Star Princess - I am thinking of booking. Anyone on her recently?

Hflors

I am looking to book the Star Princess for a 28 day cruise in 2019. Have you been on her recently? It's been a long time since I cruised Princess. (15 yrs) I have been cruising HAL for a long time, but this new promotion of $100 deposit has caught my eye. Any changes since I last cruised? Would you recommend her and or sail her again?

I have looked at her deck plans and she seems to have a lot to do while we are onboard, any opinions?

Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Helen:)

I am looking to book the Star Princess for a 28 day cruise in 2019. Have you been on her recently? It's been a long time since I cruised Princess. (15 yrs) I have been cruising HAL for a long time, but this new promotion of $100 deposit has caught my eye. Any changes since I last cruised? Would you recommend her and or sail her again?

I have looked at her deck plans and she seems to have a lot to do while we are onboard, any opinions?

Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Helen:)

Have not been on the Star in a few years, but she is one of my favorite ships. I like the layout. I took the 28 day South Pacific cruise a few years ago and really enjoyed it. There were lots of private tours planned. If you don't enjoy sea days you might want to avoid this trip. I'd say go ahead and book it. You have lots of time to cancel and the $100 deposit is refundable.

She's going into dry dock in December 2017, but It's unknown if they are just doing a basic dry dock or making any changes such as those recently made on the Caribbean Princess. We are sailing on her to Hawaii in 2/2018 and are looking forward to it. We like this particular layout of the Grand Class ships.

We got off of her Sept 2. Alaska!!

I'm writing a review right now, but haven't gotten to the part where I actually talk about the ship.. Of course, when in Alaska, it's less about the ship and more about the destination.... I can understand that on a 28 day, the ship would be VERY important though. :D

While on her, we did notice that there were areas that she needed some paint.....seats in the Theater needed some attention, but honestly, there was nothing glaringly bad about her. None of that would even matter for your 2019 plans though as she's going to dry dock later this year.

I'd get back on her tomorrow and go back to Alaska if they'd just let me.... ;)

The captain on our cruise was Capt Michele Tuvo who gets RAVING RAVING reviews here on CC (Do a search on his name!!!) Now...right at this minute, I think he's relieving another captain for his vacation so on the Island...but he is slated to return to Star as his 'regular post' at least next year...perhaps 2019 too. If you have him as your captain for TWENTY EIGHT days, you are of all people MOST fortunate!!! haha!

She's a nice ship... I'd do the 28 day on her in a heartbeat...just haven't figured out how exactly to make that work yet.... haha!!

Edited by rgmacm

We were on her in early June for Alaska. This was the first time on her and liked the less crowded feeling. However, our balcony cabin slider curtain was broken and the rug was rippled. Not a HUGH problem but we have never been on any of the other Princess ships in this need of repair. Yes, she will be in dry dock the end of the year. Hopefully, these and some other worn areas are repaired. Enjoy your time on her!

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are helpful. We are still trying to decide, but I put this cruise on hold until the 22nd. One last question. This cruise is 28 days will there be many children? It looks like a large area for children. ON HAL we rarely have any children cruising with us. And have gotten use to a "more" adult atmosphere. Thanks for info.

Helen

Would like to know what the Piazza area is like as it is. Is it conducive to spending time with enough space and is there ongoing entertainment. Of course Alaska could be quite different. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

The Piazza area is right around the same size as other grand class ships. There is an International Cafe, espresso bar with seating area, Vines, a small alcove where they sell candies and some other stuff, and the internet cafe. There are tables and chairs around the central area where music is performed. It does get crowded during lunch and at times when there is entertainment. Two decks up on deck 7 starboard is Crooner's

If you have been on the Royal or Regal it isn't that large.

We enjoyed a 15-day roundtrip LA cruise to Hawaii on the Star in January & enjoyed the ship as much as we did in 2009 for 30 days from Sydney to LA. :)

This unofficial but generally accurate website for Princess dockyard maintenance speculates on might be done between 12/3-12/15/17.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/star-princess

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are helpful. We are still trying to decide, but I put this cruise on hold until the 22nd. One last question. This cruise is 28 days will there be many children? It looks like a large area for children. ON HAL we rarely have any children cruising with us. And have gotten use to a "more" adult atmosphere. Thanks for info.

Helen

A 28 day cruise will not have a large population of children. The ship does have the area to accommodate but, that will not be the case in your cruise.

Helen

Highly unlikely that there will be any kids on that long of a sailing. In general you will find Princess demographics very similar to HAL demographics.

We just got off the Star on 9/9 after our Alaska cruise and the ship is in great shape. No major problems at all and we loved the entire week. Captain Tuvo is absolutely amazing and his positivity and happiness is reflected in the crew as this was one of the friendliest crews we have ever had. Captain Tuvo was leaving the ship for 2 months when our cruise ended but said he would be back on the Star.

Would sail on the Star again in a heartbeat!

I was on the Star last October for a 7 day Coastal Cruise from Vancouver to LA. I had been on her previously early in her career in 2002 and can say she was just as nice 14 years later. She was in good shape, had been remodeled from the previous cruise, and all the crew was great. I have to agree with the poster about Captain Tuvo. I have never seen a Captain more approachable and easy to talk to. You would see him all around the ship from the Horizon Court to the Atrium area. I too am mostly a HAL cruiser but have to say the experience on the Star last year puts my recent HAL cruises to shame. I definitely would sail on the Star again.