Bayonne shared shuttle to EWR

mlanders

Has anyone taken the shared shuttle from Bayonne to Newark airport? What is the cost? Do you have to make reservations for the transportation? Where do you get on the shuttle and pay for trip? Are the lines long to get onto the shuttle?

Has anyone taken the shared shuttle from Bayonne to Newark airport? What is the cost? Do you have to make reservations for the transportation? Where do you get on the shuttle and pay for trip? Are the lines long to get onto the shuttle?

The shared shuttle is $16 to the airport. No reservations. You go to the taxi dispatcher, he puts you in a shuttle van,, and when it's full, off you go. You pay the driver.

Haven't read any feedback about shuttle lines or other problems with the Cape Liberty livery services. The Bayonne dispatcher seems to do a good job of keeping things moving. Hauling folks out of CL is big business in Bayonne and they want to make money by making as many trips as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay do I understand that I do not need to worry about booking a shuttle to Newark Airport from the pier?

That the taxi service is approx $16.00 each via a van.

I have a 12pm flight and should not have a problem getting there in time without booking inadvance.

That's basically it, but.........

Make sure you tell RCL that you have a noon flight. Go to guest services early in the cruise to ask for an early disembarkation time. Get off the ship and on your way to the airport in a timely manner.

Is there any way this can be booked in advance? I've always had my airport transfers booked before we leave home.

No advance booking.

This isn't the cruise line airport transfer, which you would be able to book in advance (provided your flight meets their guidelines for departure time).

Edited by njhorseman

You can book a private car service in advance, but you can't book the shared shuttles from Cape Liberty.

The way it works is that you go to the taxi dispatcher and he puts you in a shuttle. Sometimes you may have to wait a few minutes for the shuttle to fill. You also have the option of paying for a private car. A ships's arrival is big business for the livery services in Bayonne and they really try to get people out of there quickly so they can make as much money as possible.

Thank you.

Not sure what X will offer but I doubt it would be included in the cruise fare.

I was in no way saying or suggesting that Celebrity's shuttle to the airport would be included in the cruise fare. All I said is that if you want to book a shuttle in advance, you could book the cruise line's.

Cape Liberty just doesn't work like the Florida ports. It is very much a DIY operation. Few hotels offer a Cruiseport shuttle.

Newark Airport is among the busiest US airports. It is not a vacation destination and cruising is not a big part of its economy. However, the one thing the airport does have is lots of transportation available.

The taxi dispatching system seems to work pretty well at Cape Liberty. No livery car or shuttle can pick up at CL unless they go through the taxi dispatcher or are privately called by a cruiser. Prices are preset and agreed upon before you leave. From the feedback we've gotten the prices are reasonable.

I'm sailing from CL on Jan 23 and will be using Bayonne Taxi to get to the port and the Taxi Dispatcher to get out of the port. I'm arriving in Bayonne by light rail and will call Bayonne Taxi for a pickup. One of the cars going into the port will swing by the station and pick me up. Outbound I will use one of the shared shuttles to the light rail if time permits. Otherwise I will take a shared shuttle or a taxi to Newark Penn Station.

When I sailed in Nov, the taxi dispatch system was well organized and less chaotic than in the past. They DO have a sign posted with fares.....and i too will be doing this to get back to EWR so I can hop on the train after the cruise. (I know, i can go to Newark Penn, but there's a method to my madness...as my plans will not be set in stone til I am actually there..:eek::D)

• 3 months later...

We had to pay $57.50 per couple in a van from cape liberty to Newark Airport.

guessing a 20 minute drive $230.00 per van!

Old van with 8 passengers and it still cost us $57.50 PER COUPLE!!!! They charged each couple toll charge .... the driver only paid a $1.60 for the Van but we all had it added to our fare.

OLD VAN's ... the worst experience we have ever had with 17 cruises under our belt.

Old van with 8 passengers and it still cost us $57.50 PER COUPLE!!!! They charged each couple toll charge .... the driver only paid a $1.60 for the Van but we all had it added to our fare.

OLD VAN's ... the worst experience we have ever had with 17 cruises under our belt.

Unfortunately you must have booked with some disreputable company (they exist in every port so to point a finger, at NJ really isn't fair).

