Just off BA....seems like Bliss is going to FL( maybe Miami)

BrPanthers99

Figured this would be a bigger story

Its not confirmed and seems unlikely to me. Getaway is "Miami" themed and Escape will be fresh in Miami. My hunch is NYC especially with the Gem going to San Juan in the same time frame.

Based on an interview with an Asia news organization the other day that Mr. Del Rio gave, it sounded like one of the newer ships would be going into the Asian, Australian markets. He said they were exploring those markets.

The Gem is going to be sailing out of San Juan for a short period of time and then returning to NYC. The Breakaway was built for the NYC market, The Getaway and The Escape for the Miami market.

The Gem is going to be sailing out of San Juan for a short period of time and then returning to NYC. .

Can anyone reference anything saying the Gem is staying in San Juan "for a short period of time then returning to NYC."? I've read that here on CC several times but without a source. NYC is the only major homeport with no cruises available for booking after Oct 2016.

Edited by P&Lcruising

Based on an interview with an Asia news organization the other day that Mr. Del Rio gave, it sounded like one of the newer ships would be going into the Asian, Australian markets. He said they were exploring those markets.

The Gem is going to be sailing out of San Juan for a short period of time and then returning to NYC. The Breakaway was built for the NYC market, The Getaway and The Escape for the Miami market.

If this is true, and it may well be, how would they get her over there? I would assume that this would require a transpacific crossing, but she is to be built in Germany so first there would need to be a transatlantic! Assuming the ship too big for the Panama Canal, wouldn't that necessitate her sailing round Cape Horn? Talk about an interesting trip! :)

I went back on found the article: Asia Cruise News dated 18 March, 2015

" Norwegian Cruise Line is considering to deploy its newbuilding to China in 2018. 'We have four newbuildings, and we are developing the skunkworks internally to evaluate China, we'll make a decision in the next few months on whether we go or not,' said NCL Chief Executive Frank Del Rio."

It will be interesting to see what develops. I do not know if She would be too big for the New Panama Canal that is supposed to be wider and deeper, if it is ever finished. Through the Canal or around The Horn either would be a great trip. Start saving your pennies.

I went back on found the article: Asia Cruise News dated 18 March, 2015

" Norwegian Cruise Line is considering to deploy its newbuilding to China in 2018. 'We have four newbuildings, and we are developing the skunkworks internally to evaluate China, we'll make a decision in the next few months on whether we go or not,' said NCL Chief Executive Frank Del Rio."

It will be interesting to see what develops. I do not know if She would be too big for the New Panama Canal that is supposed to be wider and deeper, if it is ever finished. Through the Canal or around The Horn either would be a great trip. Start saving your pennies.

That's very interesting news, I was unaware of that possibility, so thanks for the heads up. It seems like I'm always saving my pennies for a future cruise, but there are always more cruises than there are pennies! :rolleyes:

If this is true, and it may well be, how would they get her over there? I would assume that this would require a transpacific crossing, but she is to be built in Germany so first there would need to be a transatlantic! Assuming the ship too big for the Panama Canal, wouldn't that necessitate her sailing round Cape Horn? Talk about an interesting trip! :)

Could the ship not sail east after it was built or is it too big for the Suez Canal as well?

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

Can anyone reference anything saying the Gem is staying in San Juan "for a short period of time then returning to NYC."? I've read that here on CC several times but without a source. NYC is the only major homeport with no cruises available for booking after Oct 2016.

It was published as a Norwegian press release last year on the corporate website.

It was published as a Norwegian press release last year on the corporate website.

I looked back specifically before I posted on this thread on the NCL.com press releases and could not find it, tho I might have missed it. Do you have a link?

I looked back specifically before I posted on this thread on the NCL.com press releases and could not find it, tho I might have missed it. Do you have a link?

I found it in the December 9th Press Release talking about itineraries. Sorry, I do not know how to provide a link for you. You have to read the article very carefully. The Gem is toward the middle of Caribbean section.

