Kid's ordering off main menu?

tophatgirl

On our last cruise, the kids were always given a specific kids menu. They were a bit tired of the same few choices each night. Now that they are older, they would likely like steak or fish, etc. Is this allowed? Any experience here? This is only our 2nd cruise and YES I have already searched the forums. ;) ;)

Thanks in advance!

On our last cruise, the kids were always given a specific kids menu. They were a bit tired of the same few choices each night. Now that they are older, they would likely like steak or fish, etc. Is this allowed? Any experience here? This is only our 2nd cruise and YES I have already searched the forums. ;) ;)

Thanks in advance!

No problem at all. Ours orders items from a combination of the kids' and adult menus.

Thanks in advance!

When we took our grandchildren our lovely waiter told them to be adventurous and if they ordered anything that they really didn't like he would gladly get them something else, the frogs legs they loved them and snails not so much!!!

We are are taking our grandchildren again next May and as their fare is the same as ours they will order whatever they like from the main menu, they are far more adventurous than I am.

Enjoy and hope your kids do to.

Elizabeth

On Celebrity kids (Infants thru Older Teens) pay the exact same amount as Adults for their Daily Grats ... As they get the same level of service from Housekeeping & Dining Personnel... So yes they are free to order from the Regular (or Child Menues) as they / or you choose.

* NOTE - Some of the Dining Venues / Specialty Restaurants however have an age requirement of 12 and older. So check before you make a booking

Cheers!

When we took our grandchildren our lovely waiter told them to be adventurous and if they ordered anything that they really didn't like he would gladly get them something else, the frogs legs they loved them and snails not so much!!!

We are are taking our grandchildren again next May and as their fare is the same as ours they will order whatever they like from the main menu, they are far more adventurous than I am.

Enjoy and hope your kids do to.

Elizabeth

Agreed. Our grand kids our very adventurous in trying new foods and already eat things my BW and I never even heard of at their age. Two of our grand kids are bicultural and also eat lots of exotic foods. They will enjoy being treated as adults in the MDR or the buffet come to that.

I agree with everyone else. A cruise is the perfect opportunity for them to try new dishes that you might not want to order for them in a restaurant.

And while this isn't applicable to Celebrity, Carnival has a great banana split on their kids menu and you don't have to be a kid to order it!

We were never given the children's menu. We requested it once or twice. They can 100% order off the adult menu. They will also do some off menu items as well. They made some beautiful fruit plates cut into shapes for my girls. But my kids liked ordering the salads and some soups from the adult menu. But often had a steak for their entree. We were a bit more limited from food allergies (now outgrown) so I think our upcoming cruise will be more enjoyable. They are also more than happy to bring something else if their first choice isn't agreeable. Also even if you don't regularly use the kids menu you can change your mind any night if they feel like chicken fingers or a burger one night but not the rest. They also have some less adventuresome adult items like Caesar salad, steak, salmon etc on the anytime menu if they don't want kids food, but might not be as adventurous.

We were never given the children's menu. We requested it once or twice. They can 100% order off the adult menu. They will also do some off menu items as well. They made some beautiful fruit plates cut into shapes for my girls. But my kids liked ordering the salads and some soups from the adult menu. But often had a steak for their entree. We were a bit more limited from food allergies (now outgrown) so I think our upcoming cruise will be more enjoyable. They are also more than happy to bring something else if their first choice isn't agreeable. Also even if you don't regularly use the kids menu you can change your mind any night if they feel like chicken fingers or a burger one night but not the rest. They also have some less adventuresome adult items like Caesar salad, steak, salmon etc on the anytime menu if they don't want kids food, but might not be as adventurous.

The only cruise line we have been given a kid's menu was when we were on Costa. Chicken nuggets, burgers or pizza every night. At that time that all my daughter would eat. So this was alright.

Now she is adventurous. She loves the Celebrity French onion soup. She is looking forward to new things on the Solstice in 6 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I can't speak specifically for Celebrity, but we've had the same experience on all cruise lines.

