How long is the drive from Port of Livorno to Cinque Terre

Eppe4

We've been advised that all 5 towns will be open again by next September. Would like to know how long the drive will be. We've heard 1.5 hours, another source says 3 hours. Anyone done this private tour? I've also put this post on the port of call thread.

We've been advised that all 5 towns will be open again by next September. Would like to know how long the drive will be. We've heard 1.5 hours, another source says 3 hours. Anyone done this private tour? I've also put this post on the port of call thread.

I searched Rick Steves' Cinque Terre book & he recommends to not drive there because of the roads & lack of parking. It only says that it's 130 miles from Milan & takes 2.5 hours to drive. Unfortunately in his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book he doesn't say how long it takes to drive from Livorno. In his opinion it's best to get there by boat, train or bus instead of driving.

I searched Rick Steves' Cinque Terre book & he recommends to not drive there because of the roads & lack of parking. It only says that it's 130 miles from Milan & takes 2.5 hours to drive. Unfortunately in his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book he doesn't say how long it takes to drive from Livorno. In his opinion it's best to get there by boat, train or bus instead of driving.

Cugino, would you take a private tour to CT from Livorno? The OP is my friend and we are contemplating doing this while on the Royal next year.

Lew & Astro Flyer,

Thank you both so much for your help. I have the tour operator booked and just wanted to be sure of the distance. The driver will drop us off at the top and we'll work our way down to our pick up point. We've had so much success with private tour operators in the past and the price is quite reasonable. D/H will no longer drive in Europe anymore.

Cugino, would you take a private tour to CT from Livorno? The OP is my friend and we are contemplating doing this while on the Royal next year.

Cugina, it would be great to join all of you unfortunately we're not on the Med cruise prior to the TA so we won't be with you in Livorno. :( It was suggested by tour companies and tour guides to not go when will be there this December. Our plans are to go to Cinque Terre during our pre-Royal stay in Tuscany next October instead.

Lew & Astro Flyer,

Thank you both so much for your help. I have the tour operator booked and just wanted to be sure of the distance. The driver will drop us off at the top and we'll work our way down to our pick up point. We've had so much success with private tour operators in the past and the price is quite reasonable. D/H will no longer drive in Europe anymore.

It sounds like a great trip! :D

Cugina, it would be great to join all of you unfortunately we're not on the Med cruise prior to the TA so we won't be with you in Livorno. :( It was suggested by tour companies and tour guides to not go when will be there this December. Our plans are to go to Cinque Terre during our pre-Royal stay in Tuscany next October instead.

It sounds like a great trip! :D

Again, Thank You so much for your input. We are so looking forward to finally getting to CT, don't want to put if off any longer, the hips and knees are not getting any younger. They have just started back touring there, the mudslides devastated the area.

Joyce you could ask Woobstr112c (Bob & Holli) on your Royal roll call. He arranged a private tour last Oct to Cinque Terre and it was great. Even got to make a stop in Pisa (not on tour itinerary) on the way back to the ship.

Joyce you could ask Woobstr112c (Bob & Holli) on your Royal roll call. He arranged a private tour last Oct to Cinque Terre and it was great. Even got to make a stop in Pisa (not on tour itinerary) on the way back to the ship.

Thanks Tina, I appreciate your help. How did Bob's wife make the long walk, I thought see has a very hard time walking? Rememer that from a conversation about Eze.

Thanks Tina, I appreciate your help. How did Bob's wife make the long walk, I thought see has a very hard time walking? Rememer that from a conversation about Eze.

She made it ok. For our tour, the Rome In Limo guide drove us to Manarola. From the dropoff, we walked down a pathway to the bottom and then walked through the tunnel and then on the section they call "Lover's Walk" to Riomaggiore. This was a neat walk and our only actual walk from a village to a village. There we caught the ferry boat to Vernazza where we had lunch. The van picked us up I think between 1 and 2 to head back to the ship. The tour was about 9 hours in total and we did have time to walk around Vernazza. When we were there, the path to the village (sits way on top of the hill) was closed. I don't see how anyone could walk the complete path between the five cities in a day tour. Would love to spend a pre cruise in that area and tackle the complete walk.

We're doing Princess's tour next week and in the description it says a 90 minute drive.

The Princess site shows 2 hours going and 2.5 hours returning. I suppose they have changed something.

Edited by Pia1913

The Princess site shows 2 hours going and 2.5 hours returning. I suppose they have changed something.

Interesting, I didn't look at the print out of coming back but going it had 90 minutes. You're right something probably has changed. I'll let you know for sure when we're back.

Joyce, I had the wrong tour for Bob & Holli. Went back and checked our Ruby Princess Oct 2011 cruise spreadsheet and they didn't do the one to Cinque Terre. I was with them on the Amalfi Coast tour they organized. My bad.:( But this is still a fantastic tour.

The Princess transfers always include a "restroom" stop along the way. Takes at least 30 minutes to unload, let them shop for trinkets and load the bus again. That's one of the reason we always prefer private tours.

We're doing Princess's tour next week and in the description it says a 90 minute drive.

Thanks for your input. People are just realizing that they can return to the Cinque Terre, I'm very excited.

She made it ok. For our tour, the Rome In Limo guide drove us to Manarola. From the dropoff, we walked down a pathway to the bottom and then walked through the tunnel and then on the section they call "Lover's Walk" to Riomaggiore. This was a neat walk and our only actual walk from a village to a village. There we caught the ferry boat to Vernazza where we had lunch. The van picked us up I think between 1 and 2 to head back to the ship. The tour was about 9 hours in total and we did have time to walk around Vernazza. When we were there, the path to the village (sits way on top of the hill) was closed. I don't see how anyone could walk the complete path between the five cities in a day tour. Would love to spend a pre cruise in that area and tackle the complete walk.

If you are on a daytrip from a cruise, it would indeed be impossible to walk between all 5 villages. If you are NOT on a cruise (and therefore have no time restriction on when you get there and when you have to be back), you can do it in one long day. I was staying in Vernazza with two friends. We started out between Vernazza and Monterosso after breakfast. Walked around Monterosso awhile (the house at the end of the "beach" has some amazing architectural embellishments (!)) and sampled some gelato and some fruit juices, then took the train to Riomaggiore. Walked around Riomaggiore and then took the hike to Manarolo. Walked around Manarolo and had lunch there. Hiked between Manarolo and Corniglia. Walked around Corniglia and took the bus to the top of the hill. Finally, the hike between Corniglia and Vernazza. Got back to the apartment exhausted LATE afternoon. Cleaned up and walked over to Il Pirata for dinner. It was an amazing day!!!

If you are on a daytrip from a cruise, it would indeed be impossible to walk between all 5 villages. If you are NOT on a cruise (and therefore have no time restriction on when you get there and when you have to be back), you can do it in one long day. I was staying in Vernazza with two friends. We started out between Vernazza and Monterosso after breakfast. Walked around Monterosso awhile (the house at the end of the "beach" has some amazing architectural embellishments (!)) and sampled some gelato and some fruit juices, then took the train to Riomaggiore. Walked around Riomaggiore and then took the hike to Manarolo. Walked around Manarolo and had lunch there. Hiked between Manarolo and Corniglia. Walked around Corniglia and took the bus to the top of the hill. Finally, the hike between Corniglia and Vernazza. Got back to the apartment exhausted LATE afternoon. Cleaned up and walked over to Il Pirata for dinner. It was an amazing day!!!

Sounds like a wonderful day. Maybe one day we can spend some time in that part of Italy.

• 3 weeks later...

We plan on doing this next April pre-cruise.:) We have our reservations in at a B&B for three nights in Monterosso. We will most likely break the hike up and do it in two days.

Edited by Tenn4ever

We just finished a B2B on Carnival Breeze totaling 24 nights. We much prefer DIY or private excursions, but we did Cinque Terre with the ship out of Livorno because I was a little worried about the distance and all the connections. Its about 2 hours with a potty stop. We Loved Cinque Terre, but if you can find a reliable tour guide I think that would be better than trying to stay in a group with 48 other people.