I found it in the December 9th Press Release talking about itineraries. Sorry, I do not know how to provide a link for you. You have to read the article very carefully. The Gem is toward the middle of Caribbean section.

Norwegian returns to homeport in San Juan, Puerto Rico in 2016 on Norwegian Gem. She will sail a seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan on October 23, November 6 and 20, and December 4, 2016. Ports of call will include Bridgetown, Barbados; Fort-de-France, Martinique; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Norwegian Gem will also sail a variation of the seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary on October 30, November 13, and November 27, 2016. Ports of call include St. George's, Grenada; Castries, St. Lucia; Roseau, Dominica; St. John's , Antigua; and Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

Copied and pasted from the 12/9/14 press release, where does it say returning to NYC.?

Edited by P&Lcruising

Norwegian returns to homeport in San Juan, Puerto Rico in 2016 on Norwegian Gem. She will sail a seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan on October 23, November 6 and 20, and December 4, 2016. Ports of call will include Bridgetown, Barbados; Fort-de-France, Martinique; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Norwegian Gem will also sail a variation of the seven-day Southern Caribbean itinerary on October 30, November 13, and November 27, 2016. Ports of call include St. George's, Grenada; Castries, St. Lucia; Roseau, Dominica; St. John's , Antigua; and Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

Copied and pasted from the 12/9/14 press release, where does it say returning to NYC.?

Well it does say seasonal homeport of San Juan for the winter time, so it might comeback in 2017. Still no itineraries for NY (not even the Breakaway) after Nov 2016 at this time - so who know?

I do not know if She would be too big for the New Panama Canal that is supposed to be wider and deeper, if it is ever finished. Through the Canal or around The Horn either would be a great trip. Start saving your pennies.

I watched a program about the new Panama Canal, it's going to big enough for some of the largest ships. I would be incredibly surprised if it didn't fit.

I watched a program about the new Panama Canal, it's going to big enough for some of the largest ships. I would be incredibly surprised if it didn't fit.

I have a weird feeling that the Bliss is either going to Asia, Australia, Europe, Los Angeles or Vancouver. Because if it fits the Panama Canal - that a instant gold mine for NCL for West Coast trips and the Pearl can do more Alaska / Canada trips....

Well it does say seasonal homeport of San Juan for the winter time, so it might comeback in 2017. Still no itineraries for NY (not even the Breakaway) after Nov 2016 at this time - so who know?

Exactly. It says *seasonal* homeport.

In talking to the crew, although it is not confirmed, it seems like the Bliss is going to Florida, possibly Miami.

I seriously hope not... unless they will send it on a southern Caribbean routing. I would like to see some variation, like a BA+ on the west coast (Mexican Rivera and Alaska). RCI is sending a Voyager class to AK this summer, and X has sent a Solstice class ship to AK as well.

I wish the Bliss would go on NCL's signature premier itinerary...Port Canaveral Florida, Nassau and GSC..;);)

The Norwegian Bliss has been rumored to be heading to a new foreign market for a while now so I hope that plays out. Australia/NZ/Asia would be awesome. It's time for Norwegian to tap into that huge market, especially China.

As stated eairlier in the post. If it goes east, the Suez canal can handle full size aircraft carriers and the largest container ships, it should be able to handle a Bliss sized ship.

Germany to China shipping goes that way, they don't take the long way. A cruise ship may go west as a intresting itinerary though.

In talking to the crew, although it is not confirmed, it seems like the Bliss is going to Florida, possibly Miami.

I don't know about that but i do know the Escape will be going to the Carribean for summer sailings starting next year and one more ship as well. I am glad to see them back in the summer Caribbean market. This info came from the future cruise director on the Pearl last week. My guess is P&L has it right. There would be no reason to put the Bliss in Florida. It seems the crew is often the last to really learn what is happening. When we spoke with a crew member the other day, she mentioned NCL has always had a ship in the Caribbean during the summer and now will add another. I didn't say anything. Now, hearing it from the management dept on a cruise ship is a little different.

Edited by newmexicoNita