Rome to Civitaveccia or Barselona

GOLDENBONNY

Looking for possibilities of Europe cruise . Have two options from Barselona or from Rome. Same ship ,same ports so don't really care where to start. What I do care its a budget because of terrible Canadian $ :loudcry: Planning to stay 3 days before cruise in Barselona or Rome . How much its to get from Rome to Civitaveccia by taxi? Cost of Hotels and restaurants where is better ? I do Google a lot but personal opinion is better.

Any one can recommend B&B or apartment close to tourist attractions or good priced Hotel.

any special or unusual excursions or places to visit ? Anything special in Vatican? Is Scavi visit proper for 10 years old? Is there and bones or corps in open? she did Secret itineraries tour and she loved it.

Lots of questions for one post. :)

Starting from the top, I would imagine that if you would plan to stay in either place (Rome or Barcelona) before your cruise, then Barcelona is cheaper -- specifically, it's cheaper and easier to get from the area of Barcelona where most tourists stay to the port, which is much closer. Also, this is subjective but in general I would say you'll pay more for equivalent lodgings in Rome. But of course, you can opt for a less expensive hotel in Rome (or more expensive in Barcelona)....

In my mind, the big disadvantage of starting from Barcelona is that Rome really requires more than one day to see -- especially when your day is already going to be short due to having to allow an hour plus to get to/from the port. Whereas I think you can at least get some kind of a satisfactory day out of Barcelona as a port stop. So -- especially if you haven't been to Rome, then I'd strongly advocate for starting there and spending 2-3 days pre-cruise.

There are no bones or corpses in the Scavi tour. At most you'll see some sarcophagi in which people were buried. It's not spooky -- not like some of the Capuchin catacombs with the sculptures made from bones (or the preserved bodies, as in Palermo!).

I think it would be better to wait and solicit recommendations for hotels and transportation after you decide where you will start the cruise....

Lots of questions for one post. :)

Starting from the top, I would imagine that if you would plan to stay in either place (Rome or Barcelona) before your cruise, then Barcelona is cheaper -- specifically, it's cheaper and easier to get from the area of Barcelona where most tourists stay to the port, which is much closer. Also, this is subjective but in general I would say you'll pay more for equivalent lodgings in Rome. But of course, you can opt for a less expensive hotel in Rome (or more expensive in Barcelona)....

In my mind, the big disadvantage of starting from Barcelona is that Rome really requires more than one day to see -- especially when your day is already going to be short due to having to allow an hour plus to get to/from the port. Whereas I think you can at least get some kind of a satisfactory day out of Barcelona as a port stop. So -- especially if you haven't been to Rome, then I'd strongly advocate for starting there and spending 2-3 days pre-cruise.

There are no bones or corpses in the Scavi tour. At most you'll see some sarcophagi in which people were buried. It's not spooky -- not like some of the Capuchin catacombs with the sculptures made from bones (or the preserved bodies, as in Palermo!).

I think it would be better to wait and solicit recommendations for hotels and transportation after you decide where you will start the cruise....

thank you. My head is spinning :rolleyes:.

If you are doing 3 days precruise I would choose Rome to Barcelona. It's going to cost more but if you only had 1 day in each city, you would feel like you would have missed out more in Rome than Barcelona.

That's why I'm returning to Rome this fall.

If you are doing 3 days precruise I would choose Rome to Barcelona. It's going to cost more but if you only had 1 day in each city, you would feel like you would have missed out more in Rome than Barcelona.

Agree - I like Barcelona but Rome is in a rarefied class all by itself!

I vote Rome. Rome is better for precruise if you've never been there before. As stated above, as a port of call it is really not practical to see very much of Rome in a part of a day. I've sailed out of Civitavecchia twice, and look forward to doing it again soon.

I don't know what a taxi from Rome to the port would cost, but the regional train is 5 EUR per person and is fairly easy to take from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia. We used An online travel agency for hotels in Rome and Civitavecchia and felt like we got good value in both cities.

We have sailed to Barcelona before and you can get a good feel for the city in a full day tour. We just spent a week in Rome and there is still so much more we want to see!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know what a taxi from Rome to the port would cost, but the regional train is 5 EUR per person and is fairly easy to take from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia. We used An online travel agency for hotels in Rome and Civitavecchia and felt like we got good value in both cities.

We have sailed to Barcelona before and you can get a good feel for the city in a full day tour. We just spent a week in Rome and there is still so much more we want to see!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Train is not an option for me.

I guess Rome it will be :hearteyes: . Barcelona can wait till 2019 .MSC will have new ship there ;p

Now for Hotels or B& B . Any personal recommendation ? We need renovated clean place in safe neighbourhood close to Vatican . 30 min walk its Ok with us .

