on our Baltic cruise. Since he will only use it 2x on the cruise, it it worth paying to rent to have more room in the suitcase.

Our tip of the day - when my husband went online to fill out the measurements for his tux they ask you to measure and record your waist size. Really what you need to do is enter your pants size. When he "measured" with a tape measure it was larger than he normally wears, so we entered his pants size and they fit perfectly.

Our tip of the day - when my husband went online to fill out the measurements for his tux they ask you to measure and record your waist size. Really what you need to do is enter your pants size. When he "measured" with a tape measure it was larger than he normally wears, so we entered his pants size and they fit perfectly.

Thanks for the tip.

What we did last time, we went to a tux store and ask if they would measure DH.

My husband looks great and it is easier than a suit which takes up as much room. Don't have to pick out shirts and ties and it travels well. I ordered his tux several years ago on line at etuxedo. It's a classic lightweight wool and when I took it out of the box it had almost no wrinkles and it fit him to a T. Since cruising has become a favorite way to travel for us I am delighted that we made such a small investment. Renting is almost as expensive as what I paid for the tux including assessories. I recommend it.

I've noticed, on a couple of QE2 crossings, that European men do not seem to wear cummerbunds and in some cases, studded shirts. Could anyone comment on this? Fashion, or just a strategy to pack less?

I've noticed, on a couple of QE2 crossings, that European men do not seem to wear cummerbunds and in some cases, studded shirts. Could anyone comment on this? Fashion, or just a strategy to pack less?

A Dinner suit is not complete without a cummerbund,Dress studs and Dress(Patent)shoes,(but please do not wear a wing collar).This is the traditional style which makes the whole emsemble complete.Now,if you wish to wear something other than this,then you are putting your own interpretation on the theme.I have noticed some American men now choose to wear a normal Tie instead of a more widely used bow Tie,but not so much on a ship.black and white is traditional but some other colours are worn by some gentlemen.

Archived