Another RCCL excursion accident

golfpccc

Serenade of the seas in Grenada earlier this week - while on a ships excursion, several people injured, 2 remained in hospital after their van flipped over onto its top. No life threatening injuries. RCCL staff member stayed behind with those hospitalized.

Seems like too many accidents with ship excursions lately!!

Carla

Serenade of the seas in Grenada earlier this week - while on a ships excursion, several people injured, 2 remained in hospital after their van flipped over onto its top. No life threatening injuries. RCCL staff member stayed behind with those hospitalized.

Seems like too many accidents with ship excursions lately!!

Carla

And by too many, you mean 2? With this being the 2nd.

If it was your family,,, it's too many.

If it's my family,,, it's too many

But since you don't know these people,,, 2 is NOT too many???:eek:

You are absolutely correct but I don't think anyone intended to be callous or in anyway diminish the impact to the persons and families involved. More likely they wanted to put aside the ideas that these accidents are common.

You are absolutely correct but I don't think anyone intended to be callous or in anyway diminish the impact to the persons and families involved. More likely they wanted to put aside the ideas that these accidents are common.

understood

We were in Grenada in November and took an independent van tour. The driver was a very good driver, but there was road work that prevented him from getting to one location using his usual route.

Coming from the other way it was about a 300 degree angle to turn onto the road [3 roads came together] There were trucks stopped on both other corners and several cars behind each and behind our van. . . . and did I mention this was on the side of the mountain? :confused: :eek: Our driver had to move up and back a few times to make room for the car behind him to go around and then there was room to move. DH was in the front seat. Everytime we moved forward we were on the edge. He said it was the most scared he has ever been traveling.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Maybe you should check the Celebrity boards about the fatal accident in Tortola either end of December or early January 2 killed and 16 insured. This was going over to Cane Bay

Ontario Cruiser

I'm glad those 16 had insurance, good idea.

Since December, there are at least 4 that have been mentioned on Cruise Critic, 3 of which had fatalities.

And? Let's see, rci does over 1000 cruises a year and let's say every cruise offers 15 ship sponsored excursions. That's a bunch of excursions. 4 are not many. I don't have the #'s for ship excursions accidents for royal for the last year, do you?

Edited by setsail

Accidents happen everywhere, you could get in a car wreck in Fond du Lac or Miami,

Not to minimize the fact of the accidents, but to remind people that accidents happen in every town that each of us live in everyday. Does that mean you stay in your house and never go out. I am sure not.

I worry about the 'quality of the drivers', just like I worry about the 'other drivers' on the road in my hometown. We have only once taken an excursion that was 'not through Royal' -- it was our feeling that perhaps Royal would vet the excursions more fully than we could on our own. Do I know if that is true, no? We did an independent excursion that people raved about, and it was a very nice excursion -- do I know if they have a better safety record for their drivers than others, no. But it was the only one of interest in that port, so we did it.

Life is full of risks......I just try to have appropriate insurance to take care of any 'eventualities' and then just live my life.

And? Let's see, rci does over 1000 cruises a year and let's say every cruise offers 15 ship sponsored excursions. That's a bunch of excursions. 4 are not many. I don't have the #'s for ship excursions accidents for royal for the last year, do you?

No I don't. I just did a quick search and found the 4 that I mentioned. But I'm sure there were others within the last year. Why do you ask?

Edited by time4u2go

There are way more than 15 ship sponsored excursions of a 3 day excursion, never mind a 7 day excursion....therefore making the statistic even smaller for the percentage of accidents over the course of a year.

Overall it is remarkable that there are not more accidents, probably.

I have been on a ship where there were 3 accidents on just the Flowrider; so therefore the cruiser did not even leave the ship.....but they did sign a waiver.

Edited by Paulette3028

Let's see. went to Nassau, someone slashed my had with a razor in a crowd. In China we were in traffic doing 70, everyone stopped, our cab slid under a truck 4 inches from windshield to rear (no bumper) In China we weredoing 100 mph and a truck on a 4 lane undivided, made a left we swerved right, he backed up we swerved left and missed him by a foot, never slowed. Got to Tianjen ship Port and were held up at gunpoint by Military. While they were interrogating the cabbie he said get out and we grabbed out bags and ran. In Shanghai we had an accident and a girl broke her finger and got a cut above 1 eye. Last weekend in Oklahoma, 2 separate accidents with 2 vehicles running a stop sign 5 miles apart and serious injuries with flyouts. One BMW was nearly cut in half. It ain't safe anywhere.

Keep your stick in the mud!

Let's see. went to Nassau, someone slashed my had with a razor in a crowd. In China we were in traffic doing 70, everyone stopped, our cab slid under a truck 4 inches from windshield to rear (no bumper) In China we weredoing 100 mph and a truck on a 4 lane undivided, made a left we swerved right, he backed up we swerved left and missed him by a foot, never slowed. Got to Tianjen ship Port and were held up at gunpoint by Military. While they were interrogating the cabbie he said get out and we grabbed out bags and ran. In Shanghai we had an accident and a girl broke her finger and got a cut above 1 eye. Last weekend in Oklahoma, 2 separate accidents with 2 vehicles running a stop sign 5 miles apart and serious injuries with flyouts. One BMW was nearly cut in half. It ain't safe anywhere.

Keep your stick in the mud!

PLEASE let me know where and when you are travelling, so I do not travel with you.