I guess Rome it will be :hearteyes: . Barcelona can wait till 2019 .MSC will have new ship there ;p

Now for Hotels or B& B . Any personal recommendation ? We need renovated clean place in safe neighbourhood close to Vatican . 30 min walk its Ok with us .

How much of your 3 days are you planning to spend at the Vatican? Because that area is somewhat isolated from the rest of the historic sites in Rome.

If you're willing to walk 30 minutes, and you're only going to spend one of your three days at the Vatican, I'd recommend looking for a place to stay around Piazza Navona. You can walk to the Vatican from there -- about 30 minutes, but you are so much closer to the rest of Rome's attractions plus lots of restaurants and safe, fun night-time scene, etc.

We rented an apartment right by the Piazza Navona and it was a wonderful location! We walked to the Vatican and the Spanish Steps. We walked all over. The coliseum was a bit too far. We stayed for 5 days and can't wait to return.

Key areas and sites around Rome are relatively compact. Just wanted to also suggest that if you are able to get a data plan from your home carrier (eg. TELUS Easy Roam, Rogers Roam like Home) or a local sim for your unlocked phone, we found using taking the bus around Rome was extremely easy using Google maps. It can open more options for you on where to stay and where to eat.

We've stayed near Termini station which is generally cheaper and is kind on the eastern edge of the sites. But it does have some sketchy-feeling areas. During our most recent trip, we stayed at a place northwest of the station and it felt fine. Termini is also a hub for the metro and buses so if we were too lazy to walk or our destination was too far, we just headed over to Termini to jump on the metro or a bus.

A private transfer from the more well known/used companies is about 120-130E. You might be able to snag a shared shuttle for about 65E if you don't mind picking up and riding with other cruisers.

Google maps is showing UberBlack costing about 144E while a taxi is showing 110-140E.

Have you considered staying in a convent? We have stayed in a great one which is right over the road from the entrance to the sistene chapel. Been there in 2012 and 2013 and very happy, spotlessly clean, lift, air con, ensuite bathroom, communal lounge area, communal kitchen, vending machines.

This year we are only in Rome one night after our cruise, before our 12.30 pm flight to Munich so have decided to be closer to termini. Also staying at a convent. 106 euro for a triple room with breakfast.

I just love the atmosphere of the convent in Rome, we aren't catholic.

How much of your 3 days are you planning to spend at the Vatican? Because that area is somewhat isolated from the rest of the historic sites in Rome.

If you're willing to walk 30 minutes, and you're only going to spend one of your three days at the Vatican, I'd recommend looking for a place to stay around Piazza Navona. You can walk to the Vatican from there -- about 30 minutes, but you are so much closer to the rest of Rome's attractions plus lots of restaurants and safe, fun night-time scene, etc.

Great ,thank you. Will look there

Key areas and sites around Rome are relatively compact. Just wanted to also suggest that if you are able to get a data plan from your home carrier (eg. TELUS Easy Roam, Rogers Roam like Home) or a local sim for your unlocked phone, we found using taking the bus around Rome was extremely easy using Google maps. It can open more options for you on where to stay and where to eat.

We've stayed near Termini station which is generally cheaper and is kind on the eastern edge of the sites. But it does have some sketchy-feeling areas. During our most recent trip, we stayed at a place northwest of the station and it felt fine. Termini is also a hub for the metro and buses so if we were too lazy to walk or our destination was too far, we just headed over to Termini to jump on the metro or a bus.

A private transfer from the more well known/used companies is about 120-130E. You might be able to snag a shared shuttle for about 65E if you don't mind picking up and riding with other cruisers.

Google maps is showing UberBlack costing about 144E while a taxi is showing 110-140E.

That what I need to avoid sketchy areas))) We don't use public transport I hate it .since school ):* Strange that UBer is more money than a reg. taxi. :confused:

Have you considered staying in a convent? We have stayed in a great one which is right over the road from the entrance to the sistene chapel. Been there in 2012 and 2013 and very happy, spotlessly clean, lift, air con, ensuite bathroom, communal lounge area, communal kitchen, vending machines.

This year we are only in Rome one night after our cruise, before our 12.30 pm flight to Munich so have decided to be closer to termini. Also staying at a convent. 106 euro for a triple room with breakfast.

I just love the atmosphere of the convent in Rome, we aren't catholic.

I am sure its interesting place but not for us. I want to enjoy Vatican not to be killed by husband there ;p

That what I need to avoid sketchy areas))) We don't use public transport I hate it .since school ):* Strange that UBer is more money than a reg. taxi. :confused:

Don't count on using Uber in Rome. As quoted, the cost is often higher than a taxi. (n)

In Rome you can mostly walk. The occasional taxi ride across town won't be that expensive if needed.

Getting to the port from Rome will be your biggest transportation expense if you don't want to use the train. (Like 6-8 times more expensive per person....) To manage cost you can look for a shared shuttle. I've used romashuttle.com several times for myself and for other family members. They are very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...