Being Left Alone

travelingtoes

Is it possible to cruise completely alone? Or will people be constantly trying to make you join their group or their dining table because they feel bad for you?

I'm intrigued by the solo cruising, but I would like to be left alone. Would be wonderful to have a few days to just do my own thing and not have to talk to anyone.

I'm not anti-social, I promise.

Is it possible to cruise completely alone? Or will people be constantly trying to make you join their group or their dining table because they feel bad for you?

I'm intrigued by the solo cruising, but I would like to be left alone. Would be wonderful to have a few days to just do my own thing and not have to talk to anyone.

I am the same. I did my first cruise ever back in June (TR in sig). I found that of my dining experiences, one MDR waiter seemed a little anxious about my solo status and wanted to chat more than I really needed; later in the cruise the waiters were too busy to fuss over me and I happily read a book while I ate. I also ate in the buffet a lot; people left me alone there. I was in a Solo Studio on an NCL ship, so there was a little small talk when I went in to the solo lounge for beverages, but no pressure to join any groups.

The only time I ended up in a conversation that went on well past my small-talk stamina limit was in a hot tub. Nice enough people but it was clear they could have gone on for hours. (This is not a stab at them--I think cruisers in general are gregarious types.)

Another trick is to always wear earbuds. :)

I have had both. The worst are other solo travelers who are afraid of being alone on a ship and assume you have to feel the same when traveling solo.

So far I've joined the groups I wanted to join and ignored them (and everyone and everything) else the rest of the time. You should be able to do the same.

The biggest problem I see is in the MDR. Tables for 2 are like hens teeth and at larger tables, I have seen singles paired so there are no open seats. Good luck.

I've never had a problem getting a 2-top on Carnival with Your Time Dining (YTD). Granted, there's not much space between the tables, but they are available. Your mileage may vary with other configurations and other cruise lines.

Yes, it is certainly possible. I gave my order to waiters for breakfast and lunch today and only talked briefly to saleswoman in store, she said you want to sign up for discount card, also asked if I was on a cruise I said yes, there are 3 ships in port. I read on my kindle for meals and read on the deck this morning. Not a lot of conversation, no one bothers me. I am on NCL Gem.

I sailed alone on HAL once. 14 nights, not one passenger said hello. Several did not want me at their tables. I have always remembered what to me was a very poor experience.I am a Senior female. I gathered that some of these cruise ladies thought I was after their husbands. So if you want to be left alone give HAL a try, Staff had same attitude.

I sailed alone on HAL once. 14 nights, not one passenger said hello. Several did not want me at their tables. I have always remembered what to me was a very poor experience.I am a Senior female. I gathered that some of these cruise ladies thought I was after their husbands. So if you want to be left alone give HAL a try, Staff had same attitude.

I have had similar experiences on excursions where I went solo. You'd have thought I had the plague.

I agree, these women don't want "single" women joining their tables, especially younger ones.

Most of the people who say hello are staff, they are trained to say hello, good morning, etc. occasionally you will get a chatty woman trying to get the scoop on you but focus on the scenery, your book or give brief or no answers, it is easy if you really don't want to be bothered. I think you give off a vibe. I just walked through the streets of Nassau and no one bothered me. Enjoy your cruise your way.

I agree, these women don't want "single" women joining their tables, especially younger ones.

Funny you should say that ... several years ago my mother and I were assigned to a table with 2 ladies from CA traveling solo and an older couple.

As soon as the wife found out that all 4 of us were single, she left the table in the middle of dinner and went to arrange table change.

Later in the cruise we became friends with a lovely couple from NZ that told us about the couple that joined their table on the 2nd night and the wife was complaining how they had to sit with 4 single women trying to seduce her husband once they found out he was a retired doctor.

We all had a great laugh about it :)

Funny you should say that ... several years ago my mother and I were assigned to a table with 2 ladies from CA traveling solo and an older couple.

As soon as the wife found out that all 4 of us were single, she left the table in the middle of dinner and went to arrange table change.

Later in the cruise we became friends with a lovely couple from NZ that told us about the couple that joined their table on the 2nd night and the wife was complaining how they had to sit with 4 single women trying to seduce her husband once they found out he was a retired doctor.

We all had a great laugh about it :)

Hmmm... I have been seated many times as a solo at tables with couples. No wives ever got miffed. Apparently I'm not threatening enough. I'll work on that :p

Hah. As a (relatively!) younger female who likes to travel alone, I'll have to keep this in mind and try not to frighten anyone.

I could get a t-shirt made:

"I ALREADY HAVE ONE AT HOME, I DON'T WANT YOURS"

;)

Fabulous.

I'm a solo guy and have never had any husband feel threatened by me. Then again, perhaps they'd be HAPPY if someone took their wives away! :rolleyes:

Hah. As a (relatively!) younger female who likes to travel alone, I'll have to keep this in mind and try not to frighten anyone.

I could get a t-shirt made:

"I ALREADY HAVE ONE AT HOME, I DON'T WANT YOURS"

;)

I'm considering traveling solo. I'm married..but he is a chronic complainer who doesn't want to travel much anymore and our kids are 15 to 25

I grab a kid or 2 or 3 or 4 lol to do cruises and Disney world from time to time but it's not always easy with their schedules

Anyway I am addicted to travel from a very young age and have done trips solo in my 20s to all parts of the world

So any married women with kids who travel solo out there....would you mind telling me your reasoning? Does dh get pissed? I know mine doesn't care when I go with the girls and is no way jealous of other men anyway.... Frankly he doesn't care nor do I lol.... But I know he would be difficult if I went alone

Just would like to hear some various reasons and stories of solo travel

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So any married women with kids who travel solo out there....would you mind telling me your reasoning? Does dh get pissed? I know mine doesn't care when I go with the girls and is no way jealous of other men anyway.... Frankly he doesn't care nor do I lol.... But I know he would be difficult if I went alone

I'm also married, no kids though. I travel with DH whenever possible. The thing is, I love to travel way more than he does. I'm talking road trips, weekend flights, anything. He would much prefer to stay home, hang out, play video games or watch movies. I thought traveling would grow on him, but it hasn't.

I can no longer sit around waiting until he's in the mood to see the world. I've got a lot left to see. So he says he's ok with me traveling alone. Mostly done US trips alone. He's not usually the jealous type, but he doesn't like being left alone. So I try not to leave for too long.

Just would like to hear some various reasons and stories of solo travel

Thanks

No kids, long term/serious relationship. He and I travel together sometimes, but I've been at my company a long time and I get about twice as much vacation time as he does. Meanwhile, we both are fairly self-entertaining introverts with a lot of various projects/hobbies, and we do well with a little time apart. This cruising thing is new for me, but so far he's being a very good sport about it. When I went on my first solo trip, his only retaliation was to buy a Wii-U. :) He'll be joining me on the upcoming one.

Edited by perditax