Are packed lunches available?

Frenchteacher30

I am visiting the Mediterranean in July and it is a pretty port intensive cruise. This is also my first cruise. I am wondering if any of the dining venues offer packed lunches or at least wrapped sandwiches that you can take with you into port. I have heard that other cruise lines offer this service.

Or is the best option to grab some bread from breakfast and make your own?

Because of local agricultural laws most ports don't allow anything except prepackaged food (granola bars, etc.) to be taken ashore.

There will generally be an announcement in the daily schedule, signs at the exits. Depending on the port there may be officers with dogs (Australia and New Zealand use Beagles) to check your bags and if you're carrying any type of fresh food it may be taken away from you.

I am visiting the Mediterranean in July and it is a pretty port intensive cruise. This is also my first cruise. I am wondering if any of the dining venues offer packed lunches or at least wrapped sandwiches that you can take with you into port. I have heard that other cruise lines offer this service.

Sailed in the Med a dozen times on 4 different cruise lines and never heard of this being offered. It is illegal to bring any food (with the exception of packaged items--like chips) off the ships in many countries.

No packed lunches are available as most ports do not allow any non-prepackaged foods to come into their country.

In some Caribbean countries they will fine you if you are caught bringing something ashore. Possibly the same in the Med.

Steve

Do not grab bread and meat, make your own sandwich and take it off the ship.

Do not take fruit off the ship.

I think the only things you can be safe taking off the ship is something like a FACTORY SEALED granola bar, sealed nuts, etc.

Sometimes you can take coffee or tea off but I've had them taken away, too, so ask before getting off about this one.

Try some local foods and above all, Have fun!!

We did an eleven day med cruise last year and one of the best parts was the food!!! One of the best meals of my LIFE was in Santorini - don't settle for a sandwich stuffed in your bag for hours....stop at a cafe and treat yourself. You can spend as much or as little as you want, take as long as you want or make it a quick bite - but do taste the marvelous treats that are available to you.

In addition to the posts that clearly state the restrictions, most full day tours will have a lunch stop either included in your fare or on your own nickel. Many of the tour companies may stop at a tourist restaurant but the food will be good and the service swift so you can get on your way.

Enjoy every moment of your cruise.