Tipping?

guitarcrazy

Hello!

My elderly mom (86!) is going on a family reunion cruise. She expects she will take many of her meals in her cabin. She is in an aqua class cabin. Are tips included in the cost, or should she tip when food is delivered? If so, how much should she typically tip?

Thanks for your help!

The basic auto, or prepaid, gratuities include something for room service.

As long as she does the prepaid gratuities or leaves the "auto tips" in place she doesn't need to worry about passing out any cash gratuities to anyone. The only gratuities required beyond the auto/prepaid gratuities will be for extra cost beverages and spa services and they will automatically add these onto the bill for these items.

Now with all that said, a lot of people believe that it is appropriate to tip extra for room service as well as for great service from other tipped staff. But doing so is a personal decision and she can rest assured that she has not stiffed the staff if she does not pass out any extra cash.

If she does choose to tip extra for room service anything from a dollar or two up to $5 or so for a full meal is common.

Edited by Lsimon

Hello!

My elderly mom (86!) is going on a family reunion cruise. She expects she will take many of her meals in her cabin. She is in an aqua class cabin. Are tips included in the cost, or should she tip when food is delivered? If so, how much should she typically tip?

Thanks for your help!

One other point not related to tipping but her meals from room service will come from the MDR menu not the Blu menu.

Not exactly to the point of your question, but we have traveled with elderly relatives many times (up to 86 years and still hoping they can cruise again) and they absolutely loved the dinners the most. Hope you can convince her to try to make them if she is up to it, especially if you are all dining in Blu. I will say that the older they got, the more they decided to skip the morning hassle and order room service for breakfast. Gave them less stress in the morning trying to get ready, and they certainly were not fond of the buffet area as years passed. That said, Blu has a wonderful breakfast so I also hope she tries that. It would be a shame to miss it. Hope you all enjoy your cruise!

Not exactly to the point of your question, but we have traveled with elderly relatives many times (up to 86 years and still hoping they can cruise again) and they absolutely loved the dinners the most. Hope you can convince her to try to make them if she is up to it, especially if you are all dining in Blu. I will say that the older they got, the more they decided to skip the morning hassle and order room service for breakfast. Gave them less stress in the morning trying to get ready, and they certainly were not fond of the buffet area as years passed. That said, Blu has a wonderful breakfast so I also hope she tries that. It would be a shame to miss it. Hope you all enjoy your cruise!

Agreed, they should try and experience as much of the ship as possible and as much as they want.:D

Hello!

Thanks for your help!

room service is NOT covered by the daily service charge. $3-5 for a full meal is standard, less for a light breakfast

the people delivering RS are doing so in the hopes of earning extra cash as they are doing it on their down time from their regular duties.

Edited by spookwife

room service is NOT covered by the daily service charge. $3-5 for a full meal is standard, less for a light breakfast

the people delivering RS are doing so in the hopes of earning extra cash as they are doing it on their down time from their regular duties.

Sorry, but the fact room service gratuities are included in the daily service charge. I've confirmed this twice over the years with Celebrity via email. A portion of the daily auto gratuity is designated for "other service personnel". Here is a response I received from Celebrity last year responding as to whether room service is included in that category:

...When is comes to the Special Service personnel these are those who you don t necessarily see everyday, but who are a very important part of your cruise vacation Including but not limited to (Head of housekeeping, Room service staff, pool bar staff, bar, club, lounge staff.

It is basically placed in a pot to be distributed to those who you come in contact with but would not think of providing a tip to. Please remember you are always welcome to provide additional tips to those who you feel have really gone above and beyond and provided above average service...

Many people do tip the staff, room service or otherwise, extra and I am one who does as well. But there is no rule, unwritten or otherwise, that this must be done. It is purely up to the passenger and should be based on their own preferences and customs. As I said above: As far as I'm concerned as long as you've paid the basic auto or prepaid gratuities you will not have stiffed any of the staff if you do not pass out any additional cash.

I'm also curious where you got your info about people who deliver room service doing it in addition to their regular duties. I've not heard that before.

Maybe confusing Celebrity with some other line? On Celebrity there are specific dedicated galleys and room service staff.

Now, the in room babysitters are often staff members looking to pick up some extra money in their spare time. But not the meal servers.

The basic auto, or prepaid, gratuities include something for room service.

As long as she does the prepaid gratuities or leaves the "auto tips" in place she doesn't need to worry about passing out any cash gratuities to anyone. The only gratuities required beyond the auto/prepaid gratuities will be for extra cost beverages and spa services and they will automatically add these onto the bill for these items.