My kids have been cruising since 2 and 3. Perhaps only on their first cruise they ordered exclusively off the kid's menu. But by about their second cruise ... they would order off the adult menu. My daughter loves her steak/roast beef/prime rib. When a four year old orders her steak medium-rare, you know she's serious about her beef :D

Like all kids, they enjoy their chicken fingers and fries, but they usually reserve that for lunch. For dinner, they almost exclusively order off the main menu. Every ship customizes it for them too. If they order prime rib, they will bring them the adult-plated prime rib, but switch out the mashed/baked potato for French fries. My kids love Caesar salad, so they order that off the main menu too. Desserts, they pick and choose. I think it was HAL that had unique sundaes every day on the kid's menu, so that was always a bonus for them.

Thank you for the great replies! I feel like lunch is a great time for tenders/burgers/fries, but in the evening lets try something a bit more well-rounded! Plus, comparing my 5 year old in 2011 to my 8 year old now....she is much more willing to try other foods!

I may ask our maître de to not even give us the kid's menu!

Sara

Cruise #2

Celebrity Reflection, December 2014

Cruise #1

Celebrity Eclipse, December 2011

You might have two. On two cruises, kids were 2 and 4, and 3 and 5, we were never offered the children's menu. We had to ask for it the two times we wanted it. They always just gave them the adult menu. They even had their drink waiting for them each night. They also can do an entree off the adult menu and still give them some fries or a fruit plate or plan steamed vegetables if they want to try an adult item, but maybe a plain vegetable.

Encourage them to try other things at the buffet too. The children's offerings were better at dinner than sitting on the buffet. My girls loved the aqua spa soups, pork lion, grilled chicken, salmon, tuna etc. They also had some nice salads as well.

Please let me know how your children enjoy the Reflection. We will be on her in April. My kids will be 5 and 7.

Cruising Celebrity since 1993, with some other lines in the mix like NCL and Princess.

Edited by RCKM43

Our kids always ordered from the adult menu.

This reminds me of an amusing story. Back when we had set dinner times we were seated with a young couple from the midwest who were newbies. I told them I would not be offended if they wanted to sit with people who did not have young children (ours were 7 and 10) but they assured us it was fine.

One day the husband looked at the menu, saw quiche and said, "what is a "kwitch"? My seven year old calmly explained, "It's pronounced "Keech" and told him what it was. I chided her for correcting an adult, but he was very gracious about it, and said he was grateful for knowing the correct pronunciation.

After that, at every meal, he deferred to my 7 year old to find out whether a menu item would be to his liking!

Very true - Four years ago my seven year old daughters would mix it up. My husband and I would encourage them to try new things and order themselves. I can still hear my daughter ask for the "escargot, french onion soup and fish sticks"! They learned how to ask for what they wanted. They would speak loudly and clearly and mastered their 'please' and 'thank you' A good experience

Thank you for the great replies! I feel like lunch is a great time for tenders/burgers/fries, but in the evening lets try something a bit more well-rounded! Plus, comparing my 5 year old in 2011 to my 8 year old now....she is much more willing to try other foods!

I may ask our maître de to not even give us the kid's menu!

Sara

Cruise #2

Celebrity Reflection, December 2014

Cruise #1

Celebrity Eclipse, December 2011

Don't forget, on the Reflection, the Mast Grill is a great option for a quick burger, and either the Porch or the Bistro on 5 are fine options as well for a small price. Something tells me that your kids would love the Bisto on 5 crepe options.

As an aside, adults can order off the celebroty kids menu too

On our third or fourth Celebrity cruise my husband, my daughter (age 10), and I were seated the 1st evening at a table for 6. An older gentleman was already at the table. While we were looking over our menus, this gentleman was joined by his niece and her daughter (age 7). The young lady had clearly had a long day and was somewhat fussy, but the mother was making it worse by yelling at her to behave. I have never understood why any parent thinks yelling at your tired, out-of-sorts, child will make him/her behave better. Anyway, at this point, while we were having worried thoughts about our upcoming dinner experience, the "lady" grabbed the adult menu out of our daughter's hand and handed her a child's menu. Not because she thought a child could only order off such a menu, but, because, in her own words, the food on the adult menu was crap, the child's menu contained the only edible food, and btw, she had already ordered her evening meals for the week---plain boiled chicken and rice. We were so stunned by this behavior that it took us a couple moments to react. We left the table, went straight to the maitre de and asked for a new table. It took some quick rearranging on his part, but our request was met.