Is SeaTac Safe?

Lady_Jag

Hi!

I am staying at a Seattle hotel near SeaTac next month, and need to know a little about the area.

I get up at the crack of dawn and go for about an hour walk/jog every day, but since I've never been to Seattle before, I was wondering if this is a safe area to be out and about alone at dawn? Also, are there sidewalks or bike/walking trails along the roadside?

(I'd really prefer not to deal with the hotel gym. Ick!)

Thanks!

Yes, there are sidewalks, and yes, it's a reasonably safe area. Not scenic, but not dangerous in the early morning. 2 AM on some stretches of the highway, maybe a little sketchy, 6 AM a different story. Keep your wits about you of course. Which hotel?

Thank you!

It's the Best Western - Executel, SeaTac

i think it is more in a residential area of the airport . We stayed at a BW at Seatac and found the area a bit on the rundown side.

There aren't many restaurants or stores within walking distance of the hotel . As a BW I personally rated it are 1.5 star . wasn't up to the

usual BW standards . I used to (before retiring) spend up to 30 days a year in BW hotels.

Edited by Kamloops50

Thank you!

It's the Best Western - Executel, SeaTac

I've lived in SeaTac for years so I'm pretty familiar with the area. The truly sketchy parts are about 50 blocks north, on the other side of Highway 518. Gardyloo is right, it's not the most scenic area--pretty typical for a commercial strip around any big-city airport--but it's probably fine. I ALWAYS qualify statements about how safe an area is, because stuff happens once in a while, anywhere, any time of day, even to people who follow all the rules--but if it were me and I was inclined to go jogging (which I am not--if you ever see me running, you can assume a grizzly bear or a lava flow isn't far behind me), I wouldn't worry too much about an early-morning jog there.

but if it were me and I was inclined to go jogging (which I am not--if you ever see me running, you can assume a grizzly bear or a lava flow isn't far behind me), I wouldn't worry too much about an early-morning jog there.

LOL! My husband says the same thing - that if I ever see him running, I'd better turn and run with him because that means something really awful is behind him! :D

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I get up at the crack of dawn and go for about an hour walk/jog every day...

Me too! I walked in Elizabeth, New Jersey (at Newark Airport) without incident - sketch if there ever was a sketchy area! You should be fine. Do you wear ear buds? Perhaps keep one ear open, just as a precaution. :)

Just be aware that the crack of dawn may be about 0430-0445. Actual sunrise in June will be 0500-0515.

Since I am wide awake at the first sign of light in the morning, I usually wear an eye mask this time of year. LOL

To give you a better idea of crime in Seatac, and if you will be safe, here are some figures for you to ponder, remembering that everyone is safe until they become a victim.

What most people are concerned with, are Part one crimes against person. Part one crimes against persons include homicide, robbery, rape, assault, and mayhem.

From January 1, 2015 to May 15, 2015, there were a total of 17 incidents in Seatac, and rape and homicide were not included in the incidents since they didn't have any.

The area around International Blvd near the airport and hotels was very low in incidents.

No one can ever guarantee that you will be safe anywhere in the world, and Seatac is no different.:):)

As has been mentioned many times on this forum, always be aware of your surroundings and us common sense no matter where you are.:)

Just be aware that the crack of dawn may be about 0430-0445. Actual sunrise in June will be 0500-0515.

Since I am wide awake at the first sign of light in the morning, I usually wear an eye mask this time of year. LOL

Thanks! I'm on EDT (FL) so 5AM PDT is actually sleeping in for me. [emoji6]

Me too! I walked in Elizabeth, New Jersey (at Newark Airport) without incident - sketch if there ever was a sketchy area! You should be fine. Do you wear ear buds? Perhaps keep one ear open, just as a precaution. :)

Good point! I do wear earbuds, but keep the volume low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't that the truth! M8ne and my husband's favorite joke about Seattle is at 5 a.m. in June "oh look it's daytime again." Lol... having come from the southern central time zone it wasn't that late but after 2 days when you stay up till well after the Sun Goes Down which is also very late, that 345 sunrise is really early no matter how you slice it!

when I go walking by myself I take a personal alarm. It's very small round device you can either hold or clip on to a belt or zipper. When the pin is pulled the siren is loud enough to wake the dead several blocks away.it is police approved and I got it from Amazon. It was not expensive and it gives me peace of mind.

Thanks! I'm on EDT (FL) so 5AM PDT is actually sleeping in for me. [emoji6]

Head south along Pacific Hwy (same side of the street as the BW) past Furney's Nursery, where they're still enjoying a lot of my money, and there's a big 24-hr Safeway market with espresso bar, etc. next door. Get a latte and a doughnut to counteract the effects of your jog. :D

Head south along Pacific Hwy (same side of the street as the BW) past Furney's Nursery, where they're still enjoying a lot of my money, and there's a big 24-hr Safeway market with espresso bar, etc. next door. Get a latte and a doughnut to counteract the effects of your jog. :D

Oh, that sounds wonderful! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In very broad generalities, south and west are safer than north and east when it comes to pedestrian and athletic endeavors around the airport. I don't know what kind of mileage you run, but the trek towards Des Moines is scenic albeit hilly.

Got a latte there on my way to Olympia from the airport and had to stop at the grocery store first. It was awesome!