Things that have Blown Overboard

Just recently on the Explorer and starting a thread like this came to my mind. When i was sitting reading my book i turn the page and that was the page i stuck my bookmark in and as soon as i turned the page my bookmarker flew out of the book and right over the side of the ship! Got me thinking of what else others on the forum have lost due to wind such as hats which i know got overboard alot but what other things!

On the Freedom last year I was carrying several slices of pizza for my group who were sitting by the pool. When opening the door to go back out on deck w/all my pizza slices, a couple flew overboard. I guess the fish had a good lunch. My husband lost a great hat too.

On our first cruise, in the Caribbean on the Brilliance, I was playing football (soccer) with some teenagers on the basketball court, being nearly 40 I was stood in goal while they were taking pot-shots at me. Anyway, one of them hit the ball hard and I stopped it with my foot, unfortunately it flew about 10 feet in the air and was carried overboard by a strong gust of wind. I went to the counter where they hand over the balls and apologised and explained the situation and asked for another ball. The look the guy gave me was incredible, he told me in no uncertain terms not to do it again as if I had done it on purpose the first time. This was 5 years ago so if anybody has seen a ball floating in the Caribbean sea can they let me know and I will return it to the ship :)

The basketball court on the Voyager/Freedom class is notorious for stealing things and throwing them overboard.

My son lost his baseball hat while on the Freedom while playing basketball. Last year on the Mariner during the dodgeball game many a balls went overboard. Thought the activity guy running the game was going to have a fit :eek:.

My eyeglasses! That were clipped to my shirt... and I was not even standing at the rail.

This was on Granduer from Bermuda last year. Wearing my sunglasses with my eyeglasses folded over the neck of my t-shirt. Gust of wind comes along, lifts them of my shirt and carries them about 6 feet to the rail and then overboard. Probably could not recreate those exact events again in a test lab, but the wind sure enough took them!

I was just on a Pacific Coastal cruise on Holland America last month. We were docked in Victoria for the day and as the day wore on it got more and more windy, with some pretty severe gusts. When my friend and I were getting back on the ship we had to REALLY hold on to the railing to avoid getting blown off.

We headed up to the buffet and were sitting there when several lounge chairs that had been folded and stacked up (believe me, no one was lying around in the sun) went flying overboard. Several crewmen ran out and were trying to rope them down, but a couple more escaped and jumped ship.

I have both seen and while playing different activies sports activities seen different balls going over. Golf balls, Volleyballs, basketballs(rarely), soccer balls(often), dodge balls. Most of this on the Radiance class ships. With no netting(besides the surrounding net of the perimeter) Anything that takes a good bounce goes right over. Sometimes there luckily enough to bounce over into the kids swimming pool, often I have seen them go over board. Funniest was they had a big volleyball tournament and I went up for a spike went off a guys head and w/o question over board. The sports staff now limit the numbers of ball per sailing there way of trying to get people to be more cautious. Acididents do happen

On our Liberty cruise, we played trivia nearly every day. We amassed quite a team, and kept going up against another team at virtually every game. For the last game, we tied, and the prizes consisted of RCCL ballcaps. After the game ended, and everyone had their caps, many of us walked out onto the promenade deck to check out the storm we were pulling up into. Needless to say, along the side there, it had gotten very windy all of a sudden, and the brand new hats of our opponents went flying overboard. I’m not gonna lie – it was kind of funny to me, give the good-natured competition we’d had going with them all week. :rolleyes:

Once on a Carnival cruise, the deck in back, with tables set up for eating that had napkin holders, ketchup bottles etc. A gust of wind came across, and caused the tables to fly, along with everything on it. I don't know if anything flew over board, but shortly after, they cleared the area. I should note that the ship was skirting a hurricane the entire trip.

I once found a dying starfish wrapped in damp towels and while trying to get it to the ships doctor for medical care a gust of wind took it overboard. I have always wondered if it survived.;)

That's terrible!! ;)

PS How do I get to be a member of S.T.A.R.F.I.S.H?

That's terrible!! ;)

PS How do I get to be a member of S.T.A.R.F.I.S.H?

Hi friend, just paste it in your sig. Open to all.

Back to the Op, on a sea day, this young woman came up to the pool and took off her sweatshirt/coverup. Her bikini top came off with the shirt, and the wind caught them. She managed to catch the sweatshirt, but not the bikini top. It is on the beach somewhere with the soccer ball:D.

Mrs. E. was with me and slapped me on the back of the head for looking. Is that fair?

I lost a watch! It it did not clasp, but was one of those that clips over my wrist, and does not connect on the two ends.

I bumped my wrist against the rail, and the watch came off and fell right overboard! Good thing the watch was cheap, and I was able to buy a new on at the next port.

On the Queen Mary 2, I was on the deck right below the bridge as we left Southampton.

I placed my GPS ( A Garmin GPS3 Plus) on the top of the steel bulkhead. It was about a foot wide, and it was a good 20 feet from where I was to the side of the ship AND the GPS had a nice rubber foot to help hold it in place.

Well..... a gust of wind came up, and I turned my back for a second. By then, the wind had pushed the GPS outboard along the railing until if flew off the side!! Luckily, it made it overboard, instead of hitting someone's head!

Aloha,

John

Archived