How early to book for best pricing

Kate45

we are looking at an Alaskan cruise tour thru HAL for late May 2018. Should I book now, or can I wait a few weeks? What are the chances of the prices going up or down in that time. I'm also interested in your opinions of airfare going up. It's quite pricey right now for anchorage. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The process is very simple: if the cruise is a "TYPE A" - meaning it is popular and sells out quite quickly, the sooner you book it, the less you will have to pay.

On the other hand, if you decide on a

"TYPE B" cruise - one which does not sell well, with prices gradually sliding - and with huge discounts for bookings made in the last week, you can get prime accommodations (plud on-board credits) for minimal cost.

All you have to do is figure out, IN ADVANCE, whether you are buying a TYPE A or a TYPE B cruise,

The odds are that prices will be stable for the next few weeks but you never can predict it for certain. If you want to go on a specific cruise tour, it's always best to book as early as possible. We tend to wait and book as late as possible because we seldom have a specific cruise picked out.

Does anyone know how the airfare goes as far as advanced booking? I realize if the cruise price comes down, I can probably get the reduced rate but airfare is non-refundable. I would wait until 3 months before our cruise but if the fare goes up a lot, I will be kicking myself.

Does anyone know how the airfare goes as far as advanced booking? I realize if the cruise price comes down, I can probably get the reduced rate but airfare is non-refundable. I would wait until 3 months before our cruise but if the fare goes up a lot, I will be kicking myself.

There is no way to predict what airfares are going to do...it all depends on supply and demand.

Nobody here is going to be able to tell you when it is best to buy. You just have to do your research, buy when you are comfortable, and don't look back.

Agree with Paul. Also the selection of staterooms will be better. You do have to tie up the deposit money sooner BUT HAL has the Explore4 on those cruises right now (through 17 November this year per the details -- that's an awfully long time for this or any promotion to run, but that's what it says) meaning that the deposits as well as fares for 3rd and 4th person in a cabin are reduced. Deposits that would be $1200 per cabin are now $600! and you get your stateroom of choice.

Some people's cruises went up as much as the promotional's benefits (which also include the Signature Beverage Package and dinner in the Pinnacle Grill upcharge restaurant), but our FOURTEEN DAY Alaska cruise went up only $100, so it was to our benefit to re-fare (we had no other perks to lose!).

Oddly, they are making the E4 applicability to a cruise pretty hard to find! Before you choose your stateroom on the search page, click [itinerary] and there is a button under every stateroom picture that says [Explore4 details] if the cruise has the package.

Air fare fluctuates in response to demand -as does cruise fare. It is possible that extremely low cruise fares on a certain itinerary might increase demand for flights to that port - but playing timing on both really amounts to gambling.

As with virtually any significant purchase - be it a cruise, or gold bullion for your retirement nest egg, timing is everything.

When you see something you want, at a price you think is fair - buy it. If prices then drop, you might be able to get an adjustment - and be unhappy if you don't; if prices go up you should be happy. If you wait too long, the cruise might be sold out, then you would be unhappy.

At the end of the day, if you concentrate solely on getting the cheapest cruise, you are more likely to be unhappy than happy.

How long is a piece of string? Prices are based on supply and demand. Plus how fussy you are about cabin type, location.

We live within driving distance of Vancouver. Any time during the past two or three seasons we could have booked a fare, say 30 days out for $500. or less depending on ship and cabin. More for a balcony if available. Last summer, 2016, we saw 7 day insides on several cruise lines going out the door at $299/$399. More for obstructed outsides and balcony cabins. Usually on HAL, NCL, and Princess. Great discounts as well for land/cruise 9-10 day combos. This season's late booking prices were higher than the previous year. Possibly because of the good exchange rate for Americans or the reluctance by some to travel to Europe.

You can always book. They you are locked in . But you can take advantage of lower pricing if it comes along and if you cancel prior to final payment date there is typically no charge.

Typically with cruises, you can book now and if you come across any better deals between now and final booking you can ask for a price adjustment. We have done this with both Celebrity and NCL. I am not sure about HAL but seems to be a standard practice in cruising.

With flights set up an alert for your particular dates on google.com/flights.

We just returned from Alaska cruise on Fri night, was wonderful and they sell out pretty quick. We booked ours a 14 months prior and ensured our hump cabin :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums