You Never Forget Your First . . .

Calgon1

It's often said that, "Your never forget your first."

Fo myself, it was the ATS General Simon B Buckner back in 1953. A trans-Pacific from Tokyo, Japan to Honolulu, Hawaii.

bucknerpers10_zps8308303e.jpg

What was yours??? Please post a photo, if possible . . .

So true! The first cruise is always special! :)

Mine was 53 years ago on the SS Bahama Star ... and gave me a lifelong love of cruising. :D

LuLu

Here you go . . .

The Bahama Star was previously the Arosa Star of Arosa Line. She had been built in 1949, and was owned by Eastern from 1959-69.

BahamaStar02_zps4c1ba5e1.jpg

I had been on many boats and yachts since the 40's.

When DH and I got married, it took me years to get him off the buses, planes, trains, taxis -- land tours.

So our first cruise -- actually cruises -- back-to-back -- didn't happen until the 80's.

The Cunard Countess -- 14 day Caribbean cruises round trip from San Juan.

th?&id=HN.608042025125412910&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

This is an interesting thread! I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of the classic ships. I regret that we didn't discover our love of cruising earlier, but life happens. Better late than never.

Our first cruise was in 2007 on the Carnival Conquest. It doesn't come close to the ones you folks have sailed on, but it's a start. :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

13 day Panama Canal Cruise on the Grand Princess 1998 - Not only was the cruise memorable, I will always remember waiting outside the dining room in a bar for late seating and exactly on time, every night, the Maitre'd would say over the speakers:

"And now....Ladies and Gentlemen, Buon Appetito!"

And ALL the doors to the dining room would open automatically.

It was such a "Wow" moment every evening and it made dinner such a fun event! I remember having caviar, lobster and so many other wonderful meals on that ship. I still remember our waiter and assistant waiter who went by Julius and Caesar and we're still in contact with some of our table mates from our first cruise ever. I remember them saying their suite was rather crowded with their suitcases - but I had read up on cruising, so I knew they would fit under their bed - and told them, which helped them out. We've all cruised many times since - in fact, I believe they are on a cruise now. And we've also cruised together twice since that first cruise. But that first cruise was an absolutely unforgettable and wonderful experience.

I remember the day we got home, as dinnertime approached, I thought, time to get ready for dinner! Then I realized I would have to cook.

http://www.princess.com/images/learn/ships/grand_princess/photo_gallery/ap_exterior_lg.jpg

My first cruise was in 1976 on either the Rotterdam or the Statendam. Since I can't even remember the name of the ship or where it went (either to Nassau, or Bermuda, or both Nassau and Bermuda), it wasn't very memorable. I guess it's because I didn't really care for HA. I sailed with them a second time on whichever of the above two ships I didn't sail on the first time in either 1980 or 1981. See, I can't even remember the year.

I have no desire to sail with HA a third time.

My first cruise was in 1976 on either the Rotterdam or the Statendam. Since I can't even remember the name of the ship or where it went (either to Nassau, or Bermuda, or both Nassau and Bermuda), it wasn't very memorable. I guess it's because I didn't really care for HA. I sailed with them a second time on whichever of the above two ships I didn't sail on the first time in either 1980 or 1981. See, I can't even remember the year.

I have no desire to sail with HA a third time.

Found 'em both -

Rotterdam -

Rotterdam_1958-Holland-America-Line_zps9a349f54.jpg

Statendam -

Statendam06_zps787eb865.jpg

Here you go . . .

The Bahama Star was previously the Arosa Star of Arosa Line. She had been built in 1949, and was owned by Eastern from 1959-69.

BahamaStar02_zps4c1ba5e1.jpg

Thanks for posting this ... very fond memories! :)

Gosh, (telling my age) I was only 16.

LuLu

The Homeric -

Began life in 1931 as the Mariposa (butterfly) for the Matson Lines. In 1953 she was sold to the Home Lines and rechristened the Homeric. She suffered a major galley/dining room fire in 1973 and was scrapped in 1974.

Homeric06_zps3fcd629d.jpg

The Carmania -

Had an interesting history. Originally named the Saxonia (Cunard) in 1954, she underwent a major refit in 1962 and came out of drydock as the Carmania. In 1974, she was sold to the USSR and renamed the Leonid Sobinov carrying happy party members on Black Sea cruises until 1989, when she became the property of the Ukraine. She was scrapped in 1999.

Carmania_zps17c8fde3.jpg

The Mardi Gras -

The first cruise ship for Carnival Cruise Line, in 1971.

When introduced, Carnival was a infant of a company, and did not have deep pockets. The Mardi Gras was renovated while she carried paying passengers. During her first year of operation, sections of the ship were actually closed off, while upgrades were made to the entire ship - a section at a time.

There were even reports that during her first cruise, Carnival needed to empty the slot machines of cash to pay for fuel for the return trip. The fuel supplier was unwilling to provide Carnival with a line of credit and wanted a payment in cash.

Her final voyage was to Alang, in 2003.

MardiGras_zpseb0ce5eb.jpg