Athens Airport to hotel in town, best way?

Konalinda

Doesn't the Athens subway go to the airport?
I don't mix subways and luggage. We took a cab from the port to our hotel and our hotel to the airport. It was two years ago so I don't remember the cost. Edited by IECalCruiser

We used PKtravel last year for a tour and they were very responsive. Potoula always got back to me promptly with any questions I had. They do private transfers to and from airport, too.

We found their prices to be just a bit more than a taxi would have cost. They picked us up from the cruise ship. Very reliable. Very nice

https://www.pktravelgreece.com/private-transfers/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Just back from Athens and the flat rate airport to downtown is 38€ whether by taxi from the queue or prearranged pickup. Differs only between midnight and 5:00am. We used welcome pickups and they were waiting for us. You can pre arrange on line as well as prepay so you do not have currency issues. Driver grabbed my wife's suitcase so easier than cab line. PK also has a great rep.

By the way there is an ATM across the street from the Attalos so do not worry about euros. The Metro would work but if you have much luggage a cab is so much easier. Do not worry about flight time with respect to pickup, you enter your flight number into their service and they track arrivals

George's Taxi, they met your aircraft. Go on line for a quote. Couple years ago Euros60 to the Hilton and then Euros35 to the port

Edited by intel

Depending on your age and ability, Attalos is close to the Metro station that has a train coming from the airport. We went from Attalos to airport two years ago. You can take the express train from airport and get off at Metro station straight down the street from Attalos. The station has an elevator and you can roll your luggage right off the train to the station to the elevator and continue rolling right up the street if you're able. Fare was only about 8 Euro each in 2014.

I checked our expenses from two years ago and at that time we paid 20 Euro for a taxi from the port to the Crowne Plaza. The next day we paid 45 Euro for a taxi from the Flea Market to the the Crowne Plaza, waiting time to get our luggage and then to the airport. Both of those totals include a 20% gratuity. I know it is Europe but habits are hard to change and they did have to deal with our luggage.

Depending on your age and ability, Attalos is close to the Metro station that has a train coming from the airport. We went from Attalos to airport two years ago. You can take the express train from airport and get off at Metro station straight down the street from Attalos. The station has an elevator and you can roll your luggage right off the train to the station to the elevator and continue rolling right up the street if you're able. Fare was only about 8 Euro each in 2014.

Another fan of using the metro. We stayed at the Attolos Hotel a year ago and took the metro from the airport to the hotel. It's the M3 line (blue on the map). We each had a 27inch suitcase with a carry on that fit over the handle. We had no problems handling the luggage fro airport to the hotel. Since the airport is the origin, there was no problem with seats. We got off at the Monastiraki step which is about 2 flat blocks to the hotel. Look for the distinctive red and green patio panels on the hotel's balconies. Best of all, cheaper than a taxi and no traffic.

Just back from Athens and the flat rate airport to downtown is 38€ whether by taxi from the queue or prearranged pickup. Differs only between midnight and 5:00am. We used welcome pickups and they were waiting for us. You can pre arrange on line as well as prepay so you do not have currency issues. Driver grabbed my wife's suitcase so easier than cab line. PK also has a great rep.

By the way there is an ATM across the street from the Attalos so do not worry about euros. The Metro would work but if you have much luggage a cab is so much easier. Do not worry about flight time with respect to pickup, you enter your flight number into their service and they track arrivals

We will be 4 ladies together, one in mid 70s. All in decent shape but doubtful we want to pull luggage 2 blocks. I currently have a reservation for shuttle but their confirmation says they will expect us at 11:00 (we are to arrive at 10:30am). If we are not ready then, we are to contact them and perhaps there will be room on the 12:00 shuttle. Sounds like taxi would be a better option. Hopefully there is a taxi that can carry 4 people. When you say that you used welcome pickups, is that a taxi you prearranged?

we are arriving Aug. 24 in Athens for the cruise Aug. 27. Traveling from Hawaii, we thought a couple days in advance would be wise. Not sure what condition we will be in after flying 24 hours.

Thanks to all for helpful information.

I've got kinda mixed opinions about taking the subway from the airport myself. It's been a few years, but we did it when we stayed at the Athens Hilton. It was doable, but I don't know that I'd do it again. We found the subway started getting more and more crowded the further we got in, to the point where getting off of it was not all that easy. Then after getting to street level, crossing the major road we had to cross to get to the hotel was definitely something of an experience - anyone that's seen Athen's drivers would probably recognize how crossing a major street, even at a light, while dragging a couple suitcases would be "exciting".