Now with all that said, a lot of people believe that it is appropriate to tip extra for room service as well as for great service from other tipped staff. But doing so is a personal decision and she can rest assured that she has not stiffed the staff if she does not pass out any extra cash.

If she does choose to tip extra for room service anything from a dollar or two up to $5 or so for a full meal is common.

Can't agree with this as the basic daily gratuity is for the room steward and the dining room wait staff as broken down by Celebrity. Room service is not included.

While no tip is required the norm is normally a dollar or two per delivery.:)

Can't agree with this as the basic daily gratuity is for the room steward and the dining room wait staff as broken down by Celebrity. Room service is not included.

Larry is talking about the separate item in the gratuities which is for other service personnel, not the steward or waiters, I think its $1.75 per day. In another thread Larry mentioned that he contacted different people at Celebrity at different times and received the same answer. I certainly believe everything that Larry said as he is one of the most credible sources on this board.

Sorry you do not believe me. I do not have any agenda nor need to convince people of something that is not true. My only purpose in my prior post was to share accurate information based on what I've learned from Celebrity.

Quite a few years ago Celebrity added a category to their gratuity schedule covering a nondescript group of employees in addition to the stateroom attendants and dining room staff. I believe it has been called both "alternative service" and "Other Service Personnel". At the time this was introduced there was a lot of discussion on Cruise Critic as to whom this might include. I emailed Celebrity to ask about this and was given a list of staff this applied to and recall that it included room service staff. Unfortunately I did not retain that email. In early 2013 there was a thread or two on this subject and the subject of whether room service staff was included or not. Since I could not find that earlier email I emailed Celebrity again to ask about this and specifically asked if room service is included. In my post above (#9 on this thread) I included a quote from their email response. If you haven't already done so then please take a look at it and believe me that I am not making this all up.

I've noticed that recently Celebrity has stopped breaking down the gratuity pool and now just states a total gratuity amount. But if you look at a brochure from a year or two ago you'll see the allocation for "alternative service". I've attached a page from a 2103 brochure which shows this. This is the category which is shared, in part, with the room service staff.

Again: I have no agenda here and have no desire to persuade people not to tip. I believe the staff works hard and deserves everything they can get. We do tip extra in cash but that is our personal choice. But at the same time I believe people need to know the facts as presented by Celebrity so they can use the information to make their own decisions.

er-Pages from Celebrity-2013-2014-Caribbean-Brochure.pdf

Sorry you do not believe me. I do not have any agenda nor need to convince people of something that is not true. My only purpose in my prior post was to share accurate information based on what I've learned from Celebrity.

Quite a few years ago Celebrity added a category to their gratuity schedule covering a nondescript group of employees in addition to the stateroom attendants and dining room staff. I believe it has been called both "alternative service" and "Other Service Personnel". At the time this was introduced there was a lot of discussion on Cruise Critic as to whom this might include. I emailed Celebrity to ask about this and was given a list of staff this applied to and recall that it included room service staff. Unfortunately I did not retain that email. In early 2013 there was a thread or two on this subject and the subject of whether room service staff was included or not. Since I could not find that earlier email I emailed Celebrity again to ask about this and specifically asked if room service is included. In my post above (#9 on this thread) I included a quote from their email response. If you haven't already done so then please take a look at it and believe me that I am not making this all up.

I've noticed that recently Celebrity has stopped breaking down the gratuity pool and now just states a total gratuity amount. But if you look at a brochure from a year or two ago you'll see the allocation for "alternative service". I've attached a page from a 2103 brochure which shows this. This is the category which is shared, in part, with the room service staff.

Again: I have no agenda here and have no desire to persuade people not to tip. I believe the staff works hard and deserves everything they can get. We do tip extra in cash but that is our personal choice. But at the same time I believe people need to know the facts as presented by Celebrity so they can use the information to make their own decisions.