The official sanctioned shared ride service to EWR from Cape Liberty costs $16 per person. No advance booking is required. Just see the dispatcher when you exit the cruise terminal.

Unfortunately you must have booked with some disreputable company (they exist in every port so to point a finger, at NJ really isn't fair).

The official sanctioned shared ride service to EWR from Cape Liberty costs $16 per person. No advance booking is required. Just see the dispatcher when you exit the cruise terminal.

I, too, just disembarked Celebrity Summit on 5/3/15 at Bayonne.

When we got out of the terminal, there were no signs directing us to "Shared Shuttles." We stood in a taxi line for a few minutes before I went up to an official Dispatcher (well, she was wearing a Dispatcher shirt and carrying a clipboard) and asked where we should be for a shared shuttle. She directed us to the front to start a new line, looking for 8 people. With no signage for "Shared Shuttles" there could have been others in the same taxi line in front of us who also wanted shared rides.

She quoted us "$28.50 per person" for the ride to EWR. Then, she directed us to a van which already had 8 and we squeezed in there, making 10 in our van.

Our driver did not collect additional tolls from us.

I wonder if the price has increased since the bridge construction and their inability to get back to the port for multiple pick-ups? We had a quick drive over the bridge to the airport, but we saw the heavy traffic, down to one lane, heading back toward the port.

When we got out of the terminal, there were no signs directing us to "Shared Shuttles." We stood in a taxi line for a few minutes before I went up to an official Dispatcher (well, she was wearing a Dispatcher shirt and carrying a clipboard) and asked where we should be for a shared shuttle. She directed us to the front to start a new line, looking for 8 people. With no signage for "Shared Shuttles" there could have been others in the same taxi line in front of us who also wanted shared rides.

She quoted us "$28.50 per person" for the ride to EWR. Then, she directed us to a van which already had 8 and we squeezed in there, making 10 in our van.

I wonder if the price has increased since the bridge construction and their inability to get back to the port for multiple pick-ups? We had a quick drive over the bridge to the airport, but we saw the heavy traffic, down to one lane, heading back toward the port.

You might be right about the road construction delays being the excuse for raising the shared shuttle fare.

Wouldn't a taxi have been cheaper?

No. These are the "taxis". All the walk up livery service at Cape Liberty is controlled by the livery dispatcher. Independent cabs cannot just drive in and pick folks up unless they are prebooked. The normal fare from EWR per car service/taxi should run about $55-60. The whole point of sharing a van is to get a reduced rate. Otherwise you might as well book the RCL or Celebrity transfer or book a taxi/car service.

No. These are the "taxis". All the walk up livery service at Cape Liberty is controlled by the livery dispatcher. Independent cabs cannot just drive in and pick folks up unless they are prebooked. The normal fare from EWR per car service/taxi should run about $55-60. The whole point of sharing a van is to get a reduced rate. Otherwise you might as well book the RCL or Celebrity transfer or book a taxi/car service.

I'll just add that I overheard someone ask the dispatcher what the taxi fare would be to EWR and she quoted "around $80." Therefore, we went for the shared van service for $57 for two.

I am only quoting what I overheard so I don't know from first hand what the taxi fare actually is.

I know the point if shared shuttles is to save money. It seems like an independent car service would have cost the same as the shared shuttle.

Not sure what everyone was using and I really do not think that the prices went up so high...seems that some fringe services were trying to get fares at the pier....

There is a sign outside the dispatch booth which is in the median area just steps from the terminal....

The higher price almost sounds like the cruise line shuttle prices and NOT the shared vans.....I just don't see the prices going up that much, that fast when they'd been the same for several years...

There is a photo of the sign in my blog, linked below...

Not sure what everyone was using and I really do not think that the prices went up so high...seems that some fringe services were trying to get fares at the pier....

There is a sign outside the dispatch booth which is in the median area just steps from the terminal....

The higher price almost sounds like the cruise line shuttle prices and NOT the shared vans.....I just don't see the prices going up that much, that fast when they'd been the same for several years...

There is a photo of the sign in my blog, linked below...

I wish I had seen your post BEFORE I got into that POS van that was purported to be transportation to EWR....

But my grade of "F" for Bayonne still stands.