Out of Line Taxes/Fees

Was considering a 12 day Regatta cruise next March, but noticed port charges of $299 and taxes/fees of $144 per person. While many Caribbean ports are included, these amounts seem excessive to me. Anyone have any insight on this or how to check to avoid being ripped off?

Unless you want to conduct a major research project, there's no way to know whether the port taxes and fees are padded (which is what you seem to be implying). I'd suggest looking at the cost of the total package. In the end, that's what gets deducted from your checkbook.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

One can compare similar itineraries. Though not exactly the same ports, other lines-Radisson, Crystal, Celebrity-are less in terms of Port and Taxes, but as you say the bottom line may be more.

I think Oceania is charging too much, but cannot rigorously prove that. It is disconcerting that they advertise 2 for 1 specials and then add approximately $450 per person for these fees and port. The buyer should be informed.

Not clear what you mean, Beatrice, by"port charges included." that was not so in the quote I received. Port charges of $299 and Taxes of $144 were both additional charges.

Port charges can be a contentious and confusing issue. Somewhat off topic, but back in 2001 several cruise lines settled class action suits filed by passengers who claimed that the cruise lines collected port charges but did not in all cases pass them on to governmental agencies responsible for the ports.

Without admitting guilt, Celebrity, Renaissance, and others reportedly anted up and provided vouchers to their former passengers.

A press summary of the 2001 class action decision is at http://*****.com/ypgdu

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marienbad:

Not clear what you mean, Beatrice, by"port charges included." that was not so in the quote I received. Port charges of $299 and Taxes of $144 were both additional charges.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know where you got your quote but go to Oceania's web site, then to Cruises and Destinations then Search All, then pick a destination, select a cruise from the list, then from the top select Fares. At the bottom of "Fares" you will see a seperate listing for port charges and the statement that they are included.

I also checked the invoices for both my first, and my forthcoming Oceania cruise. Both list taxes but not port charges.

Beatrice

Thanks for the clarification, Beatrice. I assume the cruise fare you were quoted included port, not taxes. Sometimes they give the fare that way, and sometimes not. While the port charges Oceania stated for my trip are slightly high, it is the $ amount for taxes that I think are really inflated. Other lines for similar cruises are quoting $35-$50 per person.

Cruise pricing is as big a mess as airline pricing.

I was also surprised by the amount of taxes that are added to the published price. In the end, though, it is the bottom line that counts after the 2-for-1 deals, "free" air, taxes etc are all figured in. I was pleasantly surprised by how much cruisequick.com was prepared to discount the price quoted by Oceania. The bottom line for our South America cruise next January looks reasonable.

Their Caribbean cruise port chgs and taxes are even more - Port chgs are $329 and taxes are like $165 so we paid almost $1000.

Again. The port charges were included. You did pay the taxes seperately. Check your invoice.

Beatrice

• 4 years later...

I have tried many times to get a breakdown of all fees and charges through my TA. Forget it! O will not fess up. Seems that they don't have to provide that information.

I also believe that the fees are excessive; on the other hand what is the total cost of the cruise? The latter should be more important than a breakdown of all the charges.Depends on what is important.

Who knows? Maybe someone will prevail in getting the requested breakdown. Don't count on it!!

Was considering a 12 day Regatta cruise next March, but noticed port charges of $299 and taxes/fees of $144 per person. While many Caribbean ports are included, these amounts seem excessive to me. Anyone have any insight on this or how to check to avoid being ripped off?

Dear Guest-

The Itinerary for that Cruise includes Virgin Gorda, St. Barts, Dominica, St. Johns, St. Lucia, and Grand Turk.

Now, I won't include your stop in the Dominican Republic here, because that is a rather plebian port, plagued by tremendous poverty and wracked with crime. Frankly, we wish that Oceania would stop using it.

However, the rest of those ports are smaller, more exclusive destinations which are certainly more expensive to use than the mega ports of San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

You must keep in mind that these islands rent out their cruise ship berths in much the same way as a hotel rents out rooms.

Sometimes the strategy is to do a huge volume of business and charge very little above cost......sometimes they keep the prices stiff to keep the experience exclusive.

Another thing to consider is tendering versus being berthed. Tendering is much less expensive, because the ship is really renting an anchorage, not a berth.

We took this cruise in March of '07, and the only tender port was St. Barts.

Given the general quality of the ports, and the logistical advantage gained by being on a 650 passenger ship, we would suggest that $30 per person per port is not unreasonable.

Edited by StanandJim

My TA breaksdown the fees for us on her invoice.The taxis and fees are $763.00 pp for the 14 day Med Tapistry on the Insignia July 26th.The fuel Suppliment is $140 .00 pp.Which if we get back will cover 6 or 7 nites of wine bottles for dinner.

I realize the point of the breakdown in port fees is still a problem for some....

I do not know any cruise line that gives you the breakdown per port.

However this thread is from 2004

Port fees are based on # of passenger/crew at the time of docking, size of ship etc...so many variables it would be hard to compare

Edited by LHT28

Too me its not a problem,cause the fees and taxes are the same for that cruise I think, if you take an inside or Penthouse suite.I know they cant be discounted off the fair thats why its a seprate price from the cruise fare.Just pay it and fagetaboutit.

• 1 month later...

On the Queen Mary 2 in December and the quote was $269 for the fare and taxes and port charges brought it up to $870. Still a wonderful 12 days. BTW just booked a night by night 6 day tip to Key West and the hotel alone was $160 per night for ordinary chain. Cruising at this time is a really great bargain just wish you could go more places from FLL.

What did you really think of the DR? Don't hold back now.

Seriously though, we are on this itinerary next year - did you enjoy each stop, which was your favorite, any tips?

Cheers!

Dear Guest-

The Itinerary for that Cruise includes Virgin Gorda, St. Barts, Dominica, St. Johns, St. Lucia, and Grand Turk.

Now, I won't include your stop in the Dominican Republic here, because that is a rather plebian port, plagued by tremendous poverty and wracked with crime. Frankly, we wish that Oceania would stop using it.

• 8 years later...
One can compare similar itineraries. Though not exactly the same ports' date=' other lines-Radisson, Crystal, Celebrity-are less in terms of Port and Taxes, but as you say the bottom line may be more.

I think Oceania is charging too much, but cannot rigorously prove that. It is disconcerting that they advertise 2 for 1 specials and then add approximately $450 per person for these fees and port. The buyer should be informed.[/quote']

If you think it is too much..dont book Oceania..

Jancruz1

Jancruz1

A bit late for that advice I think...you replied to a 13 year old post. Even the most recent previous post on the thread was made more than 8 years ago.

I can't figure out what you were searching for that caused you to come up with this thread and reply to an ancient post. That's the type of thing normally only done by novice posters.

Jancruz1

Jancruz:

What caused you to dig up this oldie but goodie?

I had looked at a cruise on the Regatta for Australia/New Zealand and noticed their port charges were not comparable to those of HAL Noordam, and by that I mean they were more per person or by any other calculation for the same ports; how are port charges calculated (if you know)? Thanks.

A bit late for that advice I think...you replied to a 13 year old post. Even the most recent previous post on the thread was made more than 8 years ago.

I can't figure out what you were searching for that caused you to come up with this thread and reply to an ancient post. That's the type of thing normally only done by novice posters.

In the long ago past I got so sick of the "Can my husband wear his uniform to formal day" posts that I used to dig them up just to have people go through the same exercises over and over; did that for months before expanding to other posts from the grave and getting caught. It was fun while it lasted.