The only problem that I have is that this gratuity was not added, it was a change of name. It used to be called the Head Housekeeper and when it was transferred to a different name the cost was the same. Below is one of the many threads and discussions on this board about why this person should be tipped. Just pointing out that his was not a new tip when Celebrity changed their tip structure. As I said earlier I believe Larry, not so sure about the sources. Doesn't matter to me, I rarely order room service and when I do I throw them a couple of dollars anyway.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=302735&highlight=head+housekeeper

Edited by dkjretired

The only problem that I have is that this gratuity was not added, it was a change of name. It used to be called the Head Housekeeper and when it was transferred to a different name the cost was the same. Below is one of the many threads and discussions on this board about why this person should be tipped. Just pointing out that his was not a new tip when Celebrity changed their tip structure. As I said earlier I believe Larry, not so sure about the sources. Doesn't matter to me, I rarely order room service and when I do I throw them a couple of dollars anyway.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=302735&highlight=head+housekeeper

When the changed the tip system they increased the recommended tip $1.00 from $10.50 to 11.50 (It has since increased to $12). $0.50 of the increase was a change from the $0.75 recommendation for head housekeeper to $1.25 for "Alternate service". As I recall this was about the time they switched the tips from completely voluntary to automatic daily charge and also around the time they started Select dining with its requirement that tips be prepaid.

If only I was as good as remembering where I left what around the house, what I was supposed to get at the market once I get there and what else I was supposed to do today.

Edited by Lsimon

Larry, not to beat a dead horse, but do you have suggestions for tipping the Butler in a suite? Our tips are $15/day. I would love to let them unpack and I guess deliver breakfast,and other "things they give us", make dinner reservations, etc.

Larry, not to beat a dead horse, but do you have suggestions for tipping the Butler in a suite? Our tips are $15/day. I would love to let them unpack and I guess deliver breakfast,and other "things they give us", make dinner reservations, etc.

I'll give the same answer I always do for tipping questions: The tips are included in your prepaid/auto tips so tipping additional is optional. Whether you chose to tip additional is a personal decision you should base on both your own preferences and customs and your own evaluation of the level of service you receive.

Personally, if we receive good service we tip extra. In considering the amount I'd typically consider the tips built into the auto tips and think of a percentage of that amount. Celebrity's current info does not break down the $15 but the most recent time they did the butler's tips were $3.50 per person per day. I also tip extra if we've had requests that I felt went beyond the norm. For example, the only time we had a butler, many years ago on the Galaxy, we had a large veranda and had big party out there. The butler did a great job preparing it and setting up beverage supplies and snacks and then cleaning up while we were at dinner so I tipped him extra specifically for that big task (can't remember the amount years later).

Edited by Lsimon

I'm just back from the Reflection, where my 80 year old mum had a fantastic cruise. We too were in Aqua Class and I know she would encourage your mom to dine in Blu. The servers truly spoilt my mum and it is much less hectic then MDR and nicer than room service all the time.

Wendy

It's been a few years since we've sailed Celebrity and I just booked a 2015 cruise. I was surprised to see the following on my confirmation, "Please be advised that you must prepay your gratuities. Please verify that your gratuities are on this invoice and paid when Final Payment is due". If that is the case, why mess around with this charade and just add it to the price of the cruise and say gratuities are included? I don't stiff anyone and on other lines, I've let them add the gratuities to my cabin bill and have given additional tips in cash on the last evening for those that went above and beyond. This reminds me of "resort fees" that some hotels slip in later or all those additional fees one sees on their phone bills.

I realize that they also do that with taxes, fees and port expenses but those can vary. Tipping is at a set rate/day and making it mandatory no longer makes it a tip in my mind.

Franknca

I realize that they also do that with taxes, fees and port expenses but those can vary. Tipping is at a set rate/day and making it mandatory no longer makes it a tip in my mind.

Franknca

I couldnt agree more. I have no beef with ensuring someone earns a decent wage, so why not pay them one and include it in the fare.

Then those that wish to can truly reward good service rather than feeling obligated.

Did you opt for Select dining? If you did, then prepaid gratuities are mandatory. But I believe they are not if you have opted for either of the two fixed seatings.

Thats not what celebritys website says

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

A 15% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq551

After my recent experience I honestly think it is about time Celebrity included gratuities in the cruise price. You can remove your gratuities and 4 out of the 8 passengers on our table removed theirs. The service was excellent. Our waiters could not have been more attentive and we always had time to enjoy our coffee before going to the late show. I did get annoyed hearing 'nobody ever gave me a tip' but I did assume they would give a cash tip - NOTHING! And quite proud that they were making a stance against Celebrity

They would not listen to or accept that it was the waiters wages - they believed Celebrity would make this up. I would like to think so.

I must admit that, in the past, I always felt that cruisers should choose whether to have gratuities taken from their account or give cash to individuals - always assuming that they would do one or the other.

A growing demand for select dining - gratuities being paid - so Celebrity why not make it all Select dining and avoid certain passengers not paying their waiters.